Air Defense and Its Evaluation (Project Re-starts on Page 4)

EDIT - This build re-starts on Page 4 of this thread with an Airfix/Italeri 'combo' instead of just moving the wing on the Italeri kit in order to find a better B-57 shape.

A dear family friend served as the Maintenance Supervisor with the 4677th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron, which flew the B-57 Canberra, and I've decided that it was high time I built him one. The 4677th's Canberras acted as targets to train and evaluate USAF air defense squadrons, and were full of electronic gear designed to make them more difficult to intercept. It's with a bit of trepidation that I begin a Canberra build now, just as @Navy Bird has completed his beautiful PR.9, and the @canberra kid having just started an RB-57. But "strike while the iron is hot", as the saying goes.

I'll be using the 1/72 Italeri kit in my attempt at an EB-57B as the "evaluator":

And I think I'll build the 1/72 Hasegawa F-106 alongside as the "evaluated":

The Canberra Kid has shown that the Italeri kit has some inaccuracies, the main ones being: the wing is a bit too far back on the fuselage, and the rear fuselage is too deep. I'm planning on addressing the wing placement, but I think I'll have to let the rear fuselage problem go, it would require splicing in the rear fuselage of the Airfix kit in order to fix - which is exactly what the Canberra Kid is doing on his RB-57 build linked above. I recommend that you check it out - fascinating stuff.

Comparing the dimensions found in this drawing on the Canberra SIG to the Italeri fuselage, it looks like the wing leading edge needs to be moved up about 1/8" in 1/72 in order to match up (I measured from the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, since the drawing is of an 'A' model, and I don't think the nose is the same length as the 'B').

The (out of focus) Italeri fuselage:

The section containing the wing root removed:

[photo lost in Photobucket transfer]

The offending portion removed:

Plasticard backing added to the inside of the fuselage:

The section reattached the requisite 1/8" further forward:

Comparison with the unmodified side:

I think it was worth it, but your mileage may vary!

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 26

Bold strokes Cooke, bold strokes that have me hooked already on this fascinating project. I've a Dart tucked away in the stash so interested to see how the Hasegawa pans out as well.

Best o' luck on this!

Tony

• Like 1

Off to a good start @Cookenbacher, I must say I don't think I'd thought of that fix, but it's a good one, although as you say it doesn't address the rear fuselage problem. but I'm sure it will make for a better looking B.57 in the end. As for the position, the A model and B  were the same length.

John 

Edited by canberra kid
added name link
  • Like 1

Hi Cookie,

others have said it already: you did not give us time to settle down. Straight into heavy surgery!!!! What next?

Indeed a clever way to move a wing... Not that I would perform this type of stunt if left to my own device!

Looking forward to the follow up!

JR

• Like 1

Well, I guess if you had messed it up you could quietly bin it and buy another one...

Nice surgery! I don't know if you would be tempted to drill a couple of holes in the wing roots so you could put a piece of sprue across as a wing spar? I would be worried about it cracking during the build, but maybe you aren't as clumsy as me!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks for coming along for the ride everybody - we'll see if I've bitten off more than I can chew.

On 4/18/2017 at 0:23 AM, TheBaron said:

Bold strokes Cooke, bold strokes that have me hooked already on this fascinating project. I've a Dart tucked away in the stash so interested to see how the Hasegawa pans out as well.

Cheers Tony, I've heard that the Hasegawa F-106 is decently accurate in shape and is not a difficult build - we'll soon find out. It does have raised panel lines, and I think these two kits will be my first attempt(s) at full re-scribes (see above about bite size and chewing ability).

On 4/19/2017 at 6:59 AM, Gene K said:

Awesome start, Cookie. My thread seat belt is fastened.

Gene, I have to ask if you ever ran into any of these 'target' B-57's in your day?

On 4/22/2017 at 9:57 AM, canberra kid said:

Off to a good start @Cookenbacher, I must say I don't think I'd thought of that fix, but it's a good one, although as you say it doesn't address the rear fuselage problem. but I'm sure it will make for a better looking B.57 in the end. As for the position, the A model and B  were the same length.

Thanks John, good to know about the fuselage lengths - the tandem cockpit provides a bit of an optical illusion I guess. I'm really glad that you're here, as now I can ask you lots of questions without clogging up your excellent thread.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:44 AM, AdrianMF said:

Well, I guess if you had messed it up you could quietly bin it and buy another one...

Nice surgery! I don't know if you would be tempted to drill a couple of holes in the wing roots so you could put a piece of sprue across as a wing spar? I would be worried about it cracking during the build, but maybe you aren't as clumsy as me!

It was really a matter of over enthusiasm on my part - but I'm glad I got one wing root done in a fit of zeal anyway. Note that I haven't started the second one yet.

Good call Adrian, I'm definitely thinking of a reinforcement sprue or two - one above the other as the 'patch' will want to fail out and down from the weight of the wings during construction, but then out and up when set on its landing gear, so best to prepare for both eventualities - I hope.

I began re-scribing the B-57 with the bottom wing halves, figuring that part would be hidden from view and I could sort out a workable scribing process. I experimented with thick vinyl tape and regular masking tape as a guide, but ended up with some pretty wavy lines! I switched over to a couple different thicknesses of plasticard as straight edges and things went much better.

Of course, I got quite a bit done before re-reading Canberra Kid's RB-57 thread and noticing this excellent guide that he provided. So, it really was a practice run! I'll sand it again, and try to match his as best I can.

Below are the tools I've come to settle on.

The UMM-USA scriber is very nice for curved surfaces, but the main tool is the INCIDO - a sewing machine needle in a pin vise - thanks to @Fritag and @giemme. It works great with the plastic strip as a guide. ANY and ALL scribing pointers are welcome and wholeheartedly appreciated.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That re-scribing looks very tidy indeed Cookie, well done, I'm not sure how much that could be improved upon B)

Quite agree. If I could get to that quality of line on a regular basis I'd be happy.

Like yourself I've one of the umm-usa scribers but have never really warmed to it as a tool. I'm going to suborn that plasticard/pin vice/ sewing machine needle combination next time I have to plough the plastic. Nice tip Cookie!

Tony

• Like 3

"Thanks John, good to know about the fuselage lengths - the tandem cockpit provides a bit of an optical illusion I guess. I'm really glad that you're here, as now I can ask you lots of questions without clogging up your excellent thread."

No problems @Cookenbacher I'm on standby, ready to help if you need any! Good work so far on the engraving. One thing I's like to say regards replacing the rear fuselage with the the Airfix one, I don't think that would do the trick, the problems with the Italeri fuselage starts just after the bomb bay, the only way I can see is to do what I'm doing with mine.

John 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I totally agree with Stew, Cookie! Excellent rescribing :clap::clap:

Me too (or is that three?)  Lovely, neat and not too heavy lines...:clap:

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

ANY and ALL scribing pointers are welcome and wholeheartedly appreciated.

I don't think you need any pointers Cookie.  But for wot its worth:

A sewing machine needle is my favourite tool for scribing as it's so controllable and versatile.  I like the way you can start off with a pass or two using just very faint pressure, to establish the line and reduce the risk of dislodging the scribing guide, and only then then deepen the line using more pressure with either the sewing machine needle or one of the commercial scribers.  Doing it this way I've found I can use even thin vinyl tape as a guide if I need to (e.g on curved lines).

I've found that Airfix plastic is quite soft and good for scribing.  Although I usually have to rub down the line with a fine sanding stick to remove the slight raised burr either side of the scribed line - and I usually finish off by brushing along the line very lightly with liquid cement with leaves everything nice and crisp.

But I 'spect this is all pretty trite stuff :)

PS.  I also really like the RB 'Scribe-R Angled' angled scribers; one straight edge and one angled - useful for scribing flap/aileron hinge lines.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

On 4/22/2017 at 7:41 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Gene, I have to ask if you ever ran into any of these 'target' B-57's in your day?

No, Cookie, nor did I "encounter" any T-33s with the radar reflector and chaff pods. In that regard, many eons ago I talked with Mark of WolfPak Decals about issuing the pods in 1/72, but they never materialized. What's your plan on the pods?

Gene K

EDIT: Now you've got me looking through old references, like in this thread. Great to have canberra kid "standing by".

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1