1/72 Mk.1 Tank by Masterbox

Hi all,

I've had a bit of spare time over the Easter so decided to knock up this small tank.It's the female version (machine gun armed) of the Mk.1 tank which were first used during the battle of the Somme in 1916. Nothing much to say about the construction other than it went together nicely without any filler. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and mounted on a 6" x 4" photo frame with flower arranging block off-cuts forming the contours, then bedded in with Polycell and small bits of soil from the garden .Annoyingly the Vallejo pigments have dried a different colour to the groundwork. The whole thing went together remarkably quickly over a couple of days

One of these early tanks supported my great uncles battalion (12th Bn Durham Light Infantry) during their successful assault to take Le Sars in October 1916. Sadly he didn't make it through and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing

Thanks for looking,Tim.

photo DSC04444.jpg
photo DSC04443.jpg
photo 0acaed41-0320-475f-bf3a-8903c0d83f17.jpg
photo DSC04440.jpg
photo DSC04441.jpg
  • Like 12

Nicely finished and displayed. Nice also to read about the personal connection you have. I built the Airfix Mk I a year or two ago. I'd quite like to build this one as a companion piece.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I built the Airfix kit a while ago and thought it was really nice. This one though takes it to a much higher level of finesse. It has a look of Noah's Ark about with the grenade mesh on the roof. I think I'll have a look at their Austin Mk.IV armoured car next 👍

• Like 1

Love the dio I had to read the whole thread twice cause I didn't see what scale it was. Originally thought it was 1/35. A testament to your work sir!!!

Edited by Cromwell
Typo
  • Like 1