Hi all sailors! This is my rendition of the IJN Myoko at the Battle  of the Java sea. I have used the Flyhawk set plus numerous accessories from veteran, lion's roar and GMP. Best regards, jean.

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg

• Like 25

Hello Zigomar,

Battle of the Java Sea. Black page in the history of the Dutch navy. Admiral Helfrich, the Dutch overall commander from the ABDA group (Combined Striking Force) did not embark on this mission. He knew already what the outcome would be.

Useless destruction of valuable Allied warships that was desperately needed later in the war. More than a thousand   young men lost their lives total unnecessary.   Helfrich was not sacked, but fought the war from out of Australia and Colombo. What we would call a "Armchair Admiral'.  He died eventually in his bed, at the age of 76 in 1962. Rear Admiral Karel Doorman (Task Force Commander) discussed the coming battle with his superior (Helfrich) to convince him, that this battle should not take place, due to the Japanese overwhelming Naval Forces. He was ordered by Helfrich to go to sea and attack.  Doorman went down with his cruiser, he knew from the start that is was a one way mission.

Despite all this, young Navy Midshipmen, still get indoctrinated that it was a great battle the needed to be fought. I have my greatest doubts about this. It delayed the Japanese Amphibious operations with on day.

The model,all I can say Zigo is: ' You are a Master Modeler"

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Thanks Orion for your comments. And Yes I am well aware of the situation of the Dutch forces at this stage of the Pacific War. That's why the only Dutch carrier was called "Karel Doorman" is n't it?Not only the Navy but the Dutch air force also paid a heavy tribute, just to give Indonesia independance in 46! Lest we forget!

• Like 1

Beautiful build indeed. So much I could say about the Battle of the Java Sea but I think it has been said well above by Orion, so on this our ANZAC day, I'll pay remembrance to many brave lives uselessly squandered. Lest we Forget.

Steve.