Tamiya 1/24 Mazda Miata/MX5

Following on from the great advice I received from Roy, regarding the Bug Cabrio I posted on the forum last week, I had to get stuck straight in to another build...

I have had this Tamiya Mazda MX5 for some time having chosen to build one to give to my wife. My wife has had a few MX5s over the years and a red Mk1 NA model was her first and I thought it would be a nice gesture to build her a model to remember her old, much cherished car by. Turns out this wasn't such a great idea as she immediately asked if we could get a real one for summer. Tut.

Anyway, I followed Roys advice regarding painting the car as best as I could with the main difference being that I had to do my rattle can spraying in the garden due to the fumes and excess paint landing on everything in my office. The recent warm weather and the bright red paint brought the kamikaze bugs and insects out in force but I have managed to remove most of them. Not an ideal setting for spray painting anything, especially bright red cars, but until I have invested in a desk top extractor (are they any good), it will have to do. The kit went together really well with no real issues. There is an option for a hard top but I don't see the point building the interior only to hide it. The body was given a couple of coats of grey primer followed by 6 light coats of the red with wet n dry rub downs in between. The body was then finshed with 3M Finesse it and Dodo Juice automotive wax. I was tempted to have a go at widening the rear number plate recess to better match that of a UK spec car and making number plates to match my wifes old car but lack of skills (this is my 4th car build) but pay to that. To have built a perfect tribute to my wifes old car would have also involved creating lots of 'rust' around the bottom half of the whole car.  Maybe next time...

Couple of other things I learnt whilst building this model it not to go mad with the wet n dry... it doesn't take much to expose the primer (or even the plastic on the raised details). The other thing I learnt was not to leave Revells brush cleaner in a plastic cup. I returned to my office after about 5 hours only to find that the cup had melted and that the cleaning fluid had leaked onto a shelf, ruining it and also melting the undercarriage on a couple of the Airfix starter plane kits I built last year. Oh well, every day's a school day.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, but here are some for you to check out. Again, any feedback, critical or otherwise is hugely appreciated.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Just noticed one of the mirrors has already been 'dusted off'... Must find that before the hoover does.

img%5D

img%5D

• Like 9

Many thanks! Sure the mirror isn't far away... They are pretty awesome cars (rust aside). We will be definately getting another one next. Wife currently has a new Polo GTI (she hates it), so she won't really consider anything else when it comes to changing her car.