Petlyakov Pe2 Airfix 1/72

Avereda

After holidaying in Orkney it's time to press on. The interior scratch-building went a bit avant-garde and I was just about to bin the whole thing. Slept on it and decided to carry on, some judicious painting might cover up the worst of the interior and the thick Airfix glazing might complete the job. I've primed in darkest black to get the job moving along again. Apologies in advance to those who like neat, detailed and accurate work.

36576671371_fa685b5227_b.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Glad to hear that you haven't binned your build :thumbsup:

I am sure the cockpit will look fine with a bit of detail painting.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks, I think I'm winning over the bank holiday so there might be something resembling a Pe-2 come next Saturday.

State of play as of this afternoon shown below, way too hot here in Salisbury for modelling. I think that this won't quite make the gallery but I'm going to complete the build - I don't want to end up with half a dozen unfinished models come December. This may mean I have to bail out of the Radial Engine and Floatplane GBs which will be a shame - we'll see.

36035251184_88057cc39f_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Nice progress. Lets hope that the one week extension Enzo gave us helps to get your build over the line!

Cheers, Peter

Thanks, a bit of a panic this evening when I thought I'd lost a couple of the transparent parts but I think it should limp over the line now.

The progress report may have been over optimistic, I'm going to be away for part of this week due to work commitments so I can't see this making the revised end date now. The upper machine gun has gone AWOL, been found and gone AWOL again - not sure I'll be able to scratch a replacement.

Anyhow, after a weekend mainly spent looking for things on the floor, wings and glazing are attached.

36194605023_bb7409d382_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 1:07 PM, Basilisk said:

Yep, work can throw spanners in the works :huh: But it helps with buying new kits ;).

The old girl is looking good and I hope that you continue the build after the GB.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, you're right of course - the work + old kit + GB time limit hasn't really worked out for me this year. I've only managed to squeeze one into a gallery so far. Not to worry, I'll aim for a better completion rate in next years GBs using the knowledge gained this year. Close of play photo below.

37004174811_8b189f238a_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
Added photo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Avereda said:

... this year. I've only managed to squeeze one into a gallery so far. ...

That is one more than I managed over the last two years. :huh: But the making can be as much fun as the finishing...

Please keep updating your thread with your ongoing progress.

Cheers, Peter

As promised I'm carrying on. This week I've been trying to blend the glazing in a bit. Not sure it's really worked out so far, probably still needs a tweak before priming.

37118444921_03daf2d419_b.jpg

37118444431_d39ff58921_b.jpg

• Like 1

Had a play around with some colour yesterday and a mix of Vallejo Model Colour Dark Blue and Grey Green gave me a decent underside colour. Some, unfinished, pre-shading up top completes the progress so far.

37239578526_93c054b0e6_b.jpg

37030291280_5768556728_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still grinding on, went for Vallejo's Gunship Green but it needs brightening and lightening. I'll play around with some greeny-yellow mixes and see what happens.

38489485576_f3570e460d_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Disturbingly I can’t seem to stop. Newer, brighter green has been added to the upper surfaces and been clear coated, the undercarriage is in place and the (awful) glazing has been added.

There’s more, much more, wrong than right, the canopy’s a mess, the upper machine gun has snapped off, the tailplane’s all wrong, the undercarriage has bits broken off, I don’t think I’ll be able to glaze the portholes etc. I’ll plod on until it can be shown to Mrs Ave as complete.

Don’t look too closely

38911558191_c1c222baa4_b.jpg