Avro Vulcan B.1

I looked at a few B.1s and decided to use the markings of XA897 of 230 Operational Conversion Unit circa 1956 at RAF Waddington, which was painted silver.

Hi Ratch,

Nice to see a Vulcan B1 in natural metal finish which I believe the early batches were delivered in. It makes a change from anti-flash white and camouflage finishes as their career progressed. If I may suggest a minor modification? The B1 wasn't fitted with TFR (Terrain Following Radar) which was fitted to the later B2's from the mid 1960's. That's the nipple thingy above the radome but a razor saw and filing sticks could demodify it. That doesn't detract form an otherwise excellent model of an iconic Cold War airyplane. Cheers mate:drink:

albamac:viking:.........(frustrated Norseman)

A great looking Vulcan and really nice to see one in HSS.   I've been tempted by the Flightpath set myself but haven't 'committed' yet.  How was it to use?  Any major things to look out for?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, albamac said:

Hi Ratch,

Nice to see a Vulcan B1 in natural metal finish which I believe the early batches were delivered in. It makes a change from anti-flash white and camouflage finishes as their career progressed. If I may suggest a minor modification? The B1 wasn't fitted with TFR (Terrain Following Radar) which was fitted to the later B2's from the mid 1960's. That's the nipple thingy above the radome but a razor saw and filing sticks could demodify it. That doesn't detract form an otherwise excellent model of an iconic Cold War airyplane. Cheers mate:drink:

albamac:viking:.........(frustrated Norseman)

Sorry, you've lost me. Where's the Radome on a Vulcan :S

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Vulcan and really nice to see one in HSS.   I've been tempted by the Flightpath set myself but haven't 'committed' yet.  How was it to use?  Any major things to look out for?  

I was daunted by it at first, but it wasn't so bad once I got stuck into it.  I'm no fan of etch but this wasn't so bad to use (though I must invest in a folding tool)

• Like 1

The radome is the area that you've correctly painted black and forms the lower half of the nose.  The radome for the TFR, which you've also painted black, is the small nipple on the extreme nose and does need to come off for any B. Mk. 1 or 1A.

The early jets were in High Speed Silver, not natural metal so exhibited very little, if any, tonal variation between panels.

Your poor little refueller would have a hell of a time filling a Vulcan: four of the bigger Leyland Hippo bowsers would be needed for that job, but each could service five Jet Provosts to "tanks full" from empty.