Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will Vale

Shadow War Armageddon

36 posts in this topic

Thanks! It's lost a little depth under the varnish so I might need to add something painty over the top?

Been doing the metallic bits this evening, not too far to go now.

Will

Think this is just about done? The light's not great here so I'll take more pictures tomorrow, and see if there's anything I missed in the process.

33866727844_72095848fe_b.jpg

Oh yeah - I was going to add a poster or two but forgot, so will do those tonight.

I painted in all the plaques, did the skull eyes as tiny gems, and added some more scratches where I'd made marks, highlighted the scratches on the yellow and worked on the metals. I stippled a mix of the metallics on my palette (gold + silver) and Agrax Earthshade over the domed parts of the tanks to distinguish them more from the other surfaces and supports. Over that went some more drybrushing and sponged/stippled Asurmen Blue wash, and then I ran Agrax Earthshade around the lower edges and blended it in with a cotton bud.

I've also added a bit of shiny goop (various AK things) to the two tubes and a couple of other leaks, and a general verdigris wash to the pipes. I mixed this from Agrax Earthshade and Nilahk Oxide and quite a lot of water, and went over it with Agrax where I thought it was too strong. Then I painted some streaks and spills over the top to enliven the tanks a bit.

Cheers,

Will

3 people like this

Wow that really looks great Will, those side panels on the rusted parts really pop out at you!

1 person likes this

Excellent stuff Will.

1 person likes this

Love those stains and dribbles with the Nihilakh Oxide. Must get some of that.

Andy

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Wow that really looks great Will, those side panels on the rusted parts really pop out at you!

3 hours ago, Carts said:

Excellent stuff Will.

Thanks guys!

10 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Love those stains and dribbles with the Nihilakh Oxide. Must get some of that.

It is a bit fashion-conscious - lots of mini painting uses it at the moment - but it's pretty useful. The teal is complementary to rust so you can have rather vibrant weathering.

The paint is a bit odd - it's very thin, goes on like it's going to dry away to nothing and then is rather vivid when it does dry. I think it must have a lot of matting agent despite the wash-like consistency. You can get the same effects with e.g. Hawk Turquoise but the technical paint is very convenient. I quite like using it heavily thinned to add patina.

Cheers,

Will

1 person likes this

I need to get some more of the technical paints. The only one I've got is the crackle one (Agrellan Earth), but I love that for doing dry cracked ground

Andy

Blood for the Blood God is really useful - slightly different colour to Tamiya Clear Red, but when you flick it or blow it onto a model it's sort of stringy and you get neat visceral effects.

I think I have the pus one as well (Nurgle's Rot) but haven't used it much - it's a lovely (horrible) bright yellow-green. I wasn't sure I liked the sound of Typhus Corrosion (which is like an oily wash with bits in) but I've seen some OK results with it.

Cheers,

Will

1 person likes this

I finished the tank, the final touch was a little propaganda poster, which is really a bit high off the ground and doesn't quite fit, but I think is a good addition anyway. It's printed typing paper sponged with GW washes and then detailed around the edges with Scorched Brown paint. I painted the backs similarly, crumpled them up into balls and then glued them in place with PVA.

33916366833_a10a8bcea4_b.jpg

Here are a couple of close-ups of the newer metal bits:

34725615275_07d073a85d_b.jpg

34725620385_7b31cbfac2_b.jpg

I made a few posters and added a couple to the dome since it was a bit flat-looking:

34685647646_46607cc661_b.jpg

Here's the scenery group shot so far, time to paint figures now as the Orks are all on paperclips and can't be used to play the game. Which is winding my daughter up as she's glued all her figures and they're ready to go.

34685643036_6e0ea50c0a_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

Cheers,

Will

5 people like this

Fantastic job as always, Will. How did you make/print the posters? They look tiny, but even on max zoom the lettering's still crisp as you like.

1 person likes this

Thanks! They're printed on my crusty old laser printer - it's a Canon LBP5000 - and then weathered. It claims to print at 600 dpi but I haven't actually confirmed that I'm using the right settings to get this.

It's good enough for Warhammer though! I printed some catfood tins for a robot model a few years ago and they were more visibly dotty:

9412692077_cf4fa59689_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

3 people like this