Eagle Squadron Spitfire, Americas first WW2 ace

Finished at last, though looking through the final photos I need to do some touch up around the cockpit and do something about the too shiny wheel wells.

The build was ably assisted by the tweak list from the late and much missed Edgar Brooks and a lot of Barracuda resin parts.

All marking are painted apart from the stencils and ES badge (thank you Sean)

The subject aircraft was a Spitfire Mk.IIa flown by Pilot Officer Bill Dunn who became the first American ace of WW2 while flying Hurricanes and Spitfires with No. 71 Eagle Squadron, before transferring to the US AAF, he later went on to serve in Vietnam.

After market parts used came mainly from Barracuda namely:

Cockpit detail set

Wing detail set

Seat and armour

Main wheels

YAHU IP

Top Notch Camouflage masks

Top Notch markings masks

Paints used, Xtracolor, Humbrol and Sovereign Colourcoats for the markings

RB Productions seat belts, these are superb.

Mistakes, all mine.

The biggest let down for me was the prop and spinner, there is only one aftermarket prop and spinner available and that is far to expensive and when I last checked there was none available in the UK but I am still pleased with how the kit turned out.

The worst problem was encountered when I was finishing off, the kit undercarriage is built up in two parts and one leg came apart as I was fitting it, and the holes that they fit in on the wing are greatly oversized, I had to pack them out with scrap plastic and flood the hole with CA to get a good fit.

And here are the finished photos, not the greatest but the best I could manage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here are all three of my US operated Spitfires

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos
  • Like 28

I`ve been following this one with interest Dennis and the finished model is superb, as are your others,..... well done sir,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks you for the kind words I should have put it in the title the kit is the 2014 Revell 1/32 scale Spitfire IIa.

Cheers

Dennis

2 hours ago, Watcher said:

A thing of beauty!

Thank you very much it is appreciated

11 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Can't have enough Spitfires, and yours is superbly made, and interesting history.

have same kit in the stash, need seat belt's, 😇

I could not agree more, in fact the postman has just put the 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk.IX kit into my hands, I can certainly recommend the RB productions seat belts, they are fiddley but look great.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

16 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nicely done :goodjob:

Thank you very much for that.

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very good looking Spitfire indeed!

The story of William Dunn is quite interesting, I found when asking my friend Mr. Google to provide some information:

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/william-r-dunn-eagle-squadron-pilot/

Recommended reading.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim and yes he certainly had a long and varied career.

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a superb build and finish Dennis,great scheme I have the re-vamped Mkix on order can't wait for another crack at this kit.

Hi Steve, I'm glad that you enjoyed the build, as usual it was a mix of pleasure and frustration but in the end it was worth it, and the Mk.IX opens the door to lots of different finishes.

9 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

That's just showing off. Absolutely spectacular build. I really enjoyed your WIP.

Thank you Jaffajake for following the build, it's been very rewarding doing new things and the end result was well worth it.

Cheers

Dennis