Airfix Mustang IV

Hi

A few months ago I bought a few of the new Airfix starter set kits as a method of kick starting my modelling mojo which has only rarely surfaced in the last few years. 

Emboldened by my recentish AZ Spitfire 16 and Airfix I, I started a twin build of the Mustang and Me109e. The 'Stang is now done and the 109 is not far behind. I have the Fw190 to do and I have now cut sprue on the Defiant. Add to this a 1/48 Hurricane I which is now painted up and ready to do as a Finnish example, you could say that Airfix have now got me back in the groove!

Herewith the Mustang IV for your consideration. Upper surfaces were rattlecanned with Humbrol aerosols and underneath with the potlet of acrylic. Masking was courtesy of Tamiya Tape and is the first time I've done that. Fairly pleased with the result and it gave me confidence to do the same on the Hurricane.

Out of the box except masking tape seat belts. 

A couple of caveats. Firstly the starboard eye fell off despite lashings of Decalfix and there is no aerial, as the kit provided an 'orrible blob.

Enough words, here are the pix.......

9C795B60-02CA-41BE-A435-C7E1C7324C87_zps

A5CD4A82-4F11-4972-BD8C-D47008905E4C_zps

Compulsory shot of Allie's nose

7EF985F2-765D-4A5E-86D5-64D0F0972AC7_zps

Maybe a bit of 'orange peel' effect with the rattle can matt varnish but I'll have to live with it 😬

D1B48421-4480-4ADD-9173-96320FB3F1E0_zps

Hope you like it.

Trevor (and Allie)

• Like 22

Thanks Rick! It's a great model to put together, just remember those tight tolerances. I now tend to build cockpit sub assemblies or whatever 'au naturale' and paint them afterwards. The completed wing sub assembly is a tight fit. I test fitted it, couldn't get it out, so ran some Tamiya Extra thin to keep it there.

Trevor 

• Like 1

That's a very nice Mustang Trevor :thumbsup2: 

Very nice camouflage and Matt finish. 

Did you paint in the yellow l/e stripes? They're very tidy indeed.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Tony E, you may be right. I thought hat I had stared at the instructions long enough!

Tony T, yup masked off and painted. I didn't even notice the kit option until afterwards:huh:

Trevor

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...