A Pint of Dark and Cloudy or something Stronger

As if by magic a couple of days after completing my P-51D the postman delivers a special package :)

Unopened still in its original cellophane wrapper complete with its original price tag £3.50 ( I wish !! ) 

I am bringing to the workbench  1970's / 80's chic -  the Airfix B-26 Marauder , and rather than grumble and curse at my wife - I will share my fun and frustrations with everyone :) 

mTCM3YK.jpg

The grand reveal for me will take place tonight - 30+ years in the box - how will the decals have faired - hence the thread name - will 'Mild and Bitter' have become dark and cloudy ?

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 8

The 'grand opening' took place last night ...and as expected the decals are more 'Snowball' than either 'Mild and Bitter' or 'Dark and Cloudy' :( ,  At the required time - photoshop (or equivalent)  to the rescue and I will remake them , only using small images atm - everyone knows what a decal set and kit on sprues look like.

8eSDZvA.jpg

Onto the kit itself, for a 1973 tooling that was made in early 80's is pretty good, my 1st impression that this kit is better than I remember Airfix models of that time (I never built a B-26 as a youngster ) 

AZSspFT.jpg

There is some flash and a couple of sink holes on the fuselage - nothing a little time and effort cannot sort. The big decision I have to make is 'Panel Lines' - this kit seems a transition kit with a mixture of finely raised panel lines and engraved hatch , access port details. Having never re-scribed a model .... is this the perfect opportunity to start ?

Finally what is it with the mid turret gunner - was he fan of giant donuts 

E2GpOYj.jpg

• Like 2

It is a little known secret all WWII gunners were recruited from Circumfe"mia, an obscure country referenced in Dante's "Inferno".  Seems individuals that talked in circles and never could be pinned down to what they actually meant were punished with their hands being turned into large round mitten-like objects. while their bodies shriveled into a near fetal position.  This seemed to be a curse until WWII broke out and it was discovered these individuals were perfect to serve as bomber gunners as twin machine guns could be connected by a single metal rod and turret positions could be designed to be more compact and smaller than a normal human being saving weight and space.   The reward for service was corrective hand and back surgery so they could re-enter the world with a normal appearance.  In the 60s and 70s model companies such as Airfix and Revell/Monogram discovered top secret documents detailing these poor unfortunate individuals conditions that were faithfully replicated in model form.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Finally what is it with the mid turret gunner - was he fan of giant donuts 

Mmmm, donuts! :Tasty:

A quick re-scribe and in my opinion you have one of the best Marauder kits out there.

Martian

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Mmmm, donuts! :Tasty:

A quick re-scribe and in my opinion you have one of the best Marauder kits out there.

Martian

Why is it that the words "quick" and "re-scribe" seem so other-worldly when used together? Must be because I am still new to this. :huh:

Looks like a fun ship to build. 

Terry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, georgeusa said:

It is a little known secret all WWII gunners were recruited from Circumfe"mia, an obscure country referenced in Dante's "Inferno".  Seems individuals that talked in circles and never could be pinned down to what they actually meant were punished with their hands being turned into large round mitten-like objects. while their bodies shriveled into a near fetal position.  This seemed to be a curse until WWII broke out and it was discovered these individuals were perfect to serve as bomber gunners as twin machine guns could be connected by a single metal rod and turret positions could be designed to be more compact and smaller than a normal human being saving weight and space.   The reward for service was corrective hand and back surgery so they could re-enter the world with a normal appearance.  In the 60s and 70s model companies such as Airfix and Revell/Monogram discovered top secret documents detailing these poor unfortunate individuals conditions that were faithfully replicated in model form.

Looks like super-enormous hemorrhoids was also a requirement! No wonder they wanted to shoot everything that moved!

Ian

• Like 2

Update 1: The build has commenced : Cockpit subassembly  

I have chosen not to add the crew members - Sorry Donut Boy !!!  Well its a bit sparse if you don't add 'Bill and Ted' - 5 pieces including the control sticks and these are  major pieces  - central console and Airfix's 'Generic 1970's seats - I am sure my mum had ones like that in her Vauxhall Viva. Time to get out the scalpel , tweezers and attempt to scratch build something a little more interesting.

BxB1U1o.jpg?1

After several attempts that created seats that looked even more like a toilet I have come up with the following , need to raid my sister-in-laws jewellery making stash for some small diameter brass wire then will add arm rests to the seats. Co-pilot seat is noticeable smaller since it was a folding seat  to allow access to bombardier position in plexiglass nose. I have also added  some side panels to the cockpit . Everything is dry fitted - the rear bulkhead is not leaning forward !!!

qysi0tc.jpg?1

6MKfEHn.jpg?1

yCETEtf.jpg?1

Next update will be bomb bay which does have some nice detail in it , then painting time :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

A really solid start - I hope the transparency is clear enough that you get to still the full benefit of these upgrades 

Having looked at the canopy / nose parts - they are thick.. I will be getting the Squadron Vac Formed ones - and probably some Resin parts too , gun barrels and engines ( I wonder if the P-47D aires / quickboost ones will fit ? Both aircraft shared the P&W 2800 Double Wasp Powerplant )  if I can

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure whether this is an Obi Wan Kenobi ( I don't think I let my mind go and used the force to guide me :lol: ) or a Blackadder 4th update : Trench Warfare (commonly known as re-scribing)  is much more 'entertaining' than I ever imagined !!  Big hands - the continual requirement to remove my glasses for real close up work (sign of getting older) makes the process all the more fun!!  Anyway here are the wings, I don't think they will look too bad after the full painting weathering process has been completed. 

cnl2azi.jpg

8D2aZT9.jpg

To keep me sane I have done some more subassembly construction and painting , cockpit , engines (after looking around I decided to stay with the kit ones ) and bomb bay with black wash to make everything look dirty.

pdPH0Ii.jpg

jUvgEi6.jpg

Plenty of scraping & removing plastic to get Engine mounts to fit the wing without a large step - time for filler / sanding and scribing (yay more scribing)

QeuvkRo.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

May be asking for a sponsoring from Guiness :drink:

My friend has done this one with the 1/48 Monogram.

Nice choice and good job in improving this old kit. I like that.

Keep carry on !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• 2 weeks later...

Update : The death of the Donut Gunner

I have never been one for having active crew inside my models (probably because my painting of crew was horrible so - it was time to say farewell to the dorsal turrret gunner 

g8ODz4O.jpg?1

and time to get out the plasticard (I forgot to take pictures with out paint :(  )

eDwWuTs.jpg

ItBbanL.jpg

And when sitting in the fuselage

F4lHfTa.jpg?1

Finally the cockpit, almost time to button up this little baby - I was surprised how much difference just adding tape seatbelts makes 

mJKD0a7.jpg?1

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 1