This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Crossiant Oliver

Best and Worst Model Kits You've Ever Made

tomprobert    3,526

Worst for me was Combat Models' 1/72nd scale C-17. I really enjoy a modelling challenge, but this kit was the worst I've ever taken on. Plastic so thin the whole thing had to be reinforced from nose to tail and from wing tip to wing tip. Fuselage halves different lengths. Wings in the wrong position. Nose totally out and needed reshaping. Engines more or less scratch built. But I won in the end!

Best is the Revell 1/32nd He111P. Great from the box, no fit issues and looks mightily impressive once done. 

Tom

TonyTiger66    5,629

I just found this thread.

I again support this vote for the 'not making us happy' corner:

The Roden He-111 A, B, C, E in 1/72.

Frustrating beyond all belief because (non exhaustive list):

They're interesting subjects.

To engineer them so that the parts actually went together, was clearly a possibility looking at the parts themselves, the standard of moulding.

Almost nothing fits together; this doesn't mean flash or normal preparation of a short run.  

Really; very little fits together. At all. Cumulatively. Worse and worse. Unless measures, many remedial measures, are taken.

If one tries, tries, and tries again, it can be done.

A little like finally getting a mouse to successfully eat a complete elephant, morsel by morsel, having no sleep for weeks, as you feed the mouse and wait for it to digest and then divest itself of each tiny piece. 

It's that much fun.

Its likely that if one has reached this point, much of the nice surface detail will have gone. Most people are too fed up to rescribe/rivet.

So they paint.

Then put the decals in water.

Then the decals shatter into a thousand pieces.

:hanging:

I've been very slowly building a 'B' for two years now. It's my third. I really do know the 'recipe' now.

Ha. Haha. Ahahahahaaa. :christmas:.

I'm becoming fond of the bizarre sequence of extensive filing and shimming and sawing and dry fitting.

These kits are clearly strangely addictive items of psychological warfare. I have a set of 'B' engine nacelles by my bedside as I type this. The wings in a lounge drawer.

They're like worry beads. A little filing here, a little trial fitting there.....

:boom:

Here's the sting: they're very detailed and look great when finished :frantic: !!!!!!  

Favourite mojo restoring kit?

1/72 Academy P-40M/N.

Fell together. Then Humbrol 'Clear' ruined it.

:cry: 

I also used to love the old Airfix Hurricane (80's boxing?). Covered in rivets. Looked lovely on the shelf; really nice to build. 

I've always enjoyed the old 1/72 Airfix Savoia Marchetti SM-79 too. Inaccuracies, yes, but a nice build that gave a passable model for its time.

A final dodgy kit? The 'Ruch' brand  1/72 PZL TS 'Iskra'.

I understand  some of the wider socio-political and economic reasons that  led to these being so dreadful.

Also I understand that they brought a lot of happiness to many Polish children and are looked upon with fond nostalgia now. Nevertheless, the Polish people deserved better. Really,

Luckily they didn't have to wait for long.

It's so bad, for so many reasons. Reasons that I would rather people found out for themselves, reasons that mean it's quite fun to make.  It only takes about an hour. In fact, about 15 minutes if you go for it.

Don't do what I did and try to reshape it, to actually look like what it's meant to be :deadhorse:  :banghead: .

Be simply happy to know that it doesn't really result in a PZL TS 11 Iskra. You'll enjoy the solid nosecone. I enjoyed it so much I nearly cut my finger off :thumbsup2: .

IMG_6351.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Correct photo link.

lasermonkey    609

@TonyTiger66 I most certainly concur with your assessment of the Roden He 111s. Several years ago I started their He 111C and while it superficially looks nice in the box, I soon came to realise that every single part seemed to be for a different kit! In the end I shelved it, waiting for a day when my skills might be up to the task. That was over ten years ago.......

Dishonourable mention must go to the Academy 1/72 F-15D. Another kit where little wants to fit together. I've filled, filed, sanded, filled again and had to rescribe, and it seems like each new stage presents a new challenge. Even the Dragon 1/72 Ta 152 gave me less trouble!

Cheers,

Mark.

Max Headroom    5,968

Best kit? A toss up between the 1/72 rag wing Hurricane by Airfix and the 1/48

Trumpeter MiG 3. Both virtually built themselves.

Worst has to be the Hobbyboss Hurricane IIc. The ventral fuselage/wing join refused all attempts at joining together.   

Trevor

ps Tony - why do you have He 111 nacelles by your bedside?!???!!?

TonyTiger66    5,629
1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

@TonyTiger66 I most certainly concur with your assessment of the Roden He 111s. Several years ago I started their He 111C and while it superficially looks nice in the box, I soon came to realise that every single part seemed to be for a different kit! In the end I shelved it, waiting for a day when my skills might be up to the task. That was over ten years ago.......

The He-111C is quite possibly the most frustrating one Mark, I can understand why you put it on the 'shelf'.

As you say, just lovely details, with instructions that make it all look very feasible.

I'm not sure how far you got with it, but there was one mojo defeating moment that resulted in mine going in my 'Drawer of Doom' too.

It's the part whereby I had done all the fettling necessary (I thought), to get the fuselage halves together, that frustrating component in under the fuselage, between the wing roots, and the canopy to fit. A trial fit looked extremely promising. 

I thought I had really done well (shim to widen the fuselage).

Then tried to fit the passenger cabin seats. 

No.

They wouldn't go in, wouldn't allow anything like a sensible central passenger walkway and allow the fuselage to close up. 

Lovely seats too. :cry: .

It doesn't sound like much; but that was the straw. The one that did it for me.

Then I found out, some weeks later, that there's one additional dimension to the challenges posed by the Roden He-111C.

For the decal scheme given;

D-AQYF "Liepzig", the wings are definitely incorrect in terms of the aircraft as originally built. This aircraft originally had round tipped fabric covered wings:

IMG_6364.jpg

:confused: .

The metal bomber style wings included in the kit, with clipped ends, would be suitable for the V4 prototype;

"D-AHAO "Dresden".

D-AQYF may have been retrofitted with metal wings at a later point; but I couldn't find any solid evidence of this.

Not the end of the world, but another frustration for those wishing to chance the kit decals.

I wanted to build Heinkel He-111 C-06 D-ATYL before it was retrofitted with the metal wings (and radial engines), so I would need to modify the wings to fabric type/rounded tip.

One day, one day. Buddy build :D?:rofl:!!

Best regards

TonyT

Brad    1,499

Some of the best; Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish, il-2 Sturmovik, Spitfire MK I and V, Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-84 and Ki 61.

Some of the worst; Smer 1/48 SM-79, Unicraft 1/72 Jet Senden, Ventura 1/72 Seafire XV, Revell 1/72 Spitfire mk I

G.E.SAUNDERS    15

hi ALL ,

if I read that Someone has moved House , I'll scream !...... we don't care !

A bad kit is only the Modellers inability to carry on reguardless   ......it's only pretend !

How does the Modeller handle stuff in real life ?... . " take their Bat 'n' Ball ? "

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

3DStewart    238
3 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

A bad kit is only the Modellers inability to carry on reguardless   ......it's only pretend !

I think most of us make models for enjoyment, not as a self-discipline. In any case modelling is like life, there are some things where the outcome doesn't justify the effort being spent and it's time to stop.

Worst kit? I can't remember, my brain blocks out the pain!

NAVY870    1,837

Best would be the Tamiya 1/48 Corsair, a joy to build.

I dont really have a worst build but I have a Fisher Sea Fury that hates me and I'm not fond of it

and a FM Halifax that double dog dared me to build it buts its a bit of a trial.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:01 AM, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi ALL ,

if I read that Someone has moved House , I'll scream !...... we don't care !

How does the Modeller handle stuff in real life ?... . " take their Bat 'n' Ball ? "

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

A bad kit is when someone has charged you good money for a poor quality product. A poor quality product might mean many things, but in a model kit context it would typically either indicate that the vendor has never attempted to prove their product by building it themselves, or did try, realised it was a total car-crash of a product and decides to put it to the market in a pretty box to recover his wasted costs anyway.

Limited run kits can be forgiven the extra work if accurate. Inaccurate kits may be forgiven their inaccuracies if they go together well (Tamiya). Kits with parts that are unfit for the purpose of assembly strongly point towards an unethical manufacturer - and those people are loathsome.

I have a kit which cannot be built into anything worth having. It cost me around £60. It would be worth more to me as unformed plastic. There's no point in carrying on regardless with it and I do possess the skills to scratchbuild a new fuselage, wings and tail to end up with something vaguely symmetrical - but were I to do that all I'd need would be the same set of drawings I'd need anyway but I wouldn't be £60 down on a bag full of scrap plastic.

Rob G    2,782

Despite its well-known inaccuracies, the 48th Academy Spitfire Mk.XIV is one of the nicest kits that I've ever built. As I recall I used no filler on it anywhere. If only it looked just a little more like a Griffon Spitfire.

The worst... Hmm...in 'modern' times (ie since I returned seriously to the hobby about 15 years ago) it's possibly the K.P. Avia CS-199 in 1/72. The horror, the horror...

Worst all time... most likely any of the old Airfix kits I attempted when I were a lad. I still have a half-built Ju-88 in the stash.

Bullbasket    1,941

If I was to wrack my tired brain, I could probably come up with some howlers from the mists of time, especially some of the vacforms that were around many years ago. But there is one kit that springs to mind, and that's only because I still have it upstairs in a part built state, and that is the AMT 1/48th scale kit of a Tempest V. It was an old kit when I bought it and that was more than twenty years ago. Very hard plastic, a cockpit canopy so thick it wouldn't have been out of place on a bathysphere. There are no locating tongues for the wings or tail planes, they butt join.

But having moved on to the dark side more than ten years ago, for me the best kit that I have built is undoubtedly Tasca's El Alamein Sherman ll. Parts are thinly moulded and it goes together like a dream.

John.

S5 modeller    1,881

The worst kit I've ever seen, so far, has got to be the airfix Handley page hampden. Poor fitting parts, overdone rivets and panel lines, super thick transparencies that are badly molded and too wide for the fuselage. 

Best kit so far, in my opinion, are the dragon iron man kits. Well engineered, all the parts fit perfectly, 90% of the joins are either along panel lines or covered by other parts. They're a joy to build, with the only negative I can attribute to them is the sometimes poor painting guides. Mainly consist of 1 or 2 photos of the finished kit. Sometimes half of the details aren't visible. 

A special mention goes to the italeri xb-70 valkyrie. People say it's pretty unbuildable, but with the application of good modeling practices, it can build up into a nice kit. I suppose the point I'm making is no kit is unbuildable, they all just need lashings of modeling love lavished on them, a point which gets lost amongst all the shake and bake wonder kits were spoilt with these days. 

Matt

Bullbasket    1,941
2 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

I suppose the point I'm making is no kit is unbuildable, they all just need lashings of modeling love lavished on them, a point which gets lost amongst all the shake and bake wonder kits were spoilt with these days. 

Matt, I agree with you up to a point. A lot of kits which have multiple problems with fit or accuracy, can, with sometimes a lot of work, be made into something presentable. But there are kits, and I'm talking AFV's now, which require so much alteration, that what you end up with is something that is scratch built. Some things are nigh on impossible to fix. When a manufacturer places something like a hatch in completely the wrong place, or road wheels are either way too big or small, then it's bin time.

John.

G.E.SAUNDERS    15

hi ALL ,

if you really want to have a grizzle about an Aircraft Kit that cannot be fixed

it's the GRAFIX Spitire (both 1/72 & 1/48 ) the Wings were made back to front

it even shows the error on the Instructions,

Anyway I built it as per Instructione' did really good paint work/custom Deeecal application

I showed the completed model to an "Expert" on Aircraft.....he did'nt pick it !

.....went off in a huff when I explained ,

I bought (2) the 2nd I chopped up into a pretend local Fire Spotter Aircraft...even gave it a

Victorian Aircraft Manufacturer Name....some believed me  !   g.g.m.s. !

Has'nt hit the Comp Tables yet .

cheery "modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

S5 modeller    1,881
1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Matt, I agree with you up to a point. A lot of kits which have multiple problems with fit or accuracy, can, with sometimes a lot of work, be made into something presentable. But there are kits, and I'm talking AFV's now, which require so much alteration, that what you end up with is something that is scratch built. Some things are nigh on impossible to fix. When a manufacturer places something like a hatch in completely the wrong place, or road wheels are either way too big or small, then it's bin time.

John.

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge on afv's, as it's an area I've not been involved in. The hampden I have practically given up on was pretty much the same. Nearly every single part needed adjusting, or modifying. Nothing fits at all. Like you say, scratch building a complete airframe would be easier, plus the fortune you would save on aftermarket parts to correct it could buy a half way decent kit. 

G.E.SAUNDERS    15

hi ALL ,

but then ....... I don't build "Green Boxes " !

cheery "weekend Modellin' "mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

Antoine    1,245

The worst so far.

Academy drone, 1/35, can't even remember the name, and don't want to look for it.

Way too fragile.

rq_01710.jpg

S5 modeller    1,881
10 hours ago, Antoine said:

The worst so far.

Academy drone, 1/35, can't even remember the name, and don't want to look for it.

Way too fragile.

rq_01710.jpg

Ooh, I've got that kit in the stash, think it's an rbq something. Did you model the little soldier figures too? Wonder how the sheet of digital camera works out.