Air travel in Korea 1930 - 1950--what types were used?

28ZComeback

Between 1930-1950 air travel in Korea is largely undocumented.  A few references cite the use of a Beech Staggerwing by a Japanese company; others cite use of a Stinson tri-motor.  I do have a color photo of a Stinson 108 in civilian colors. A good friend of mine, in 1995, told me that he had a photo of a Mitsubishi "Nell" in civilian use c. 1945, which he liberated from a File in a Japanese air base in 1945 but sadly cannot locate.  I do understand that Japanese airlines had several regular routes to Korea utilizing civilian Ki-57's and Ki-54 as well as some Lodestars.  Can anyone comment on air travel of any kind in Korea during these years?   Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The Manchuria Aviation Compan, or Manchukuo National Airways was the 'civil' (only nominally) airline operated over Manchuria and Korea in the 30s. As to specific types operated ans specific times, well, good luck...

Also look for Japan Air Transport- the national line for Japan in the earlier 30s before Imperial Japanese Airlines came along in 1938.

Logic would dictate that the Japan Air DC-2s which followed through routes from Japan to Manchuria must have been in Korea along the way! 

Will

Edited by Killingholme

For details of Manchurian aviation look no further than the superb Arawasi publication 'The Eagles of Manchukuo 1932-1945' (2009 - ISBN 978-4-9904647-1-4) by George Eleftheriou and Kiri Domoto-Eleftheriou which thoroughly covers the civil and military aviation in a most attractive and modeller-useful presentation.

For everything else, including Japan and Korea look for Putnams 'Airlines of Asia since 1920' by R E G Davies (1997 - ISBN 1-888962-02-X), published in the USA by Paladwr Press. This covers histories, aircraft types operated and routes.

The amount of detail in both books is beyond adequate précis in a forum posting but the first Korean National Airlines (KNA) operated three Stinson Voyagers from 1949, replaced by the C-47/DC-3 in April 1950. The Korean War interrupted things until after the armistice when KNA also began operating a single DC-4.

Nick

• 5 months later...