About primers & putty

Valleyofvallejo

Hello everyone. I am currently building a 1/72 Rafale M by Revell (Italeri reboxing) & I have a can of Mr Surfacer 1000 that I will be planning on trading for some other primer at my local hobby store. I have made some mistakes with my kit (because I'm a total beginner) so I would need some kind of putty. I will need to fill both small & relatively large gaps. I have a few questions to ask.

Would lacquer based primers fog up clear plastic? What would you need to thin Tamiya putty (basic type) & can you use Contacta Professional (the only glue that I have ATM) to thin the putty?

My local hardware stores don't sell Miliput (I live in Australia BTW) so will the following epoxy putty do? http://www.selleys.com.au/fillers-putty/epoxy/knead-it-aqua/ 

On 19/4/2017 at 10:54 AM, Valleyofvallejo said:

Would lacquer based primers fog up clear plastic?

clear plastic (like canopies)  should be masked before spraying primer, so I guess fogging is not an issue. 

What would you need to thin Tamiya putty (basic type) & can you use Contacta Professional (the only glue that I have ATM) to thin the putty?

Tamiya putty can indeed be thinned with plastic cement. I think  you can also thin it with acetone or lacquer thinner.

I do not know about this brand of putty, but I suspect it will not be as smooth as Milliput. Anyway epoxy putty is probably better

kept for rather large reshaping jobs, for most gaps standard modeling putty is better. 

Personally I use CA glue most of the time to fill gaps, and CA accelerator applied with a toothpick. It sets instantly and hardens to a consistence very close to styrene, so it is easy to sand.

HTH,

Christian.

My local hardware stores don't sell Miliput (I live in Australia BTW) so will the following epoxy putty do? http://www.selleys.com.au/fillers-putty/epoxy/knead-it-aqua/ 

1 hour ago, cger said:

clear plastic (like canopies)  should be masked before spraying primer, so I guess fogging is not an issue. 

Tamiya putty can indeed be thinned with plastic cement. I think  you can also thin it with acetone or lacquer thinner.

I do not know about this brand of putty, but I suspect it will not be as smooth as Milliput. Anyway epoxy putty is probably better

kept for rather large reshaping jobs, for most gaps standard modeling putty is better. 

Personally I use CA glue most of the time to fill gaps, and CA accelerator applied with a toothpick. It sets instantly and hardens to a consistence very close to styrene, so it is easy to sand.

HTH,

Christian.

I'm talking about the parts of the canopy that you will be painting, is it okay to leave the canopy frames exposed when using lacquer primers?

Are all plastic cements by different brands the same? Also, whaddya think of the Tamiya epoxy putty?

ok, I got it. I think it is ok to leave the canopy frame exposed. To be safe I would test it on a leftover canopy. 

Not all plastic cements are the same. The ones which are the most useful are the thin type, (Tamiya for example in the bottles with the green cap), you can look at some videos on Youtube to learn how to use it. Revell Contacta is also ok, but thicker.

Tamiya epoxy putty is quite similar to Milliput, it is not really meant  to fill gaps, but more for sculpting or modifying figures. It can also be rolled in very thin sheets to make tarps, seatbelts etc.

HTH,

Christian.

• 3 weeks later...

spookily I have just started this kit too, my son bought it for me while he was a lad so I thought it was high time...

for filler I personally always use superglue, a reasonable quality one (the proper bottles of Tommy Walsh superglue that Poundland used to have were actually perfect but NOT the crappy little tubes),.  drop a couple of spots onto a surface and mix a tiny bit of talcum powder, mix to a paste, use as filler, dries really quickly, can be accelerated, sands and smooths like plastic, doesn't shrink, perfect I find.  hope this helps