DH Mosquito NFXIII

Beard

I only have a few kits of De Havilland aircraft in the stash so here's something predictable... a Mosquito.

I was going to do a NF30, using the Blackbird Models conversion set but have changed my mind and will do one of the two options in the box.

Speaking of boxes. Here are some photographs to prove the kit is, well under, 25% completed:

20170418_195906

20170418_195919

I've made a start:

20170419_160055

20170419_160115

The reason I changed my mind about doing a NF30 is that, although the conversion parts look good, I'm not confident about cutting up a Tamiya kit without making a complete mess. In fact, I did start cutting and made a complete mess; I managed to cut too much of the top of the nacelle away and have had to re-fix it and fill the cuts (which doesn't look too pretty).

More to follow later.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Beard
to change the title of the thread.
  • Like 4

I'm in!

Interested to see how this one builds and you've made a very nice start Simon.

I did do a double take on the wood effect floor before my eyes re-focused! :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm in!

Interested to see how this one builds and you've made a very nice start Simon.

I did do a double take on the wood effect floor before my eyes re-focused! :) 

It's the same kit as the MkIV and MkVI, just has a different nose.

• Like 1

Woah! So you do model more than the occasional non-Spitfire! That's an epiphany!

You are lucky to have only a few DH kits in the stash. I have only one and that is the very old Airfix Tiger Moth... So I have wisely decided to give it a miss...

I agree with you: cutting up a Tamiya kit is a bit like welding a roof rack on a Rolls Royce, except worse.

Have fun with the plastic wonder!

JR

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jean said:

Woah! So you do model more than the occasional non-Spitfire! That's an epiphany!

You are lucky to have only a few DH kits in the stash. I have only one and that is the very old Airfix Tiger Moth... So I have wisely decided to give it a miss...

I agree with you: cutting up a Tamiya kit is a bit like welding a roof rack on a Rolls Royce, except worse.

Have fun with the plastic wonder!

JR

Thanks JR.

If I don't mention it, no-one will notice...

2017-04-19_06-25-13

Nearly finished the interior:

20170419_180600

20170419_180609

20170419_182158

20170419_182207

Then remembered that I needed to do some harnesses:

20170419_182216

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

I'm in, I rather fancy this one myself.  

My collection is of FAA pilots with significant claims.  On the night of 22/23 June '44 Sub-Lt (A) M.H.J.Petrie RNZNVR with his observer Lt F.A.Noyes piloting No.125 Sqn Mosquito NF.XIII HK252:VA-B, claimed the destruction of 2 Ju88s near Le Havre.  So it is one I will attempt at some time, unfortunately the 1/48 version is no longer available..

Mind if I sit at the back here?

Edited by Grey Beema
Noticed a mistake HK252 was a XIII
  • Like 1

With a coat of paint, nobody will notice the Frankenstein engine!

Way to go!

JR

14 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I'm in, I rather fancy this one myself.  

My collection is of FAA pilots with significant claims.  On the night of 22/23 June '44 Sub-Lt (A) M.H.J.Petrie RNZNVR with his observer Lt F.A.Noyes piloting No.125 Sqn Mosquito NF.XVII HK262:VA-B, claimed the destruction of 2 Ju88s near Le Havre.  So it is one I will attempt at some time, unfortunately the 1/48 version is no longer available..

Mind if I sit at the back here?

Don't be shy, I think you'll find there are plenty of seats at the front.

14 minutes ago, jean said:

With a coat of paint, nobody will notice the Frankenstein engine!

Way to go!

JR

No-one will notice with the amount of paint I'll put on it.

• Like 2

Very nice interiors Simon - those radios and belts look really nice.

OK I'll ask... what's happening with the nacelle? :hmmm: 

• Like 1

Good morning Beard

Very good start I will follow your build as I have this one in my stash but I don't know if I will be able to build it in time for this Gb as I have somethig else in mind ...

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

As threatened, here are some photographs.

The nacelles have been painted with Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium:

20170422_145426

and glued together:

20170422_150131

As have the wings:

20170422_150202

The fuselage is ready for the wings:

20170422_150212

I've since attached the nacelles to the wings and, the wings and elevators to the fuselage. The undercarriage is next.  *shudder*

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice job Simon - good luck with the undercarriage :) 

Thank you Ced. The undercarriage looks as complicated as it is but I know it isn't too hard to put together.

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Lovely interior paint work Simon.

Thanks Cookie.

This kit is the oldest resident in my stash - predating my return to modelling by almost a decade. 

That's what I call foresight, you bought the kit because you were planning a return to modelling in the next ten years. :D

I'll finally see how it goes together!

To see it done properly, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

That's good progress Simon, nice job mate B)

I don't think you'll have any issues with the undercarriage, complicated as it appears to be; as long as you remember which side the retraction strut goes you'll be able to tell the port from the starboard gear units - if you prefer you can install them very easily at the end of the build to save masking...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

On 21 April 2017 at 7:49 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Beard

Very good start I will follow your build as I have this one in my stash but I don't know if I will be able to build it in time for this Gb as I have somethig else in mind ...

Patrice

Thank you Patrice.

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's good progress Simon, nice job mate B)

I don't think you'll have any issues with the undercarriage, complicated as it appears to be; as long as you remember which side the retraction strut goes you'll be able to tell the port from the starboard gear units - if you prefer you can install them very easily at the end of the build to save masking...

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.

Because I know I'll get the starboard and port undercarriage confused, I plan to assemble, paint and install them seperately after I've painted the kit (and, possibly, putting the transfers on).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Try painting a blob of green on the right u/c red on the left (only really need to do one) somewhere easy to retouch when the u/c is attached (or somewhere unseen later).

That's a very good idea.

I've joined the wings to the fuselage, given the while thing a coat of Humbrol 165 (it'll need a Micromesh to remove brush marks) and have started to assemble the undercarriage.

2017-04-26_04-33-15

2017-04-26_04-32-20

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've not kept this one up-to-date but here's where it is now... waiting for transfers.

I managed to break the gunsite off (and lose it) and have made a right pig's ear of the canopy (I'll be visiting the local hardware shop to get some ammonia-based cleaning fluid on Thursday).

2017-05-09_05-03-53

(In fact, it's had the starboard side transfers applied since this photograph was taken but don't mention that to anyone.)

• Like 5