Airfix Hunting Provost

A new plane to me, I had to have one for the collection.  Good quality and fit.  All was well until the decals came into play.  Lots of trouble with the day-glo 'cals.

Built OOB and painted in MM enamels.  All markings are from the kit.

IMG_1993_zpsdwz344ci.jpg

IMG_1992_zpswipoihqs.jpg

IMG_1991_zpsyidvigmv.jpg

IMG_1990_zpsnasdotzl.jpg

• Like 25

Goggsy...the day=glo decals cracked apart when I tried to wrap them around the l/e.  No amount of setting/softening solution that I had made any difference.  They were stiff as tree bark.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Les Moore said:

Goggsy...the day=glo decals cracked apart when I tried to wrap them around the l/e.  No amount of setting/softening solution that I had made any difference.  They were stiff as tree bark.

Interesting you say that, I had a similar experience with their decals on the Shackleton. Very poor quality and difficult to work with, even in comparison to old Academy decals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Les Moore said:

Good work on the JP, Les, in the face of stiff decals.

If you encounter this again try warming the decal with a hair-drier after they have been positioned and softening sol added. You should see the decal change as it warms and softens. Add more sol as the previous will probably have dried out and tease them into place. More hair-drier/sol combo and the job should be a good 'un.

ATB
Rick

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jefropas said:

NIce, I just purchased this kit yesterday, good to know about the decals...was thinking of converting it into a Strikemaster

So why not buy a Strikemaster?

Hello Les,

That Jet provost is very popular at this moment in the model world. Your build is fantastic.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1