An old FROG Shark from 1975. Went against the grain a little and decided to put some stuff on and in it as an 'anti invasion' fitment. I read somewhere that plans were made to fit out a few aircraft of various types for this as a last resort measure.

Stuffed some bits in the cockpit and aft positions to make it look a bit busy. The black thing on the bulkhead is a 'crude radio.' Yes, I know they weren't there normally, and the aft gun is obviously not a Lewis. Engine was an old Gladiator one which looked a bit more mechanical than the kit part. Seats are just basic interpretations of what I could see on the interweb with the pilot seat from a Sea Hornet. Fuselage rubbed down and a few panel lines rescribed but have disappeared under primer and paint. Rigging was done with very thin wire and the aerial from EZ line. I think my rudder control cables are a little high on the fuselage. Left of the stbd. generator and arrestor hook. Bombs from a Swordfish.

Decals went on without any major problems but I still can't get used to seeing the words Royal Navy on a paint scheme like this. Anyway, here it, lumps, bumps and crudities. Just realised a rigging wire has gone astray from the port side as I was uploading. Oh well, at least my fingers haven't been too bad of late so I can do another one; tomorrow though.

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

And here's a picture of a cardboard box in factory finish and secondly after heavy weathering ready for recycling tomorrow.

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

• Like 49

DAAARRRBBYYY, you didn't trash the box did you? Sacrilege.

I always cut the top & bottom out & keep for my kids to dispose of when I snuff it. :)

Your Shark looks good BTW. :)

Steve.

PS, I've long wanted a Frog Shark box to go with the Eastern Express boxing I have, hence my pain. ;)

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 4

That looks super Darby :thumbsup2: 

I've not seen it with the trainer scheme before, very different :).

I sadly don't think we'll see another manufacturer doing a new tool Shark, but whilever we can get inspiration from a well made and improved FROG like this, who cares!?

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

A terrific looking Shark and an unusual scheme.  Mine ended up much like your box did as I had real trouble with the struts, although I think it was mainly my own fault.  All that's left are the wings which I use for paint tests.  With British between the Wars kits a little thin on the ground I might have to give this one another go, based on what you've achieved with your build. 

Edited by Meatbox8
correcting a typo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JamesP said:

You seemed to have fared well with the struts which I believe are known timber troublesome 

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Excellent result.  Mine always goes back into the stash when I look at the curly struts.  Were yours not as bad or did you replace them?

Thanks for all the kindly words gents

The struts were straight except one which was slightly out of kilter but easily straightened. They are very clunky and I tried thinning them down but the worst part of them is the ends which are very thick. There were a few distance twixt wings/struts issues so a little filler here and there at the ends tidied them up a bit but not by much. Apart from that it went together better than expected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darby said:

The struts were straight except one which was slightly out of kilter but easily straightened. They are very clunky and I tried thinning them down but the worst part of them is the ends which are very thick.

Thanks for answer.  But then the Shark was a very clunky aircraft.  As I understand it (ie have read somewhere), with the Shark coming at the end of the biplane era, the hefty struts provided the structural strength with very little need for rigging.

• Like 1

Lovely build, you've done a fine job on a classic kit.

As has already been mentioned, I too think it's unlikely we'll ever see a modern upto date kit of this aircraft purely because it's little known type, nut personally I'd love to see one, together with a Fairey III family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I don't know about the enemy,

but, By God, Sir, it frightens me!

Nice one, Darby.

The struts frightened me at times.

46 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Lovely build, you've done a fine job on a classic kit.

As has already been mentioned, I too think it's unlikely we'll ever see a modern upto date kit of this aircraft purely because it's little known type, nut personally I'd love to see one, together with a Fairey III family.

Would be nice to see some new inter war FAA. We can but wish.. 

I'm actually thinking of getting another FROG kit. Not one with multiple struts though. I think I got more satisfaction from this build than a shake and bake.

Once again many thanks to all.

• Like 2

Tinkety tonk old fruit, she is a right cracker. I have one sat in my started but not progressing pile, I do like the silver 820 (old squadrons :D) scheme though.

Nice work!

Bob

PS, cant believe you ditched a perfectly good top opening box, perfect for transferring your Revell kits to!