Petlyakov Pe2 Airfix 1/72

Avereda

The kit dates from 1982 according to Scalemates - not sure if the decals will hold up so I'm not entirely certain which version this will end up as. Box, sprue shots etc to follow.

As promised, first up the box...

34216645125_ca32376ff0_b.jpg

...the plastic...

33832464110_1cee8e856f_b.jpg

...the raised panel lines, hmmm...

33374540364_dfef0b070b_b.jpg

...and the paperwork, decals are a bit yellow - the conversion chart for Airfix colours made me smile though

34216645115_7379e46ee3_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
Pictures
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Avereda said:

The kit dates from 1982 according to Scalemates - not sure if the decals will hold up so I'm not entirely certain which version this will end up as. Box, sprue shots etc to follow.

Great to have a Petlyakov Pe-2 in the mix! The boxing you have is from 1982, but if you look at the timeline on Scalemates, you can see that the kit was released in 1968 and it does show its age unfortunately, but still a nice model can be made from it.

Cheers, Peter

Time to mention, if you don't know this already, that the Airfix kit was created in the time when everyone knew that Russian aircraft were green and brown in WW2.  They weren't.  For better information see http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/pe2/pe2.html  and associated pages on the Russian colours.

The Airfix kit is a bit uncertain as to the exact variant, other than "later" so best not to look too closely.  I think you should be looking at the green/dark grey/light brown over light blue scheme, rather than the earlier green/black.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Time to mention, if you don't know this already...

You can safely assume I don't know anything, I don't think it had actually occurred to me that the Russians had their own bombers until I started thinking about this GB

15 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great to have a Petlyakov Pe-2 in the mix! The boxing you have is from 1982, but if you look at the timeline on Scalemates, you can see that the kit was released in 1968 and it does show its age unfortunately, but still a nice model can be made from it.

Cheers, Peter

Only five years younger than myself, I suspect we'll both be showing our age come the end of the build

Edited by Avereda

Those 'spoilers' around the dive brakes puzzle me, I've never seen a picture of them but it does not automatically mean that the model must be wrong. Does anyone know more?

These raised fortifications are a figment of the Airfix designer's imagination.  Photos show the airbrakes lying flush to the lower surface of the wing.  On many aircraft they appear to be absent, with just two small bulges covering the position of the hinges.  I haven't seen a clear photo of these hinges where the airbrakes are fitted, but would expect some kind of small forward fairing.

Part of me is tempted to do it 'as is' and try and replicate the box photo - I could even photograph it on a map. On the other hand I could go full-fettle and remove the panel lines, probable extraneous features etc as mentioned above. I'm leaning towards the former as the latter may be beyond my meagre talent and the time-limit of the GB.

On 24/4/2017 at 7:25 PM, Avereda said:

I'm leaning towards the former as the latter may be beyond my meagre talent and the time-limit of the GB.

That would be my advice as well - apart maybe from the rescribing - because I have a feeling that this kit is not to be put in the same room with drawings or, worse, photos of the real thing...

• Like 1

On 19.4.2017 at 11:41 PM, Graham Boak said:

The kit is a lot older than 1982 - I've had mine since 1969.  It's almost finished, but the transfers were terrible in 1969, or it would have been finished sooner.

I remember I built it around 1968.

I then even cut them away and filed/sanded the raised boxes for the dive brakes flush as I felt that they were wrong.

I think I orientated myself on the box art if I remember it correctly.

Those were the times ...

26 minutes ago, occa said:

I remember I built it around 1968.

I then even cut them away and filed/sanded the raised boxes for the dive brakes flush as I felt that way they were wrong.

I think I orientated myself on the box art if I remember it correctly.

Those were the times ...

The copyright stamp says 1968 so you're probably bang on. I wish I had that clarity of recall, the only strong modelling memory I have going back that kind of distance was buying a modelling magazine ( I only ever bought one) that had a scratch built 'Flying Bedstead' project. I got as far as snapping a couple of lengths of sprue and then gave up. When ever anyone mentions scratch building this always comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2017 at 6:05 PM, Graham Boak said:

These raised fortifications are a figment of the Airfix designer's imagination.  Photos show the airbrakes lying flush to the lower surface of the wing.  On many aircraft they appear to be absent, with just two small bulges covering the position of the hinges.  I haven't seen a clear photo of these hinges where the airbrakes are fitted, but would expect some kind of small forward fairing.

I'm guessing that the fortifications are the bits highlighted in red in the photo below. I'm planning to remove these along with the raised panel lines and have a go at describing the main lines.

34127062900_1df99074b2_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to take a seat at the back if that's ok?

I built this around 15 years ago, when I first returned to the hobby after a gap of over 25 years.

I didn't really know much about things then. Just like when I was a young boy, I just trusted that the manufacturers had it right, and enjoyed the building.

I thoroughly enjoyed this kit. I liked the overall shape when finished; I hadn't built a two engines soviet prop plane before. It reminded me a little of a shark at the front.

Interestingly, as others have mentioned, unlike many old Airfix transfers (that last forever), the transfers let me down.

I ended up using spare transfers from old KP kits I was also building at the time.

Quite interesting; old Eastern European transfers saved an old Western European kit, of an Eastern European subject.

I felt there was something poetic about that ;).

As far as I remember it goes together really well, a vague memory of something fragile in the undercarriage area, but otherwise, great fun.

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Graham Boak said:

The kit is a lot older than 1982 - I've had mine since 1969.  It's almost finished, but the transfers were terrible in 1969, or it would have been finished sooner.

I read this as you've been building a model since 1969?

Nice to see a classic kit in the GB too!

I bought it in 1968, but didn't like the transfers so didn't start it then.  I don't know when I did start it: possibly when the italeri/Zvezda one appeared with decent transfers, but by then I had considerable doubt about the colours, and was aware that it wasn't a great match for any particular production variant.  Whenever that was, it was a false start and there was at least one more later attempt that fell foul of an inability to get a convincing match for some of the colours.   It finally got it done this year, after checking with AKAN acrylics and using a mix of Zvezda and Bergamat(?) transfers.  So never give up.  I do have a few other kits of similar vintage awaiting the right moment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

As far as I remember it goes together really well, a vague memory of something fragile in the undercarriage area, but otherwise, great fun.

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers, a dry fit of the fuselage and wings seems to indicate that all will be well. That being the case I'll invest a bit of time in rescribing the panel lines, it's not something I've tried before but you've got to start some where...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I bought it in 1968....It finally got it done this year...

Hopefully I'll crack the 49 year barrier but I'm not promising anything just yet.

• Like 1

@AdrianMF  did a rebuild of this old beast

here

I remember getting this circa 1975, and have a soft spot for it...the remains of my one is  my kitchen...  

On 20/4/2017 at 19:36, Avereda said:

You can safely assume I don't know anything, I don't think it had actually occurred to me that the Russians had their own bombers until I started thinking about this GB

Most Soviet bombers were tactical rather than strategic,  but they had lots.   If the old Airfix whet's your appetite, Zvevda do very good Pe-2 in 1/48th.  

My pet oddity is the Ermolaev (or Yermolaev) Er-2, lookig like a bizarre cross of he-111 and Corsair...

er2-7.jpger2-6.jpg

only the early ones have the asymmetric canopy.    

Amodel do  them in 1/72nd too 

this page http://airwar.ru/bomberww2.html has a list of WW2 Soviet bombers,  it's in Russian and many were experimental types in the list,  but maybe worth a browse with a translator.

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 2

Adrian's build is fascinating stuff, this will be very much an Adrian-lite version though. I'll definitely remove the dive brake fairings and I may add a bit of internal detail but I suspect that will be all. Thanks for the other information regarding kits and bombers.

Well all the overnight chit chat spurred me on to do a bit more. The fairings are off and all wing parts have had raised lines removed. First bash at rescribing below. Be gentle.

34581366110_4ae2e7ecd7_b.jpg

• Like 3

Great effort for your first go at scribing panel lines.

I found the Tamiya / Olaf scriber great for scribing control surfaces, but not so good for panel lines as the cutter has a rather large V-angle, resulting in wide groves. The trumpeter scriber is much better for panel lines as it has a much smaller V-angle, resulting in more scale looking panel lines.

An other option is to cut less deep with the scriber you have so the panel lines don't get so wide.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2017 at 5:46 AM, Basilisk said:

Great effort for your first go at scribing panel lines.

Many thanks, there's been a little progress since then. Inspired by Adrian's marvellous effort in the Great Patriotic War GB (link at the bottom of this post) I thought I'd dabble with a bit of copycat scratch building

35979489761_8319bc3348_b.jpg

I then got a bit carried away and tried to carve the radiator flaps. I think I'll revert to Plan A and copy Adrian's method.

35273229814_42a1a7527c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see further progress on your build. The radiator flaps look good, but maybe some more sanding is needed on your scribed panel lines. Scribing with a pointy tool does create burrs on both sides on the scribed line which sanding eliminates. I found the Trumpeter scriber a great tool for the task as it cuts into the plastic without creating the burrs.

I see that you used the Tamyia scriber which works like the Trumpeter scriber, but the angle of the cutter is much wider, resulting in a wide grove.

Cheers, Peter