Kill Team/Space Wolves

Thanks! It's lost a little depth under the varnish so I might need to add something painty over the top?

Been doing the metallic bits this evening, not too far to go now.

Will

Think this is just about done? The light's not great here so I'll take more pictures tomorrow, and see if there's anything I missed in the process.

33866727844_72095848fe_b.jpg

Oh yeah - I was going to add a poster or two but forgot, so will do those tonight.

I painted in all the plaques, did the skull eyes as tiny gems, and added some more scratches where I'd made marks, highlighted the scratches on the yellow and worked on the metals. I stippled a mix of the metallics on my palette (gold + silver) and Agrax Earthshade over the domed parts of the tanks to distinguish them more from the other surfaces and supports. Over that went some more drybrushing and sponged/stippled Asurmen Blue wash, and then I ran Agrax Earthshade around the lower edges and blended it in with a cotton bud.

I've also added a bit of shiny goop (various AK things) to the two tubes and a couple of other leaks, and a general verdigris wash to the pipes. I mixed this from Agrax Earthshade and Nilahk Oxide and quite a lot of water, and went over it with Agrax where I thought it was too strong. Then I painted some streaks and spills over the top to enliven the tanks a bit.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Wow that really looks great Will, those side panels on the rusted parts really pop out at you!

3 hours ago, Carts said:

Excellent stuff Will.

Thanks guys!

10 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Love those stains and dribbles with the Nihilakh Oxide. Must get some of that.

It is a bit fashion-conscious - lots of mini painting uses it at the moment - but it's pretty useful. The teal is complementary to rust so you can have rather vibrant weathering.

The paint is a bit odd - it's very thin, goes on like it's going to dry away to nothing and then is rather vivid when it does dry. I think it must have a lot of matting agent despite the wash-like consistency. You can get the same effects with e.g. Hawk Turquoise but the technical paint is very convenient. I quite like using it heavily thinned to add patina.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Blood for the Blood God is really useful - slightly different colour to Tamiya Clear Red, but when you flick it or blow it onto a model it's sort of stringy and you get neat visceral effects.

I think I have the pus one as well (Nurgle's Rot) but haven't used it much - it's a lovely (horrible) bright yellow-green. I wasn't sure I liked the sound of Typhus Corrosion (which is like an oily wash with bits in) but I've seen some OK results with it.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I finished the tank, the final touch was a little propaganda poster, which is really a bit high off the ground and doesn't quite fit, but I think is a good addition anyway. It's printed typing paper sponged with GW washes and then detailed around the edges with Scorched Brown paint. I painted the backs similarly, crumpled them up into balls and then glued them in place with PVA.

33916366833_a10a8bcea4_b.jpg

Here are a couple of close-ups of the newer metal bits:

34725615275_07d073a85d_b.jpg

34725620385_7b31cbfac2_b.jpg

I made a few posters and added a couple to the dome since it was a bit flat-looking:

34685647646_46607cc661_b.jpg

Here's the scenery group shot so far, time to paint figures now as the Orks are all on paperclips and can't be used to play the game. Which is winding my daughter up as she's glued all her figures and they're ready to go.

34685643036_6e0ea50c0a_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Fantastic job as always, Will. How did you make/print the posters? They look tiny, but even on max zoom the lettering's still crisp as you like.

• Like 1

Thanks! They're printed on my crusty old laser printer - it's a Canon LBP5000 - and then weathered. It claims to print at 600 dpi but I haven't actually confirmed that I'm using the right settings to get this.

It's good enough for Warhammer though! I printed some catfood tins for a robot model a few years ago and they were more visibly dotty:

9412692077_cf4fa59689_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well it's a year or so later and I haven't painted more terrain, but I did pick up Kill Team (latest 40K skirmish game, with rather cleaner rules which tie in to the new 40K edition much better) and my daughter and I have been playing that a bit.

I also bought and built a box containing some Space Wolf Primaris marines (the big ones) and couple of sprues of Sector Mechanicus scenery. The wolves have had parts added from the old-school Space Wolf pack kit (which is full of lovely details) as you can see:

43920929752_dcbb03b567_b.jpg

As they're moulded in coloured plastic it's easy to see the added (dark grey) bits - I removed the various wolf decorations from the old bolters with an etched saw and grafted them onto the modern guns - bolt carbines and heavy bolt pistols. The old guns should still be perfectly usable and they have other harder-to-steal wolf details so nothing lost, I hope. There are also some *excellent* heads in the old set, which look like they predate digital sculpting. I was particularly pleased to discover Conan, who's definitely going to be the one in charge of this little lot.

The new models have a lot to like as well - there are some cool "action" poses available, like the guy drawing the knife, and the other in the "CQC" pose with pistol and blade. I also *really* like the grappling guns. The default grappling gun arm is the right hand, and it only really fits pointing forward, but I was able to swap it onto a left-arm-with-blade using the pommel as the butt. That meant I could have a proper Batman grapple pose :)

The most difficult bit to transplant was the fur cape - this was moulded as a rear torso half so I had to cut all of that away, cut out the backpack fitting and thin it down as much as I dared to fit it over the Primaris torso.

29031290037_35fe9d4f6a_b.jpg

Incidentally, I built these figures using Tamiya's new quick-setting Extra Thin, with the yellow-green cap. It's really good, you can glue e.g. the halves of a torso together and by the time you've cleaned up the legs the joints are about ready to scrape and sand level. I guess I'll need to wait until they're primed until I can be 100% sure though, there might well be some minimal seams remaining...

The scenery sprues sat around for a few days since I remembered them being a bit labour-intensive, but when I got around to it it wasn't too bad. Again using the new glue, I spent an hour one evening cutting out pieces and taping them up to see how it went, and about three hours last night building this:

30152430558_671575b8f7_b.jpg

Rather than make lots of small pieces, I wanted to try and use all the parts in one big thing :) I failed in this, there are two pieces left over - a hatch that really didn't fit anywhere, and a pipe connector I didn't spot until it was too late. I still need to properly clean up the seams (although I've done a bit) and to facilitate this the side-stack is just clipped in place.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put this on a small base - in my mind's eye it would look good with some dangling wires etc. and a slightly wider footprint would be good for that. I could also get the hatch in there :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

I scraped and sanded the seams a bit, then cleaned up with a scouring pad and washed the whole tower in soapy water.

After a bit of air drying (and some hair-drying!) I was able to apply a couple of thin coats of Tamiya Red Oxide primer. Rather better than the Duplicolour I used on the earlier scenery, which is perfectly fine but *still* smells faintly like it's outgassing after a year...

30156658498_2f5c5c95b4_b.jpg

Unsurprisingly, there's still some work to do on the seams, but less than I expected.

43119075805_ba117f81d2_b.jpg

44025280111_3993bd4499_b.jpg

It helps that I oriented all the different parts and tubes such that their seams (generally) aren't aligned, so you can't see a single seam running up the entire tower - with that they tend to get lost among the details. I'll have to do something about the thin side-stack though, especially near the top.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Will Vale said:

harder-to-steal wolf details

You could always use some Siligum moulding paste (two part silicone moulding material) or Oyumaru to make moulds of various detail pieces. Multiple layers of liquid latex also works at a pinch.

Then just squidge some green stuff or epoxy resin in your homemade mould.:D

r9dh7Gm.jpg?1

Mart

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • I'm scared of starting another WIP thread (in case I so I'm going to hide this in here. I've built a few more Space Wolves - three Aggressors (fire-spitting chaps in heavy armour) which I haven't photographed, and have made some progress on a Redemptor dreadnought. I was inspired by Lotus Arenco's and surprised that I've never actually built a GW dread of any kind. (Well, I have an old metal Ork dredd but I think it's only blu-tacked together and still unpainted...)

The new one is a kit from last year's 40K relaunch and I had some issues at the time with how it looked. This is the official version:

99120101191_RedemptorDreadnought01.jpg

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Redemptor-Dreadnought

I like the chunkiness and poseability of the new kit, but I wasn't sure about the protruding belly. So I've made a few tweaks:

44600661202_115ddd87b5_b.jpg

Essentially I've removed the lower hatch and re-purposed it as a cowling/helmet which I think raises the profile up a little and flattens the stomach. If only it was so easy in real life :) I also added some Space-Wolfy details salvaged from other kits and one of the upgrade sprues.

Paint is a mix of Tamiya (mainly for the metals) and Citadel for the rest. I used the new Tamiya LP gunmetal as a base, and Citadel's Fenris Grey air paint, which is a bit scary to use (it beads up and you need quite a thick layer to cover, but it does settle down and dry smoothly) as I wanted the colour match. I shaded and highlighted the armour panels with the airbrush using quite a lot of Tamiya Clear Blue from below, and a mixture of pale Buff, X-22 and a fair bit of thinners from above.

43704897875_7ceca32bbe_b.jpg

Decals are from the Space Wolf sheet, I picked the clawed paw and laid a rune over the top. They went down completely perfectly with no silvering at all, which is a first for me :) I painted the claws of the paw red to match the fist, so he might be called Bloody-handed Olaf?

I shaded all the panel lines and rivets with the excellent dark blue Citadel wash (Drakenhof Nightshade) and did a little touching up with Fenris Grey. The chipping is all Mechanicus Standard Grey and I won't be going to bare metal as the armour is supposed to be "Ceramite", although I guess it could have a steely glint from e.g. graphite powder.

44595588482_0259ba5258_b.jpg

I'm currently working on various details and have got all the leg armour stuck on - it was loose in the photos - so getting fairly close to completion.

Oh yes, and the base might deserve mention - my daughter has beaten my Space Wolves twice with her Tau now (in Kill Team) but was gracious enough to donate some left-over parts from a set of Crisis Suits. I found a pelvis and a couple of weapons in a bag of bitz I picked up from our local GW's Christmas offering box, and that gave me enough to make half a battle-suit. It'll be lying in mud/water (so half a suit is enough) and the plate over the top is one of the larger Sector Mechanicus bases with the edges trimmed away, supported on some suitable bits of sprue.

29626757847_9be8cd2949_b.jpg

This may count as basing for advantage :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Did a bit more last night - painting the lights above the skid plate and the "bum bag" or "shiny metal bottom" (it won't let me say it how Bender says it) which fits on the rear of the pelvis:

43945008884_9ca417d8f6_b.jpg

I reset the right foot (left in the picture) so the toe was pointing more outward, which changes the pose from walking/running to turning/reacting, I think? I've added pins to lock this in place and drilled the base to accept them, so I shouldn't need to mess with this again. There's a small area of glue/paint damage where a bit more of the ankle ball has been revealed, but I'll grease it up later to hide it.

44614582262_3a4a52ec85_b.jpg

The glowing radiator seemed like a way to add a bit of colour. It's a thin coat of Khorne Red over black, worked up with the usual palette of reds and oranges. I used the Bloodletter and Lamenters' Yellow glazes to blend at the end, with some medium as well to help diffuse the colours further. The rest of the box is painted with Mechanicus Standard Grey and dry-brushed with Administratum Grey. I also added some washes of Nuln Oil around the glowing area to increase the contrast.

I added highlights to the hand at the same time but haven't taken a picture yet - it still needs the mini-gatling finishing off.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

Thanks Andy! I think some of those scratches are a bit fat - the ones on the shoulders that I did in daylight came out better - but they do show where & how the suit would move.

I'm wondering if I need to add something on the big panels either side of the sarcophagus, but I'm not sure what yet. Bullet impacts would be easy enough, but maybe when there are some streaks and things they won't be needed?

W

Here's the claw arm :)

43952197744_d1b6a18ef2_b.jpg

I used decanted Tamiya Chrome Oxide yellow for the shoulderpad, with a faint highlight mixed from that and Alclad white primer. Then drybrushed with Dorn Yellow and shaded with Agrax to keep it all nice and warm.

The fingers of the claw are Khorne Red with a couple of coats of Mephiston Red to brighten it up, then various reds and oranges to highlight. I glazed with Bloodletter at the end and it looks to have left some blobs of matting agent or similar, as usual. I'll have to sand these off and touch up.

The little gatling only has a basecoat at the moment. In tbeory it can still be swapped for the flamer, but it's probably better to glue it in place as the connection isn't that solid.

I quite like this arm as it shows all the major colours of the dreadnought in one place :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I did a bit more last night, painting random details. I base-coated the grey areas on the hull as well as the Cog Mechanicum. Which Isn't very neat yet but will get cleaned up around the edges when I get to it next.

43779809355_f1bb0b7870_b.jpg

More excitingly, I added some colour to the pipes around the sarcophagus, including a proper stripey one :)

43779811215_5b1c82f0db_b.jpg

It looks like there's a bit of silver to touch up on one of the grey pipes, as well as the lid and dangly thing to finish. I also need to paint the lights and doodads at the top - the big round one on the left is probably going to have an ECG trace on it :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, Will Vale said:

I won't be going to bare metal as the armour is supposed to be "Ceramite"

IIRC back in the day, ‘Ceramite’ was jokingly described by GW employees as being the exact same colour as unpainted GW plastic.:lol:

Lovely Dread Will, but I’m still blaming you fairly and squarely for the mass of GW kits now cluttering up my workroom!

Mart

• Like 2

Hehe, I'd heard that story as well :)

Not much progress yesterday but I did do some more work on the sarcophagus lid:

43984882464_f330ea0897_b.jpg

We were supposed to be off orienteering again today but I've done something unpleasant to my knee ligament (I fell on Friday, it was fine, then after walking around for a bit yesterday I started limping badly...) so some more modelling time has been acquired.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Another three hours or so and the lid has its inscription, plus I painted all the gubbinz at the top. I'm looking forward to not having to touch this particular part again :)

43797933685_c090990610_b.jpg

Still, miniature painting eh? What other hobby could give you this much working time out of a single plastic part?? (Actually that's a big lie, there are three parts in the sarcophagus plus the necklace I added.)

Will

• Like 2

I love the glow effect from the two lights you have added  - it’s just a little background detail that you don’t consciously notice ( well not normally anyway) but it makes it come alive.

Beautiful work there Will. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I feel a bit like I figured out to use a new sledgehammer and everything now looks nut-like, but I'm glad it's coming across as subtle :)

I did a bit more on the back, almost ready to glue this to the legs now.

44753648381_f028018933_b.jpg

I shaded the Cog Mechanicus with Seraphim Sepia and Agrax and highlighted the white bits with white, and the red with my usual red gradient. It might need a touch of extra blending.

I also painted up the grey boxes and upper radiator panels. This time using edge highlights rather than drybrushing as I did at the bottom, but they hang together decently well which is good news for both techniques. I also shaded the area around the reactor with Agrax Earthshade, and the shoulder bosses with Agrax Gloss.

I still need to figure out how to paint and weather the exhaust stacks, at the moment they're still in the base metallic colour. I think the junctions at the bottom I'm going to paint silver, and rust needs to be involved on the middle bit, but not too much, and it should look hot.

Not photographed: Grey base coats on all the sub-weapons (storm bolters, top missile launcher).

Not really started: Painting the main weapons and the base :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3