1/48 Hasegawa Mitsubishi J2M3

Raiden%20000_zps5iesim4a.jpg

Raiden%20002_zpsyag83smp.jpg

Raiden%20003_zpsfjiv3zyy.jpg

Raiden%20001_zpsrquahrvi.jpg

This is my Mitsubishi Raiden Japanese Navy Fighter - hopefully the pictures are okay - I had a friend Kevin McCue from Galashiels take them yesterday with his professional camera

and he used a micro lens ( hopefully I described that correct ) - as the digital camera I own , is pretty poor for taking close-up photos

This aircraft has the AeroMaster Empire Defenders decals , Moskit exhausts I totally hollow ) - superb aftermarket item !

Squadron Vac canopy , Brass 20mm Cannon Barrels and Fukuya Metal pitot tube - hopefully my paintwork and finishing on the Model meets with your approval ?

note The Super detailing in the canopy and scratch-built Radio etc - and the extra photo-etch inside for switches , above and well beyond the standard Eduard Etch sets ..

kind regards

David

• Like 18

The pictures are very good, as is the model! 

I'm not a photographer, but I wonder if you mean macro lens??

Regards,

David

• Like 1

I think you are right , its a macro lens !

Glad you like the Model , the Hasegawa is far , far superior to the Tamiya Raiden

I have always been interested in the Raiden since I read Bill Gunston's ' German Italian and Japanese Fighters of WW2 ' by Salamander Books from 1980

This was a real revelation , how many different and interesting Fighters the Japanese operated in WW2 , and how little I had heard of them ( nothing )

till I read the book in 1980

• Like 1

Brilliant looking model, photos good, and yes, back in the 80s every Japanese aircraft was a Zero, History written after the war did the same, only recently have found out, lot Oscars about as well, all down to a lot of Japanese aircraft having same profile 😊

• Like 1

I recommend you source that book ( cheap as chips ) , to show you how little is on the Raiden ( unless you read Japanese ) - the Designer was the guy  who did the zero

but the amazing thing is that the best book is from 1974 !! Air Enthusiast on the raiden - nothing to compare to it since !1

Thank you very much , this model will feature soon in an up-coming Blog Entry on a very popular Aviation site - once I hear from the owner

( my hasegawa  Ki.84 will feature very soon on the blog , this month , I hope )

40 minutes ago, 73north said:

I have always been interested in the Raiden since I read Bill Gunston's ' German Italian and Japanese Fighters of WW2 ' by Salamander Books from 1980

This was a real revelation , how many different and interesting Fighters the Japanese operated in WW2 , and how little I had heard of them ( nothing )

till I read the book in 1980

Dear David,

I have been developing a thing for IJN and IJA planes lately, and I agree with you that there's a rich diversity on offer. Many examples that are not only interesting but very attractive, too. 

Do you think the Hasegawa is also the best Raiden in 1/72?

I'll have to do a bit of a search for the book you mentioned.

Regards,

David 

• Like 1

whatever you do , get the Air Enthusiast Magazine ( July 1974 ) - 8 very detailed pages

in my opinion ( your choice ) I would stick to 1/48 scale as the aftermarket items are more easily fitted and available

1/72 is a waste of time , unless you have space or money problems - the details are less impressive in 1/72 scale

also for 1 penny !!!!!!!! on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-German-Italian-Japanese-Fighters/dp/0861010647

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 73north said:

the Hasegawa is far , far superior to the Tamiya Raiden

Having recently done the Tamiya I would agree with you, it's a very basic kit - I had do a hell of a lot of work on it to get it presentable.

You've done an excellent job on yours, particularly on the paining and weathering.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

Having recently done the Tamiya I would agree with you, it's a very basic kit - I had do a hell of a lot of work on it to get it presentable.

You've done an excellent job on yours, particularly on the paining and weathering.

yeah , the Tamiya might be cheaper , but its got raised panel lines and fixed , moulded exhausts with the cowling -

its the same kit that was released a long time ago - in 1973 !! - and it shows inside - I steered well clear of that Model

I would urge anyone buying the Raiden to make sure you buy the alternative resin exhausts by Quickboost and the 20mm Brass Barrels by Air master of Poland

they make a big difference , the other essential fitment is the Squadron vac Form canopy - as the hasegawa kit canopy is moulded in the closed position !!

thanks for the kind remarks on the painting - the Aztek Air Brush is a lovely to use , and I used a silver pencil for the weathering ( not excessive and looks about right )

various articles on the Raiden here

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/search?q=raiden

including its, and books.

Nick Millman. blog author, paint researcher and member has done a PDF on Raiden colours

AVIATION OF JAPAN KEY DATA GUIDE # 1 - MITSUBISHI J2M RAIDEN COLOUR NOTES

Aviation of Japan Key Data Guide # 1 - Mitsubishi J2M Raiden Colour Notes 
10-page pdf, 9 colour chips, explanatory notes.

Japanese colours cause a lot of confusion, but I suspect your green is to bright,  Japanese greens are deep dark greens, and don't fade much, even when flaking off, here some dump shots in colour

A6M5-Zero-scrap.jpg

and "Mitsubishi J2M Jack, Freeman Fld, Indiana 1945"

J2M-Jack-Freeman-Fld-Indiana-1945.jpg

Great bit of modelling though,  hope the above of interest

T

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 73north said:

yeah , the Tamiya might be cheaper , but its got raised panel lines and fixed , moulded exhausts with the cowling -

its the same kit that was released a long time ago - in 1973 !! - and it shows inside - I steered well clear of that Model

Very true, but having said that I enjoyed building the kit and because it is very basic, I ended up learning a lot of new techniques. Being on a limited budget that doesn't stretch to some of the fancy aftermarket stuff, I ended up doing quite a lot of scratch-building. As a result, the kit made me a better modeller, and I gives me a greater sense of satisfaction at the end result.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 73north said:

That's a pretty good price... not sure of shipping to Oz, though.

I'm inclined to stick to 1/72, at least while my eyes let me. It's a seemly scale to me.

Regards,

David 

• Like 1

thanks guys , I appreciate your comments !

I was determined to make a really top-grade Raiden Model , as I noticed most Models made of it , frankly skimped on the details, and tried to ' do it on the cheap '

I wanted the Model to be First Class and , above all , represent all that is now known about this Japanese Fighter - especially in the Cockpit Area

6 hours ago, davmarx said:

Beautiful job, David. Your Raiden looks like... "very used"! :D

:clap2:

Ciao.

Davide

Thanks very much , too kind

Glad you like her - I highly recommend you source for your own kits , any Moskit Exhausts , the difference to a Kit Solid Plastic Exhaust Stack - is simply amazing ( like night and day )

I tried not to go too overboard on the weathering , I love the look on the Raiden, they look mean and angry little aircraft !

as you are Italian - you might like this Italian WW2 aircraft , I built and sold ( I sent the build photos to this great Italian Aviation website )

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG55/DavidWalker/FiatG55_1a.html

enjoy !

David Walker

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

On 22/4/2017 at 18:32, 73north said:

Thanks very much , too kind

Glad you like her - I highly recommend you source for your own kits , any Moskit Exhausts , the difference to a Kit Solid Plastic Exhaust Stack - is simply amazing ( like night and day )

I tried not to go too overboard on the weathering , I love the look on the Raiden, they look mean and angry little aircraft !

as you are Italian - you might like this Italian WW2 aircraft , I built and sold ( I sent the build photos to this great Italian Aviation website )

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG55/DavidWalker/FiatG55_1a.html

enjoy !

David Walker

Thanks David, you did a great job on the Fiat G.55:clap2:

The Canadian site "Stormomagazine" is always very interesting.:yes:

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

The Hasegawa 1/32 Model is better , as it has more detail ,its more ultra modern  and also a canopy that you can easily display open - and more aftermarket items ( like hollow exhausts )

and a larger scale is easier to work on - really

but if you want a nice Model , and have less room , and work at it , the 1/48 Hasegawa Model is a lovely kit

note - I didn't realise that Aeroplane Monthly did a special Database on the Raiden in February 2016 , so I have bought that magazine today !!

• Like 1