Javelin FAW7 help

cherisy

Ive happened accross a Mistercraft repop of the Plastyk Javelin.. Now, apart from consigning it to the bin, what would I need to do to turn it into a passable FAW7?. Does anyone have any decent MK7 photos or be able to point me in the right direction?

Don't bin it !  It can be done by resorting to good old fashioned modelling.(and DuncanB will be along in a minute to tell you how)

Here's a starting point:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/javelin/index.php

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/type.php?p=1089

Richard

• Like 3

This kit is a modification of the late-sixties(?) FROG kit, so it's about 1/10" short in the nose.  It also lacks the undercut on the lower rear fuselage between the tailpipes and the tailpipes themselves are  [quite a large] bit of a figment of someone's imagination.  That apart the overall shape isn't too bad but detail, or rather the lack of it, is very much of the kit's era, so you're going to be doing some scratch building.  I'm beginning to wish that I had picked up the example that our local kit purveyor had in recently but I've already got too many projects on the go.

• Like 1

The fin and rudder (Part 13) are much too thin in cross-section, a problem it's inherited from the Frog kit - where it was pointed out in a conversion article in an old copy of PAM News by a chap who had served as groundcrew on a Javelin squadron. See the photo here taken from the top of the fuselage - I can't link direct to the picture but it's the first one in the section headed "Tail". Annoyingly, like Frog, Plastyk produced the whole vertical tail as a single part, so you can't just shim it: when I built a Novo Javelin recently, I made a new fin and rudder from plastic card.

• Like 1

Hello cherisy!

Looking at the photos of the kit (I don't have the kit) it looks that is a FAW.9/9R. This means that You need to:

- remove the "bullet fairings" from the wing leading edges

- remove the protruding gun muzzles

- fill/sand the leading edges straight between outer gun and pitot tube (FAW.8 was the first with "kinked" leading edge)

- fill the four wing pylon holes (unless You are modelling a trial aircraft with missiles)

- drill holes for guns

- discard the long air intake scoops on top of the fuselage (Re-heat cooling intakes)

- re-scribe the details on Port intake side (Ground connection)

- make new aerials for "Violet Picture", "FI.5", "Rebecca"and communications

- build a new rear fuselage with non Re-heated engines

Hope these help for a start. Enjoy the build as Javelin is a very cool aircraft:)

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello cherisy!

Looking at the photos of the kit (I don't have the kit) it looks that is a FAW.9/9R. This means that You need to:

- remove the "bullet fairings" from the wing leading edges

- remove the protruding gun muzzles

- fill/sand the leading edges straight between outer gun and pitot tube (FAW.8 was the first with "kinked" leading edge)

- fill the four wing pylon holes (unless You are modelling a trial aircraft with missiles)

- drill holes for guns

- discard the long air intake scoops on top of the fuselage (Re-heat cooling intakes)

- re-scribe the details on Port intake side (Ground connection)

- make new aerials for "Violet Picture", "FI.5", "Rebecca"and communications

- build a new rear fuselage with non Re-heated engines

Hope these help for a start. Enjoy the build as Javelin is a very cool aircraft:)

Best Regards,

Antti

Antii thats pukka gen! Just the job. I read somewhere that the 7 didnt get firestreaks till later.Just found a good pic of a 64 sqn Mk7 at Duxford and can see what you mean about the wing leading edge and missing bullet fairings. Many thanks :)

• Like 1

Whirlybits produce two replacement rear fuselages, one for the FAW1/4/5 and one for the FAW7. See www.whirlybirdmodels.com, also available from Aviation Megastore. I have no affiliation to either company, just trying to help.

Richard in NZ

• Like 2

The Frog this kit is based on was released around 1974 or 5, which explains a certain chunkiness of the Frog (see also the Vixen ), though apparently not in the fin area. I admit liking the Frog 9 as well as their earlier, entirely different 1.

• Like 1

The ZTS Plastyk is not the old Frog/Novo mould. The rear part of the canopy is not fixed to the fuselage on the Frog for a start and the rear end is also different. ZTS detail is engraved.

It is however........greatly inspired by the Frog, as if it's been pantographed to make a new mould.

Look out for sink marks by the air brakes and the wing join lines in the wheel bays!

Trevor

• Like 1

I don't think it deserves the reputation as being 'unbuildable,' a little work and patience and a good result is possible, here's mine, it's an FAW9 which means I had to saw off the FAW7 rear fuselage!

DSC_0634.jpg

Edited by Kes
  • Like 4