Eduard 1/72 Spitfire Mk.XVIe

Hi all,

I finally worked out posting my photos.  All that's left is the trauma of transferring them from tablet to flickr as I can't get the app to work for me.

Anyway, this is my first Eduard, first airbrushed paint job, first photoetch and first pre-cut masking project.  Its the lowback from the Mk.XVI dual combo.  Next time I may try some of the more advanced weathering techniques, I just wanted to build it straight first.

20170402_120116

I put the decal on the spinner first, as if it didn't work I could resort to one of the other schemes!

20170402_120128

The photo shows silvering on the nightmare to apply straight walkways, the silvering doesn't show in real life, but then again you'd poke your eye out with the prop or cannons looking this close.

20170402_120226

No prizes for spotting any stencil errors.

20170402_120040

Hmm,  may need to get the duster out there.

Well, I'm very pleased with it.  Its also one of my fastest recent builds as i finished it a couple of weeks ago having only bought the kit at Bovington in February.  If you would like to see a sort of WIP there's a write up in our group newsletter which you may get as a free pdf download:

http://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/magazine/the-romsey-modeller-2017/april-2017

When I resolve uploading to flickr there's more to come.

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
Title corrected
  • Like 16

Nice Spit. Love those markings.

Only thing I'd suggest is maybe use a fine brush to clean up the camouflage demarcation lines where they're a bit ragged. I had the same problem using stick on masks. Now I prefer brushing the green on free hand or using white tack masks.

Anyway, I really like the model. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Nice Spit. Love those markings.

Only thing I'd suggest is maybe use a fine brush to clean up the camouflage demarcation lines where they're a bit ragged. I had the same problem using stick on masks. Now I prefer brushing the green on free hand or using white tack masks.

Anyway, I really like the model. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Ian.

I have done a few touch ups (in grey areas) but I found with the layers of future and Matt varnish, and brush vs air, they show up in the flesh if not on photos.  I may revisit the camo though as I was aiming for smoother curves.

I tried the blutak worms method but they wouldn't stick and made a lot of dust so I dropped that idea.  I drew the camo out with copydex then infilled,  but it's hard to see the exact line of the edge of the copydex within a few seconds as the thin edge dries quickly.  It's fun pulling off the masking afterwards though.

I may try white tak if I can find some or cut tape masks to the camo pattern on the next spit which is an AZ Tr.9 in Dutch service. - or I could go for the silver or orange options and avoid the issue!

Cheers all for your interest and comments,

Will