Italeri Ferrari 275GTB, 1/24

Well, this marks a bit of a milestone: first completion in a more or less a year, since I started a new job which takes me away from home a lot. 

This really is a return from the shelf of doom. I originally painted the body yellow 3-4 years ago, only to find that the clear coat had dragged the red dye from the body plastiic through the yellow layer, and tinted itself orange in all kinds of places. Laster year, I got hold of some IPA, and as a last ditch effort decided to try and strip the yellow and clear. After six months or so of soaking, I could get it off. I repainted the body silver, which I thought would resist dye leaking better... which it did, but not perfectly. You can still see a reddish tint around the base of the tail here and there. It's not so obvious in real life, thank goodness.

I'm not sure whether there ever really was a racing set-up that does without the bumpers, but I think the car looks a bit more aggressive and better proportioned without them...

I didn't take many WIP photos, but here are a few:

chassis.jpg

engine.jpg

dashboard.jpg

inside-top-view.jpg

Those Molotow Liquid Chrome Markers are AMAZING...

front-left.jpg

rear-right.jpg

front-low.jpg

left-profile.jpg

front-left-bonnet-open.jpg

front-right-bonnet-open-2.jpg

If you've ever built one of the Italeri 250/275/365 series Ferraris you'll know exactly what to expect. Nice details, crisp mouldings, reasonably good fit. I wish the bonnet would close slightly better, but again it's not so visible in the cabinet!

It feels good to have completed something after all this time, that's for sure...

best,

M.

• Like 6