A couple of 1/144 Builds - Aeroclub DH.89A Rapide and Welsh Models DH 91 Albatross

I have recently completed these two 1/144 kits for the de Havilland Mega Build Group Build. The DH89 is from Aeroclub's Automobile Association kit and my biggest concern was masking up for the AA paint scheme. It has been rigged with Albion Alloys 0.1 mm Nickel Silver wire (only single wires for my first attempt at rigging in this scale), whilst the aerial wire uses Uschi van der Rosten's 1/144 rigging thread. The DF loop is scratched from plastic rod and sheet and the other aerials are made using nickel silver wire.

DH 89A Rapide build

DSC01837_zps2bnv53qf.jpg

DSC01840_zpsimh4stvs.jpg

DSC01839_zpsfwohrly8.jpg

DSC01851_zpsejalti0u.jpg

DSC01832_zpsxwf9dv4d.jpg

The DH 91 Albatross is the Welsh Models resin kit of this very elegant looking aircraft. I modified the main undercarriage legs and doors for a better representation of the actual thing and all the additional aerials are made from brass tube, wire, and plastic strip 

DH 91 Albatross build

DSC01896_zpsdikr7lzr.jpg

DSC01941_zps7hfotbny.jpg

DSC01940_zpsdgco11wz.jpg

DSC01938_zpstazfnejf.jpg

DSC01937_zpsystvqems.jpg

DSC01939_zpsx53zsw0z.jpg

DSC01906_zpsckqvmhjh.jpg

DSC01907_zpstozrbfaa.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Congratulations on two absolute gems, particularly the Rapide.  Rigging a 1/144 biplane is a challenge to say the least!  Beautiful work.  :clap2:

Dave G

Cheers Dave. It was definitely a lot of fun trimming wires to length, and then trying to fix them in place without them pinging off out of the tweezers. :)

Two of the most elegant de Havilland designs ever in my humble opinion, absolutely beautiful.

The Rapide is particularly fetching in its AA livery.

They are both stunning models. Thanks for sharing them.

• Like 1

Hi John,

although I followed your builds, seeing both planes in the same thread, reinforces what a lovely job you've done.

Disappointment creeps in though, when one realizes that you have missed the front two teeth in the mouth of the screaming and kicking brat that sure doesn't want to go into a plane held by strings!

Bar for this glaring mistake, the rest is pure gem quality.

JR

• Like 1

Doubly delightful!!

That Rapids has a very elegant trim, but the Albatross really is magnificent.  One of my all time favourite four-engine machines, up there with the Republic XF-12 Rainbow (or at least the civil version which might-have-been).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Disappointment creeps in though, when one realizes that you have missed the front two teeth in the mouth of the screaming and kicking brat that sure doesn't want to go into a plane held by strings!

:rofl:

Hi Jean,

That is because you have the standard Mk1 eyeball and what you need is the new MK.6 bionic fit, you would then be able to see the teeth. :winkgrin:

2 hours ago, greggles.w said:

One of my all time favourite four-engine machines, up there with the Republic XF-12 Rainbow (or at least the civil version which might-have-been).

I must admit to having to look that one up bud, it's not a type I am familiar with, but it looks a bit of a big beastie.

5 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I must admit to having to look that one up bud, it's not a type I am familiar with, but it looks a bit of a big beastie.

Its quite a machine, worth reading up on the thoughtful streamlining design of the engine nacelles alone - both the airflow around and though.  Come to think of it that's something it shares with Albatross.

• Like 1

I seem to have missed these two, the Rapide is so dinky! What size is the Albatross? Certainly where Lockheed got their inspiration for the Constellation!

What did you used for the rigging?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi John. They both turned out beautifully! Very well done! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the nice comment Stix, I am glad that you like them. Have a good weekend buddy.

10 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I seem to have missed these two, the Rapide is so dinky! What size is the Albatross? Certainly where Lockheed got their inspiration for the Constellation!

What did you used for the rigging?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

The Rapide is by Aeroclub (fellow Britmodeller JohnAero) it's worth picking up if you see one and the Albatross is the 1/144 Welsh Models kit.

I did all the main rigging on the Rapide with Albion Alloys 0.1mm Nickel Silver wire, and the two whip aerials are also made from this. The radio masts on both models were rigged with Uschi van der Rosten 1/144 rigging thread. 

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hi John,

Thanks, I might have to get some of that rigging thread for my aerials.

I was wondering how big the Albatross is. The Rapide is tiny as you showed next to the penny but it's difficult to see how big the Albatross is. Nice work on the Albatross undercarriage by the way!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, Turbofan said:

I was wondering how big the Albatross is.

Sorry Ian, I thought that you were asking about the scale. I have this photo of the Albatross early on in construction which includes a 6" rule. I hope that gives you a better idea of the size.

DSC01712_zpsdvfbjjy3.jpg

And these two shots should give some idea of the size of the detail parts that I made/improved.

DSC01738_zpsn4bqvpwv.jpg

DSC01811_zpsudynpnyx.jpg