Britmodeller running slow?

N'kay... ran back through our old support tickets, and applied a fix that seems to have come undone (is that a thing?), and let's see if that helps? :hmmm:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

N'kay... ran back through our old support tickets, and applied a fix that seems to have come undone (is that a thing?), and let's see if that helps? :hmmm:

Otherwise known as an unspecified enhancement :)

Has anyone been suffering from slow responses from the site at times this week?  I would have hoped that no-one posting here was a good thing, but for the fact that I and some of the other staffers have been getting some lag on occasion.  I've applied another self-help fix to the server, and would ask that anyone struggling with slow responses and long waits between the page requests chimes in here.  Clearly, we want to get to the bottom of this if it's still an issue for folks :)

I have, it takes an age to refresh a page or go back a page.

Other sites on the same laptop with the same broadband connection are working fine - it's just BM I'm afraid Mike :(

Noted - you're all being very patient :yes:

Well - the restart of the web server process was quick :)  I changed a few PHP settings, to ensure that Support won't moan at us about it.  Let's see if that improves our response times? :hmmm:

Keep popping back if you're having issues, as if the team & I aren't suffering, we're inclined to assume you guys are ok too, which is usually a fair assumption ;)

• 1 month later...

I installed the latest (and big) upgrade for Windows 10 yesterday and BM appears to be running much smoother; with page refresh and the Load more activity functions being much faster now.  Perhaps it was just my PC had a got a bit clogged before, although I regularly use diagnostic tools to keep it all up to date; or perhaps the updated Windows has cleared some bugs etc.

Mike

That's interesting :hmmm: How can an OS update improve the perceived performance of a website though? :blink:  Oh yes, it's Windows 10. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The person who looks after my unit came around a few months back after I had one of

my moans about slowing down and weird things.

Pressed a few buttons and laughed as a large list appeared. It went something like you

do not need that or that or that or that etc. delete button rapidly started to smoke. Delved

into a few other things and the machine started to rocket along.

Problem, he said, was you add this that and all the other plus a few things which web sites

add. Apparently anything running in the background is monitored by the system to see

if action is required the more added the longer the monitoring causing the delays.

Laurie

PS edit. Perhaps that is one reason for some finding things slowing up here. My machine is still

romping along on here. Thinks perhaps I can find the equivalent to a Computer doctor who can

revamp my body. Brain is OK (ha ha) do not need a body trampling over that  : yet. :lalala:

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

It seems a bit hit or miss for me, sometimes it fine, next it takes an age, whilst in the same browsing session!

I use Windows 7 and Mac at home, plus I have 2 iPads and iPhone and have the problem on all and whilst I'm sure it's not connected, it does appear to be that the problem has become more noticeable since the change to the new forum.

I don't know if this is related or even relevant but I had this message as I tried to open the site a few minutes ago (18:22)

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 579820177

Varnish cache server

A quick Google informs me that this shows up when the server is under maintenance or not coping with an overload.

This is the second time I've seen this one,hope this is of use. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

I don't know if this is related or even relevant but I had this message as I tried to open the site a few minutes ago (18:22)

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

Varnish cache server

A quick Google informs me that this shows up when the server is under maintenance or not coping with an overload.

I just got one of those while trying to bring up the forum. It took three tries to get here.

Chris

6 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

Varnish cache server

I too am getting this, glad it's not just me as I was beginning to take it personally, the site is running pitifully slow tonight!

I'm going to press submit, boil the kettle, make some tea, allow it to cool down to an acceptable temperature then drink it slowly, by the time I've finished this reply might have uploaded to the site - might being the operative!

Not getting the error message on an Android tablet but takes 3 minutes minimum to load a page. Took 5 minutes to get this page loaded....

Tony

Update: As of 18:50 GMT it seems to have got faster and more responsive. Mike must have put more coal in the boiler...

• Like 1

18:58

Certainly it's seemed slow to me today and it's still very slow. I'm using an Android phone, iPad2 and a Win7 pro running as a fresh install on a fast laptop. Page load speed is roughly the same on all devices (1min-1min 20secs)

Brian

Probably the hacking again... the folks that hate Britmodeller really must have deep pockets, but as they've been at it in some form or other for around 8 years, it's hardly surprising really :shrug: Wouldn't it be better if they donated that money to Help for Heroes, or spent some time in therapy for their issues and learned to move on, rather than staying bitter that long? :mental:  Bearing a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die from it.

• Like 11

Funny thing Mike but as we all know what the cause of the slow running is their efforts are counterproductive.  Their lack of character in hiding behind the anonymity of the net is eloquent testimony to their immaturity and small minds.