Zvezda 1:72 Su-39 Frogfoot +++ FINISHED +++

Jasonb13

So, here's what the kit engines 'pods' look like:

207e8b32-1bc1-41fa-9674-3f07b7c71837.jpg

The front of them is on the right. Obviously, there's meant to be trunking running all the way from the front to the compressor blades which are move then halfway down the pod, past the 'wheel well', which shouldn't be visible at all when you look in the intake, but clearly are.

I'm building OOB so can't just run some spare plastic tubing back to the compressor blades to hide everything else. So I'll probably just smooth the inside as much as I can, maybe remove the pins/holes near the front of the intake completely, and try to get the rest of it as filled/sanded as I can, though the wheel well will still be visible.

I'll see how I get on once I get some time at the bench. Does anyone know of any good pictures of the rear of the pod, the exhaust section? I haven't been able to find a good one.

Thanks...

• Like 2

Out of the box deels to be very strickt for you. 😉

Ever thought of calculating the fan circumfence and cut a piece of paper, form a tube and fit it in the intake. Cut the paper to shape. And for stiffening you can use a film of superglue. Easy, cheap and there's your seamless intake...

• Like 1

Thanks for that page Peter, very handy! Unfortunately no pics of the exhausts on it though, they either have a cover on them or the engine is stripped out completely!

Yep, I could do a that 128fiddler, but then it's not OOB anymore, and as I hope to enter this into a Competition if it's good enough, I need it OOB. Of course, what will probably happen is that I'll stick to OOB rules, and then it won't be good enough to enter, and I could have used covers in the first place! ;)

• Like 2

On 02/07/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jasonb13 said:

... I need it OOB. Of course, what will probably happen is that I'll stick to OOB rules, and then it won't be good enough to enter, and I could have used covers in the first place! ;)

This is a bit of a dilemma. But if you like to build it strictly OOB, it is only colours you can play with. And seeing this picture here, it looks all in black to me.

Here a picture showing the engine colour of a Su-25.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter...

Yeah, I'm going with black for the exhaust section, and from what I can see the intake interior seems to be painted the same colour as the lower camo, so I'll go with that. It's a small enough opening anyhow.

Sorry I've no pics, haven't got near the bench, but hope to get some time there tomorrow evening so fingers crossed I'll have an update then...

Got a bit of work done on this last night, but was too tired to take pics or post here. So I took a couple of pics this morning...

I picked the wrong model to focus on getting the seams right, as every two pieces I glue together don't quite fit, so there's a lot of scrapping/sanding/filling/sanding going on! So, I suppose, I actually picked the perfect model to work on seams! :)

Anyhow, I have the wings together, though I need to sand the leading/trailing edges after putting some filler on them. I also have one of the engine pods assembled:

ddeba080-481f-4ce4-83cf-de26005e04fd.jpg

As can be seen above, and in the picture below, the engine pod needs a lot of work to at least reduce those seams/gaps!

d9254a80-9ce1-4597-a58a-a53ee1c544d0.jpg

And finally for now, here's how the fuselage looks, with the tail added...

9f558c38-8f40-43f4-9a3e-2c80bfb08401.jpg

Apart from my general lack of time at the bench, all this sanding/filling means this is going to be a slow build! Next step is the next engine pod, I might get to that this weekend sometime, we'll see...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates!

I'm actually getting a little done here and there, but after moving my photos from Photobucket to village.photos, I'm now having problems with that site and I currently can't log in. Which means I can't upload pics!

So you'll have to take my word for it that I have one engine nacelle attached to the fuselage, and the other one nearly ready. After some more sanding, then it'll be the turn of the wings.

I'll post up pics when I can get them working!

• Like 1

Thanks Dave...

No progress with the village.photos issue, if it goes on much longer I'll just have to move to another site.

As for the Frogfoot, I have both nacelles on now. Some further filling/sanding needed, and then it's the turn of the wings!

• Like 1

Thanks Peter!

Finally got village.photos sorted today, so here are a couple of pics for you...

Firstly, the fuselage all clamped up with the two nacelles in place (sorry, camera decided to focus on the clamps!)

a2afd22a-5208-4563-892e-d3a345f69f52.jpg

And secondly, the clamps are gone and there's been a bit more filling and sanding!

56dc7e1a-2471-4b9d-a696-9e0d58979261.jpg

With a bit of lick I might get the wings/tail planes on today as well. Then it'll be getting the canopy masked and on, and the pylons all on, before I'm ready for primer. I'm hoping it all doesn't look like a big mess of gaps and filler when the primer goes on!

• Like 1

Progress (slowly) continues! As of this evening, it's ready for the first coat of primer so I can see just how much more filling/sanding I need to do:

bf12e466-5b4f-48fe-a5fe-5b73e6d32175.jpg

2c3270fb-9f5e-4b5c-b57d-8b8e90ced00c.jpg

However, I don't actually have any primer yet! I'm waiting for some Black primer to arrive so I can try black basing. So while I'm waiting I think I'll move on to assembling all the ordinance, it's going to be busy under those wings! :)

• Like 3

I reckon it will Peter! Though I've already decided not to use the Vikhr missiles, I used them on an earlier build of a Ka-52, and I'll save time not painting/gluing 16 different missile tubes onto only two pylons! :)

This is super exciting, with the pylons on its looking deadly already, love it. Very neat build too, impressive canopy mask and I'd like to see the black base primer. What kind are you going to use? 

Edited by Valkyrie

Thanks! The canopy being so bad and thick has one advantage, the outlines of the windows on the canopy are also really thick, so they're easy to mask!

I'm going to be trying Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black for the primer, once it arrives.

Actually, I've just realised that there are only just over 4 weeks left in this GB, so there's every chance I won't get this finished, considering I'm waiting for the primer. I'll do my best to have the ordinance/undercarriage etc. done first, but I still have to prime/fix issues/re-prime and then do 3 or 4 colour camo on it! It's going to be a close call if I can make the 3rd September or not...

On 8/4/2017 at 6:22 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks! The canopy being so bad and thick has one advantage, the outlines of the windows on the canopy are also really thick, so they're easy to mask!

I'm going to be trying Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black for the primer, once it arrives.

Actually, I've just realised that there are only just over 4 weeks left in this GB, so there's every chance I won't get this finished, considering I'm waiting for the primer. I'll do my best to have the ordinance/undercarriage etc. done first, but I still have to prime/fix issues/re-prime and then do 3 or 4 colour camo on it! It's going to be a close call if I can make the 3rd September or not...

Yes the "things under the wings" stuff can be rather fiddly to build - one of the reasons I haven't ventured into building modern jets yet. But it looks you have it all under control :clap2:

Will you airbrush the Mr. Surfacer 1500 or using a rattle can? If airbrushing, it needs lots of thinning (70 to 80% thinner) or you will end up with a "sugar candy" effect. Best to try on an old model first.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I will be airbrushing it, and I got the thinner as well as I heard it needs to be thinned. 

I'm I'm only going with that primer so I can try black basing, and I don't really need to do that on the ordinance, so I should be able to get all that stuff primed and painted using my normal Halfords primer. So with luck it'll all be done and finished by the time the primer arrives for the airframe. We'll see!