Typhoon Car Door

Hello again,

Here is my Hawker Typhoon 1B, Its the Brengun kit, which looked really nice on the sprues. Good subtle recessed external detail, and great internal details in the pit and wheel wells.

Unfortunately it didn't fit as well as it looked! Most parts needed sanding to fit within their component settings. That is the wheel wells and the cockpit structures both needed lots of dry fitting sanding before committing glue anywhere near the respective parts. It was a real battle to get this little beast together.

Having said that it turned out not too badly, and in the hands of a better modeler could be a fine looking example.

Anyway heres the pictures, thanks for looking.

Cheers

Greg

IMG_2441_zpsmfzdibdb.jpg

IMG_2443_zpszrcxmmbq.jpg

IMG_2444_zpsefpxwqoi.jpg

IMG_2446_zpsvkqc0gzk.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsnl0n5iol.jpg

IMG_2450_zpsldjgq2rk.jpg

All comments welcolme :D

• Like 31

Hi Greg,

as always, we'll have to take your word that this kit made your life more difficult than it should have been!

The final result is quite stunning and there are no signs nor stains from the blood and tears you have shed.

Bottom line: a scrumptious Typhoon!!! Congrats.

I much prefer the car door and for some silly reason, my stash only contains bubble canopies... Go figure...

Great show!!!

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

Yes, I should do a work in progress some time! You could have had a good laugh at my blundering murdering some perfectly good plastic :lol:.

Apart from the older Frog kit I am unaware of any other 1/72 car door Tiffy's. Like you I prefer the car door to the bubble top. Purely for aesthetic reasons. 

Glad you like it, thanks again for the kind comments.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

You are quite correct.

I have indeed the Frog kit, but as Sod's Law would have it, it is a bubble canopy...

JR

• Like 1

I'm currently struggling with one of these so I know exactly what you mean about it looking good on the sprue but not going together well.

I hope that mine looks half as good as your one does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Very nice model, and makes me wonder why Airfix didn't tool theirs to do both, like their 1/24 Scale kit, odd⁉

Hi Gerrard,

Thanks for commenting. I would have liked to see the Excellent Airfix Typhoons with a car door option or even as a retooled issue. The Brengun kit comes with enough spare parts to build either version.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beard said:

I'm currently struggling with one of these so I know exactly what you mean about it looking good on the sprue but not going together well.

I hope that mine looks half as good as your one does.

Hi Simon,

I am sure yours will be at least as good as mine. I have admired your recent Spitfire builds, which were excellent.

My advise is persevere. Plenty of test fitting saves the day with this kit but only pure bloodymindedness  got that canopy in place! It just does not want to fit. Mine was attached at the front and filled around the back to hold it in position. 

I look forward to seeing yours in due course.

Cheers

Greg ^_^

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I look forward to seeing yours in due course.

Mine's a 'test' build, before I attempt the other two I have in the stash, so no chance of me putting photographs on here.

• Like 1

Cracking Typhoon, this kit is finished a relative rare sight, that has maybe something to do with the fit of it.

Like the 190, the neat build and the clean paint job turned it into a real stunner.

Well done mate !

:mike:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Cracking Typhoon, this kit is finished a relative rare sight, that has maybe something to do with the fit of it.

Like the 190, the neat build and the clean paint job turned it into a real stunner.

Well done mate !

:mike:

Thank you Bernd 😉

Got it finished in the end mate!

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice result on a notorious kit Greg - good job :) 

Thanks Ced,

It was one of the more challenging kits I have tackled of late.

Cheers

Greg

Not sure I like what I hear about this kit just now, I've a couple in stock, but if I can get them to turn out like this one I'll be happy, I reckon you've done good with it Greg, but, don't you hate it when one of those comes along, maybe its the photo/monitor thing but your yellow looks a bit too lemony, the RAF ID yellow was quite a deep yellow, almost tending toward a golden yellow. Humbrol #24 Trainer Yellow or equivalent is the usual recommendation. My only nit pick with this build though. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

That's really a very nice Typhoon Greg :thumbsup2: 

Lovely finish and paint work, looks menacing and powerful like the real thing.

I would not have liked to be on the wrong end of one of those.

Your tenacity has paid off, one to be proud of in the display cabinet.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Great model!  Your hard work has paid off.

I too am a "car door" fan, preferring it to the bubble canopy type.

A number of times I thought about buying the Brengun kit online, but it seemed a little pricey (definitely no stockists of Brengun kits among hobby shops in my area).

Good to see your car door build in this forum.

:thanks:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Not sure I like what I hear about this kit just now, I've a couple in stock, but if I can get them to turn out like this one I'll be happy, I reckon you've done good with it Greg, but, don't you hate it when one of those comes along, maybe its the photo/monitor thing but your yellow looks a bit too lemony, the RAF ID yellow was quite a deep yellow, almost tending toward a golden yellow. Humbrol #24 Trainer Yellow or equivalent is the usual recommendation. My only nit pick with this build though. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts on my Typhoon. The yellow paint I have is Revell acrylic, and its quite gloopy despite thinning it out. I will get some Humbrol and give it a shot. 

The Brengun kit will build with care and plenty of test fitting. I think it looks the part.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's really a very nice Typhoon Greg :thumbsup2: 

Lovely finish and paint work, looks menacing and powerful like the real thing.

I would not have liked to be on the wrong end of one of those.

Your tenacity has paid off, one to be proud of in the display cabinet.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind comments. I have also liked the weighty appearance of the Typhoons, and this one captures the look well. 

All the best

Greg ;)

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Great model!  Your hard work has paid off.

I too am a "car door" fan, preferring it to the bubble canopy type.

A number of times I thought about buying the Brengun kit online, but it seemed a little pricey (definitely no stockists of Brengun kits among hobby shops in my area).

Good to see your car door build in this forum.

:thanks:

Hi Kaplan, 

There's lots of extras in this kit - canopies, tail and tailplanes, rockets, seat armour, bomb mounts, six decal options, and a small PE fret with seatbelts and foot step. All in all I could have modelled a later or earlier Mark Typhoons from what was in the box. All told the price wasn't too bad considering.

It is a handful to build mind!

Cheers 

Greg

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Good job, Greg! It's a tough kit to build, mainly because of the poor canopy, in my opinion.

Thank you Procopius!

I totally agree. It was a real pain getting past all the other obstacles to find that nasty surprise at the end.

Cheers

Greg