Revell Paints on a Zvezda SSJ

After completing my first two models, I have quite a bit of spare paint left, including over half a pot of Silver Metallic and Lufthansa Blue, so I was looking for good model kits I could do without buying any new paint. I really liked the sound of a Zvezda Sukhoi Superjet in the Aeroflot livery, but wanted to ask you guys at BritModeller whether you think that the Silver Metallic and Lufthansa Blue Revell paints would be the right colour for the Aeroflot livery? Any other suggestions for models or paints welcome

BetaSingh

They may not be the exact shades, but if they look good to you, then that's all that matters :)

Be careful about the orange stripes. They tried their hardest to roll up into unusable little balls when I was doing mine. Use lots of water to help float them into position.

2 minutes ago, Jessica said:

They may not be the exact shades, but if they look good to you, then that's all that matters :)

Be careful about the orange stripes. They tried their hardest to roll up into unusable little balls when I was doing mine. Use lots of water to help float them into position.

What would you say would be the closest revell colours to the silver and the blue?

I can't tell you that, because Revell paints don't live on this side of the Atlantic. I used Testors spray silver and Humbrol # 15 on mine. It looks good enough for me. Remember, you're the final judge of your models. If you like them, that's the only opinion which counts.

In my personal opinion Revell silver is too bright for the Aeroflot livery which is more of a silvery grey than a pure silver.  i can give you an approximate match with Tamiya paint but not Revell.  However, as Jessica says, the only thing which matters is that you are happy with the final result.  If Revell silver looks OK to you, go for it.

Paint a test patch and then compare it to numerous photos of Aeroflot aircraft. Remember that painted surfaces look different in differing lighting, and also that paint changes over time due to the effects of weather (airliners don't generally get to come in out of the rain) so your particular aircraft may indeed look like Lufthansa blue to you.

Also, you can blend in varying amounts of white to lighten, or black to darken your Lufthansa blue to better match the colour of Aeroflot blue you see.