SPRAY PAINT EQUIVELANTS

albamac

HI Folks,

Can anyone kindly advise me on the following.

Do Halfords, (well known automotive store in the UK) do paint that roughly matches RAF Dark Green and RAF Dark Sea Grey? Being on a bit of a budget I find the courier costs quite expensive when ordering from certain model suppliers as the items can't come by Royal Mail. I have used Halfords Primer and then gave it a little polish and Future application and it looked OK to a semi-blind person. I know Halfords do quite a wide paint range and luckily the shop is within easy walking distance for me. Many thanks.

albamac:viking:........(frustrated Norseman)

• Like 1

I have used the primer as a medium grey on a few things and it looks fine ; I also use Halfords Peugeot aluminium as the starting point for a natural metal finish - it looks better without a primer coat strangely.

If you took a colour swatch down to Halfords to match up their paints to British or Federal standards you might get some funny looks but would have answers that people have been asking for ages.

Let us know.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, canberra kid said:

There is a colour called, I think "Leaf Green" that is close too Humbrol 30 

John

Which isn't close to BS381C-241 Dark Green despite what Airfix insist.

7 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Which isn't close to BS381C-241 Dark Green despite what Airfix insist.

True it isn't a match for Dark Green, that's why I said Humbrol 30 if you're happy with near enough, which a lot of people are, including to an extent I am, then it's fine, non of the off the shelf Halfords paints are as far as I know a BS match for any RAF camouflage paints.

John  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Jones said:

you know that Halfords can mix any BS381C paint into a spray can , if you know the number they will mix it.

I have used the mix servic twice, but it is more expensive and at the time they didn't do an Acrylic paint it was synthetic Cellulose which required very careful preparation to prevent the paint eating the model. The spray nozzle was better than the standard can and the paint was a dream to work with, it  was the cost that I didn't like buy having said that, If they now do it in acrylic I will give it another go.

John    

Hi Guys,

Your advice re. Halford paints has been very interesting. I'm like Canberra Kid, inasmuch "as near as damn it/close enough" is often acceptable on certain occasions for me. The nearest equivalents help greatly especially in the BS381c/BS 4800 range so once again thanks for your time and effort in assisting me. I can now walk to said shop with a list in my arthritic wee hands. Cheers:drink:

albamac:viking:.........(frustrated Norseman)