Revell acrylics vs others

Smudgeboy

Just a quick question, having great fun learning to use my first ever airbrush, and using acrylic paints for the first time as well.

As I'm doing a Revell 1/72 F-14 Tomcat, for ease of getting the right colours, I also bought Revell acrylic paints. So far, not knowing any better, I'm getting on fine with them, although my airbrushing techniques are still raw, to say the least.

But in looking at a load of YouTube videos on airbrushing techniques etc, it seems that just about everyone who is anyone seems to refer to using what I would now describe as a "Big 4" of acrylic paints - these being Tamiya, Vallejo, Mr Hobby and Xtracrylic.

Simple question really - are these makes really that much better than Revell, or is there a bit of snobbery going on?

Don't know where you live, but here in Trumpland (formerly the United States of America) Revell paints are almost impossible to obtain. Hence other brands are widely used.

• Like 2

If you can buy those Revell paints just do they will do fine if not very good!!

I don't use them because they have a limited range of colors and that is the only reason because i really like that paint...

So please Revell make your range bigger:D

i meant the acrylics...

Edited by janneman36
info added

The big question Smudge.

It does not matter what every one else uses. It is which and what is best for you. How you work, what you build and the scale

All come into the scenario.

Best advice is to try yourself the big four as you put it. Buy a pot of each and see how it goes.

As you are using an airbrush probably the big four are the ones. I would also add Mig AK and Lifecolor which are all acrylic and

similar to Vallejo.

Vallejo are produced on Vallejo Model (really for brushing although can be airbrushed with loads of thinners). and Vallejo Air

(as suggested they are prepared for airbrushing). Vallejo Air are rated non toxic.

Tamiya I have just started using and are very nice but the colours are limited.

Some are toxic some are not. But warning always use a nose filter (which ever paint) with the filters specified for the paint types.

If possible a paint booth with an extractor to the outside.

But do try samples of each. It is a must. All will say use this as it is their choice. But there are I have found wide differences in

the paints manufacturers. It is your choice which counts.

Laurie

Revell aqua are my favourite acrylics, especially for brush painting. If it wasn't for the low amount of colours, I wouldn't buy another acrylic brand. Once stirred, and properly thinned with some water, I find them to be excellent for brush or air, and they adhere almost as well as an enamel paint once cured. Revell kits give mixing formulas for them if you want to try for correct colours, or you can be lazy and just go with 'near enough'. Unfortunately, nobody has made a master list of mixes for them, like what you find with Humbrol, Tamiya, etc.

I can say I have literally tried every acrylic on the market, and none have come near these for me. Whether it be colour density, adherence, ability to thin right down and leave no brush strokes for brush painting, ability to spray easily just using water and a touch of flow improver, sheer amount of thick paint for the dollar, excellent metallics, and they behave very well with pretty much all finishing products...just make sure you clean your brush/airbrush straight after use (or even during use for long brush painting sessions with the one colour), because this stuff can be a bitch to get out (remember what I said about adherence?), or try purchasing some revell aqua cleaner, which I am told removes dried aqua nicely for whatever it is on.

Thanks everyone for the interesting and educational responses. As many have said, I guess at some point I have to suck it and see.

So far, I've found the Revell Aqua ones to be pretty good, although I still need to practice my airbrush technique and I'm pretty sure I didn't thin them enough on one or two occasions. The underside of my F-14 Tomcat looks superb, but the topside looks a little 'grainy' suggesting (I assume) a combination of under-thinning and spraying from too far away, so some paint was drying before it reached the plastic.  

Practice, practice, practice.

I've got some Tamiya acrylics on order for my next project, so that'll be a good start for comparisons.

Thanks again everyone.

48 minutes ago, Smudgeboy said:

Thanks everyone for the interesting and educational responses. As many have said, I guess at some point I have to suck it and see.

So far, I've found the Revell Aqua ones to be pretty good, although I still need to practice my airbrush technique and I'm pretty sure I didn't thin them enough on one or two occasions. The underside of my F-14 Tomcat looks superb, but the topside looks a little 'grainy' suggesting (I assume) a combination of under-thinning and spraying from too far away, so some paint was drying before it reached the plastic.  

Practice, practice, practice.

I've got some Tamiya acrylics on order for my next project, so that'll be a good start for comparisons.

Thanks again everyone.

Smudge with your Tamiya thin. When I open a pot I put about 25% thinners in. There is enough room. Others put even more in but 25% suits me ie suit yourself.

Laurie