Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
azureglo

Rumours of my death were greatly exaggerated.

28 posts in this topic

Some of you may have noticed that I have been absent since last July, I know I have. Well folks I’m back, having lost several stone but still in alive. Had a nasty health scare that laid me out for nearly nine  months with puzzled white suited men and women prodding me and scanning me.

Without boring you all, while it seems that the human brain is a funny thing, mine apparently was a whole stand-up comedy night. Still I’m back and regaining co-ordination. And to help this I’ve decided to start modelling again, hence new man cave.

I’m also newly single as significant other wasn’t too keen on an ageing 40-something with health issues and preferred a younger model. Seems notions like loyalty and fidelity are rather quaint anachronisms in this day and age of third wave feminism.

Fear not, Azureglo has his trusty Telecaster in one hand and his H&S Infinity in the other and will sally forth, undeterred, mangling both styrene and the songs of Muddy Waters with equal ineptitude. And seeing as I've moved yet again, I've christened a new man cave and am slowly beginning to fill it with clutter. Note to Mike, I put in a guitar as I know that makes you happy.

mancave1.jpg

mancave3.jpg

Found this, my last build and may get completed if I can find the rest of it.

mancave2.jpg

Peace out, A

19 people like this

Hi

Welcome back hope your recovery is quick and I like the new man cave  looks good buddy 

May I ask where you got the lamps from ??

D:penguin:

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Hi

Welcome back hope your recovery is quick and I like the new man cave  looks good buddy 

May I ask where you got the lamps from ??

D:penguin:

Thanks D, the lamps are Ikea Issue though they are now white and bulbs are these: 20w for the workstation & 55w for the booth.

A

1 person likes this

Great to see you back and good health!

John.

1 person likes this

Well done faking the dizzy turns to give the burd the elbow. So much cheaper than legal action.
Get out the Fender and give us my favourite blues song "I woke up this morning.....oh good"
That's enough - get kit bashing, you know how impressed unnattached females are with an ability to make fuselage joint-lines invisible.

9 people like this

43 minutes ago, azureglo said:

having lost several stone but still in alive. Had a nasty health scare that laid me out for nearly nine  months with puzzled white suited men and women prodding me and scanning me.

The first male pregnancy!  I knew it! :hmmm::blink:

I hope Brian has recovered from the trauma, and will keep your ears from collapsing in on eachother for a good few years yet.  :welcome: back, and remember to plug that hose off the spray booth into a window, as you'll melt the rest of your intellect away if you don't :zombie:

2 people like this

Welcome back to Mike's playpen :D

Hope to see the result of some of your plastic whittling soon.

Trevor

1 person likes this

That looks like some stash of Klear on the bench.

Just now, Darby said:

That looks like some stash of Klear on the bench.

Yours for a full functioning kidney.

A

2 people like this

Just now, azureglo said:

Yours for a full functioning kidney.

A

You wouldn't want mine. Pickled in tea and coated in enough tannin to stop an '88.

How is the road to recovery these days. I'm still following your advice from about 12mnths ago regarding airbrushing enamels and having rather satisfying results. Cheers,

All the best

Darbs

1 person likes this

Glad to see you back.

As for the other half if she was not prepared to stick with you when you were ill, better off without her.

4 people like this

I am glad you are back. And, having been off for more than a year with my own health problems, I really do feel your pain. On the bright side, me beginning modeling again has helped my attitude, helped regain coordination, and generally been one of the better decisions I have made recently. I like your modeling room. I wish mine was as organized. Now clutter it up with heaps of plastics kits that need to be bashed together!

2 people like this

Welcome back, nice studio and Muddy Waters...Can't be bad.

1 person likes this

Good to hear you're ok Matey.

Chris.

1 person likes this

Chicks eh. Can't live with 'em, can't take 'em out and shoot 'em.

As an aging and sometimes ailing single bloke, I feel your pain. Best wishes for the recoveries, health and heart.

3 people like this

Wow, sorry to hear about all your bad news, but glad you'll be gracing us with your modelling again!

1 person likes this

Welcome back. I hope your recovery continues. 

Very nice Mancave :thumbsup2: 

From one also with (very) odd health things going on; you have it all sewn up correctly - modelling and music: absolutely the best medicines :).

Tea, films and good books are also excellent tonics. Good grub too.

Is that a rather attractive MiG 15 on the bench?

All the best

TonyT

Edit: Just spotted the link to the MiG UTI. Hope you find the rest of it,  it's looking good :).

1 person likes this

Welcome back. You were missed, honestly.

It is a mig, in the first shot I thought it was cake on a plate!

Looking forward to more of your entries on here.

Pete

Welcome back :) I hope the workbench doesn't stay that tidy for too long ;)

Thank you all for the kind words (except for Mike, and I honestly expected much more abuse so got off lightly!). Its good to be back and its got me thinking about my 400 kit stash, boxes of modelling equipment etc. I'm thinking of a much simpler easier and clutter free way to model. I look at my boxes of tools etc and ask how much will I actually use? Its time for the old 80/20 rule methinks. Nearly dying does stuff like that to ya, today I went for walk in a field of bluebells. Dont ask me why, it seemed like a good idea and amazingly enough it was inspiring. I'd like to get that from making the odd nice model and not getting carried away building stashes etc., just simple pleasure, for my now simplified brain.

The girlfriend business was actually quite liberating, its strange how one can absolutely love someone but actually dislike virtually everything about them! That said it was hoot and I'm glad I fell in love at ;least once in my life, and not to a guitar or an airplane either!

I'm travelling up to Modelkraft this weekend so may bump into some of you in the flesh.

A

4 people like this

Sell your kits by all means, never the tools, you regret that. Harder and more expensive to replace.

1 person likes this

I'm another that'll add to the good wishes on your recovery and  pleased that your ex has shown her true colours now rather than later. When one goes and you're not looking for a replacement, that's when the perfect partner will appear. In the meantime, at least you can do whatever the hell you want so enjoy!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

The girlfriend business was actually quite liberating, its strange how one can absolutely love someone but actually dislike virtually everything about them! That said it was hoot and I'm glad I fell in love at ;least once in my life, and not to a guitar or an airplane either!

I'm travelling up to Modelkraft this weekend so may bump into some of you in the flesh.

A

Ever seen this Anil ?

Why do men fall in love more than women? And when women do fall in love, why is it that they become addicted to the feeling more easily? Why do people invariably find the person who they fall in love with attractive? Why is it that lovers write poetry and sing love songs? How can we explain romantic conventions like men giving gifts to women? And why can passionate love never last? Remarkably, all of these questions can be answered – and many more – if we accept a simple, somewhat startling, premise: Love is a mental illness.

Since the dawn of civilisation, poets have described love as a kind of madness – and historically, the medical profession has endorsed a similar view. According to the principles of Hippocratic medicine passionate love almost invariably turns into ‘love melancholy’ - a form of depression. Moreover, anybody who has experienced falling in love, will know something of love’s madness- an emotional roller coaster that seems to carry the occupant between the two extremes of heaven and hell.

The symptoms of love are many and varied. What’s intriguing is that if we list them- for example, preoccupation with the loved one, tearfulness, euphoria- and check them against accepted diagnostic criteria for mental illness, we find that most ‘lovers’ qualify for diagnoses of obsessional illness, depression or manic depression. And this is no superficial relationship. Neurochemical and brain scanning investigations have shown a considerable overlap between ‘the brain in love’ and ‘the brain in the throes of mental illness’. Why should this be? Why is love experienced as a kind of madness?

Human babies, born uniquely weak and vulnerable, require a massive amount of care and attention from two committed parents. Unlike other animals, our big brains allow us to rebel against, or foil, our reproductive instincts, and avoid the hard work of raising kids. We can, for example, decide to be celibate – or use contraception. Yet we don’t. People keep on having children - and they are usually two people who say they are in love.

It is revealing that most people only experience being madly in love for about two years. This duration corresponds exactly with the time it would have taken our ancestors to produce and wean one child. Thus, love’s madness lasts just long enough to ensure the survival of genes from one generation to the next!

All kinds of human behaviour suddenly begin to make sense when looked at in this way. A woman who stays with a thoroughly unsuitable man- because love’s spell makes her feel it is impossible to leave him. The man who spends his life a confirmed bachelor and then falls suddenly and desperately head over heels in love. The devoted husband whose marriage is suddenly threatened by the seven-year itch. Every one of these people is suffering from a temporary mental illness, designed to ensure their genes are safely passed on to the next generation.

The proposition that love is a mental illness is simple, straightforward, and illuminating. Moreover, it has never been given serious consideration in modern times. It can reveal much about why men and women behave the way they do. And it provides a truly startling and unexpected answer to the much vexed question: What is love?

from, with the first chapter as well

http://www.franktallis.com/lovesick.htm

It's an interesting book BTW.... I picked up a copy really cheap when I was 'suffering' with the problem.

And, as Julien says

don't sell your tools,  stick them in a box, but if you don't need the space or cash then just store them.  

I have interesting 'discussions' with my partner about the difference between 'hoarding'  and 'collecting'...

cheers

T

2 people like this

Glad you're back, Anil, and I trust the recovery continues apace.

And whilst I'm sure it wasn't fun when it was happening, the change in relationship status sounds like it's a good thing. Revel in the freedom.

With regard to your stash, please consider putting the bulk of it in storage for six months to a year? Regret over selling things would be a shame.

1 person likes this