1/72 Airfix Turkish Spitfire Mk 1.

Not a bad model from Airfix, I picked this up from one of the sales at Aldi here in Australia. I still think Airfix have some work to do with the depth of their panel lines, but I admit I've been buying quite a few of these new Airfix kits. Decals came from Blackbird Models in the UK.

2PvIfjv.jpg

S2aA2Ps.jpg

d5SBYRt.jpg

CjY7Cyr.jpg

g6k7Mrm.jpg

• Like 29

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Very nice build, but what I can't understand is that you query  the depth of the panel lines and then accentuate them?

With or without a wash, they stand out. The wash actually hides a little, just how deep they are while giving the model  surface some life. I really like how fine Hasegawa's panel lines are in 1/72, I'm not sure why Airfix couldn't achieve this as they look wonderful under a light wash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Agreed totally. This puts me off modern Airfix.

Martin

It doesn't put me off their kits, for the price they are excellent, but there is room for some improvement. Unfortunately Hasegawa seemed to go the way of deep panel lines, especially on their new mold 1/72 Heinkel 111. Hasegawa of the early 90's had some wonderful surface detail, they need to go back to that.

Agreed, Hasegawa, Fujimi, and many others. Even the older eastern bloc kits are reasonably fine lined!

I'll say it again. Your build is very nice. There are many nice schemes that are possible for Turkish Spits. It beats the sea of RAF machines! Tigerhead Decals do some nice ones.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

A fine looking Spitfire, that and nice to see a different scheme.

To be fair to Airfix, their panel line detail has improved considerably since this kit and the other earlier ones from their revival.

FWIW, my method on these is to fill with Tippex and then when nearly dry, rub off the excess with white spirit-moistened kitchen roll. Pick out the ailerons, elevators and rudder with darker paint but ignore everything else.

John.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Nice job,...it looks really different in Turkish markings,What colour are the undersides?

Cheers

Tony

Black under surfaces, I'm not sure why.

• Like 1

Just now, Brad said:

Black under surfaces, I'm not sure why.

Cheers Brad,.....I wonder if it should be Black and White halves? Whatever,....great job.

Tony

• Like 1