MiG-21R 1/48 Eduard Weekend Edition **Finished**

Jb65rams

Another Mig-21R. This will be Eduard's 1/48 Weekend Edition.

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2001_zpsa

No etch, but kit does include 'superfabric' seatbelts. Also using  BarracudaCast replacement radome, Eduard masks.

Like Dave_R I will also be doing the Cuban AF scheme. It was the scheme that drove me to this kit, More and more I am finding that it is the scheme that attracts my attention and is the my major driver in building a kit as opposed to the actual aircraft itself..

Edited by Jb65rams
title updated
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to making a start, working on a few of the smaller sub assemblies.

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2002_zpst

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2003_zpsa

Used AV Model Colour - emerald as the cockpit colour.  The upper cockpit sides were built using some scrap palsticard then decaled.

Seat belts were the 'superfabric' belts supplied with the kit. Think they are more built up from layers of ink rather than fabric, need a very sharp blade to lift the belts of the baking paper. Instructions suggest using a white glue to fix them, i used klear. In close up I think they look a little 2D

• Like 6

Thanks for kind words.

A little more progress to report, a smidge of filler required along the wing joints.

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2011_zpsb

Plan is to have it displayed with the cockpit open, so spent a morning masking and painting the canopies. Also assembled the Plus Models ladder. A lot of care was required to remove the parts from the runners without breaking them.

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2006_zpst

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2009_zpsg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Given we have just come off a long weekend, not a lot of progress to report. Spent a couple of hours masking, prepping for paint, only to discover I was out of primer, doh!

Need to wait until I am back at work so I can visit the Halfords near the office to pick up a couple of cans of their Halford Grey Plastic Primer. 

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2013_zpsd

• Like 2

On 01/06/2017 at 6:03 AM, Jb65rams said:

Given we have just come off a long weekend, not a lot of progress to report. Spent a couple of hours masking, prepping for paint, only to discover I was out of primer, doh!

Happens to all of us :huh:

On 22/05/2017 at 2:00 AM, Jb65rams said:

Cuban%20MiG-21R%20048%20Eduard%2011_zpsb

Don't you think it is about time to replace your spray booth filter :whistle:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found time to breakout the airbrush and blue tack.

First time I've used Mr Hobby Paints. Happy with how they sprayed although airbrush cleanup seem to take longer than my usually paint of choice, Vallejo Model Air.

Cuban MiG-21R 048 Eduard 14

Cuban MiG-21R 048 Eduard 15

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the day putting the finishing touches to this whilst watch Mr Froome and friends cycle up the Col d'Izoard.

Only problem I had was that the seat wouldn't fit the cockpit tub, took a sanding stick to the seat and quite severely reduced the seat width until it fitted. Finally got it to fit, although not sure the canopy would have fitted in the closed position.

Cuban MiG-21R 048 Eduard 21

Cuban MiG-21R 048 Eduard 23

Cuban MiG-21R 048 Eduard 25

Happy with my first foray in Russian jets, will be on the lookout for some more, tempted by an SU-7 or SU17/22.

• Like 7