Airfix P-51D Mustang 1/72nd - 55th FG

RFI virgin signing in ....

So here is my 1st model kit in 35+ years, a kit of many 1st's including - using an airbrush, acrylic paints , gloss coating between 'layers', weathering , home made decals.

I chose the Airfix P-51D as my re introduction since it is a quite easy kit to build and it is NMF - the Airfix B-17G is my current stash, I thought a some practise with metal colors was needed, following a little research I also decided  that I would build these with a theme - WW2 US 8th / 9th Airforce Essex based squadrons ( Theme topic I started beginning of the April ) 

Kit: Airfix P-51D Mustang

Scale: 1/72nd

Main Colour Paints:  Vallejo Gloss Black Primer , Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium , Dark Aluminum, Dull Aluminum, Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab, XF-3 Yellow, XF-5 Green.

Finish: Vallejo Satin Varnish

Build : OOB

Changes: Homemade decals

Following my theme and as a challenge I chose the 55th Fighter Group who arrived at RAF Wormingford early April 1944 with P-38 Lightnings converting to P-51D Mustangs in July 1944. The Fighting 55th were identifiable by their green-yellow-green spinners and green and yellow checkerboard behind the prop. Since I was going to keep this model OOB ... I was going to hand paint this!! 

Subject :  343rd Fighter Squadron P-51D 44-14312 CY-N "Sonny Boy"  (This plane was re-designated CY - T a few weeks later) 

Pilot: Lt. Ted E Hoffman

Enough waffle time for the truth !!

BLG5v38.jpg

VgxhV1D.jpg

f6IEE7v.jpg

• Like 28

Very nice result for such a long break especially if considering a difficult metal finish. Wonder how one can survive 35 years without modelling?

Cheers,

Mario

That's a great Mustang – almost thought it was 1:48th before re-checking the title!

Guess modelling is like riding a bike – once you've learnt how, it's difficult to unlearn, even after many years… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim