Malaysian Hawk 208

Hi all,

This is my second kit of the year, an almost OOB Hobbyboss 1/48 Hawk 200 finished as a Royal Malaysian Air Force Mk 208 of No. 6 Squadron. I replaced the tip of the refueling probe with a spare tip from a Hasegawa A-4 and took the Mk.82s from a Hobbycraft A-4. 

The mission tally is a home-brewed decal which marks the sorties this aircraft flew against insurgents in North Borneo a few years ago. I wish I had better weathering skills as this is one of the most heavily weathered RMAF jets around and I don't think I've done quite enough weathering on the model. Gunze paints were used throughout.

33275168363_caccf8a48f_k.jpgDSCN5472 by Aidy Abdullah, on Flickr

33275174333_3b412a6103_k.jpgDSCN5471 by Aidy Abdullah, on Flickr

33275132363_1ba536c379_k.jpgDSCN5462 by Aidy Abdullah, on Flickr

33702331870_ad66d77bd7_k.jpgDSCN5460 by Aidy Abdullah, on Flickr

33275146023_dc291a562d_k.jpgDSCN5467 by Aidy Abdullah, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

• Like 36

Very nice Aidy,.....I do wish that the RAF used these too! You`ve done a fantastic job and I love the scheme,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice Aidy,.....I do wish that the RAF used these too.

Tony

But what for exactly?

Cheapish slow low end  short legged point interdiction interceptor?

I guess the RAF has enough high end maschines for possible Hawk jobs....

Malaysia on the other hand ....

53 minutes ago, exdraken said:

But what for exactly?

Because I like the look of them and they would look good in RAF squadron markings,...then I would build a model of one,.....nothing too heavy mate don`t worry!! If we still had RAuxAF units they could be equipped with them for low budget training and second line point defence roles,...... or even be used alongside the T.2`s  for the single seat missions where radar training could be implemented,.....although I do know that in flight simulation and ground based simulators do cater for this and Reservist aircrew do fly with front line units.

Tony

• Like 4

That looks really good. At risk of sounding like a cracked record, I do wish they'd scale it down to 1/72, would love to be able to loose retire my Matchbox kit. I'd quite like some Omani marking for it too. Please. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

But what for exactly?

From what I gather, the RMAF weren't too enthusiastic about them either but had the Hawks forced upon them after pulling out of a deal to buy Tornadoes.

3 hours ago, aidy said:

Thanks Antoine. The kit measures out to about 1/44 scale, but shape is mostly good when compared to the plans available online.

44? That is rather large!!

Fou you hsppen to have a other the HB hawk kit to compare it to?

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

44? That is rather large!!

Fou you hsppen to have a other the HB hawk kit to compare it to?

Yes, I compared it to the Aifix kit with the NeOmega conversion set and it does look bigger. Also did compare both Hobbyboss and Airfix Mk.100 as well.

The Hobbyboss Hawk looks nice on it's own, but I must say that it does look a bit out of scale sitting next to my AFV Club RF-5E in the display case.

• Like 1

E

4 minutes ago, aidy said:

Yes, I compared it to the Aifix kit with the NeOmega conversion set and it does look bigger. Also did compare both Hobbyboss and Airfix Mk.100 as well.

The Hobbyboss Hawk looks nice on it's own, but I must say that it does look a bit out of scale sitting next to my AFV Club RF-5E in the display case.

Thanks!  I might stick to the Italeri anf Airfix offering then.... does not look too likely for them producing a 200 series though... :(

Lovely job on that ,really nice finish. I  think asthetics must have been at the bottom of the list when in the design stage! Sir Sydney must have rolled in his grave when they rolled that out. I  digress, I would build one just because its a Hawk.