Cessna O-2A “Oscar Deuce” – 1:48 (Testors/Italeri)

Hi all,

following my previous articles about Vietnam era helicopters, this is time for a fixed-wing!

In late ‘60s USAF introduced twin-powered Cessna O-2A to replace single engine Cessna O-1 (my next project).

Testors/Italeri kit is acceptable but almost basic. It needed a lot of improvements that they absorbed me for 6 months and 293 hours of real work.

Cockpit with avionics rack and rear junction box is fully self-made (... except for cloches).

Continental IO-360 engine is coming by 2 sets of edited Lycoming taken from old Esci Cessna 172 kits to set up a 6 pistons propeller.

Firewall bulkhead and front gear bay and plates are made by styrene. Rivets and panels were rescribed for the whole aircraft.

Pilot is freely inspired by actor Danny Glover who played the role of Capt. Clark ‘Bird Dog’ in BAT21 movie.

The real aircraft is now preserved at National Museum of USAF, Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio.

WiP is here below....

Cheers, Alessandro

Rome, Italy

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

wip1.jpeg

wip2.jpeg

wip3.jpeg

:bye:

Edited by _frequentflyer_
  • Like 46

I think it's my favourite model of the month , it has everything that makes a gold class model 😊 really well made, unusual subject, nice base, and historical educational as well, and a nod to a classic film 🎥, at shows that will get medals 🎥 🎬 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

I think it's my favourite model of the month , it has everything that makes a gold class model 😊 really well made, unusual subject, nice base, and historical educational as well, and a nod to a classic film 🎥, at shows that will get medals 🎥 🎬 😊

Thank you soooo much! All of you of course!

Alex

• Like 1

Love it, takes me back to to watching Gene Hackman and Danny Glover in "BAT21". 

Lovely scratch building and a stunning paint finish and diorama.

Eng

• Like 1

Wonderful O-2A and nice presentation. The work you have invested into this build paid off without doubt. Had also the Bat21 movie in my mind when I planned my Arii 1/72 Oscar Deuce!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

Having attempted this kit in the past, I can fully appreciate the massive amount of work that has gone into this build - FANTASTIC !. As others have said, truly skilful modelling rather than kit assembling for which you should be very proud.

Well Done, Sir !

Mi scusi.....Ottimo e complimenti !!

• Like 1