Zvezda 1:72 Su-39 Frogfoot +++ FINISHED +++

Jasonb13

I agree, I'm quite happy with them. My only concern is that they lifted a bit with Tamiya tape, but I honestly don't know if that's the Akan paint, or the Mr. Colour Surfacer primer, or a mixture of both. And it didn't happen if I put a protective coat of Klear over the paint before masking, and de-tacked the tape a bit.

Got the oil wash done on the underside of the model last night, will get the rest of it done this evening, and hopefully get the matt coat done tomorrow evening.

20 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks Peter,

I followed your recommendation and bought a set of Akan paint for this build. It's says it's the 'water based' Acrylic, as opposed to their 'enamel based' Acrylic. I've thinned it with Mr. Colour Levelling Thinner which is quickly becoming my thinner of choice, and seems to work well wit the Akan paint, even though I think it's not really designed for water based paints.

Yes Mr. Colour Levelling Thinner works well with some acrylic paint, mainly the alcohol based one like Tamyia and Gunze. But good to hear that it works with Akan as well. I only used the lacquer version of the Akan paint as I found lacquer pain to be trouble free with the smell the only negative.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Got the panel wash done, I'm not sure about it, I think the colour is a little too brown (I'm still getting used to mixing my own colours for an oil wash) but it'll have to do. Here's how it looks now:

bab64b69-b83c-45a1-a4eb-75d803ef2ab2.jpg

8f01aaca-0f01-4a48-aca3-c291c51d72a4.jpg

Matt coat next (tomorrow hopefully), and then sticking all the bits on! 

• Like 2

I am not a great fan of black panel line washes. I like the contrast you achieved at the bottom, but it could be a bit more visible on the top. But I am sure the model will look great with all the weapons fitted.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter... The bottom wash is actually lighter than the top one, but stands out more due to the light blue paint. The top one is a bit more visible in person. I agree, Black washes aren't great, but I probably could have got a little darker still. I keep on thinking that I should go over the top half again with a darker wash, but I really don't have the time or energy to do it again, so I think I'll just make do and get the Matt coat done instead!

Thanks!

Got the matt coat done tonight. I have to say, I love spraying Winsor & Newton Matt Varnish, you just barely mist it on and it deadens the gloss. I left it a little satin, not too flat, but I like how it looks, it's brought the paint and wash together well.

Here's how it looks now, I've also stuck on a couple of pieces to start that process! :) Now if only I could stop knocking off the small pieces that block glare from the landing lights, I'll be rather happy...

cc5a134c-7924-4976-84eb-e0d43d9c6c08.jpg

1d61bbbc-03fb-4b2a-9b39-a00d75d5a00e.jpg

• Like 3

Bugger...

So, when I was putting an exhaust on the rear of the engine nacelle, the nacelle itself cracked along the seam. So I've just sanded it back and am getting ready for some careful and precise spraying! :angry:

Managed to get the crack fixed, but the paint touch-up is a little more obvious and hasn't blended in perfectly. Will do a little bit of weather to reduce the effect, at least it's on the underside of the nacelle!

• Like 1

Thanks! Got the undercarriage and some of the doors glued on last night. Also glued back on (again) one of the pieces that blocks the glare from the landing lights.

With luck tonight I'll get a few more bits stuck on. One of two little spots need a touch-up of paint too. Should have it finished and pics taken either tomorrow or Sunday! :) Though I've just noticed the one week extension, so I won't be cutting it quite as fine as I thought I would be!

Man... Finished the undercarriage and wheels, and then knocked over a bottle that fell on the model and broke them all off again, including one of those anti-glare panels (yet again). Managed to glue them all back on and stepped away from the bench. Really can't wait to get this finished and not have to deal with it any more, it's fought me a lot!

• Sad 2

Spoke too soon, my daughter decided to sleep this afternoon! :)

So, here it is all done. This definitely wasn't a shake and bake, every piece needed to be cleaned up and had problems fitting, and in the end it beat me into submission and it's not as 'smooth' a finished build as I'd like. That said, I also tried lots of new techniques, including free hand camo with an airbrush and black basing, and even just new paint (Akan etc.) so I was taking a lot on, and I'm actually pretty happy with the paint job. If it had been a Tamiya kit, it'd look a lot better (which is probably true of a lot of builds!).

Anyhow, I'm glad to have it finished, that's for sure, and it does look striking with the Naval scheme and all the ordinance hanging off it. Thanks for all your support doing the build, especially Valkyrie and Basilisk, who kept me going! Lots of pics below, and I'll put a couple in the Gallery as well...

c3f97031-3553-4645-8da7-a3163fbd1aca.jpg

fd2c05f3-2959-4012-9d31-205df50bfd60.jpg

7a7ae683-bb82-4023-b1f5-3e51a3f847a9.jpg

57d66d73-c741-4872-9226-8553e67d4d7b.jpg

8be16854-0f21-49c7-8a31-680a1c48ab62.jpg

28e4bcf8-491c-41bf-942b-7466a2ee951a.jpg

d0e05507-febd-461a-8c46-b3ad85ad2ec3.jpg

12e8af5e-f589-48bf-beaa-633c14cfc222.jpg

f07bfa51-db28-4abb-ba67-89ad55a6d120.jpg

16962ee5-e357-491e-9093-354f32d304f9.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/2/2017 at 9:10 AM, Jasonb13 said:

Man... Finished the undercarriage and wheels, and then knocked over a bottle that fell on the model and broke them all off again, including one of those anti-glare panels (yet again). Managed to glue them all back on and stepped away from the bench. Really can't wait to get this finished and not have to deal with it any more, it's fought me a lot!

Ouch - but great recovery!

Your model does indeed look striking and you should be very proud of this build. Sometimes kits which present some challenges are much more memorable and satisfying when finished than a shake and bake kit which just falls together.

Great outcome :clap2: Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

That's pretty mean looking. The front pose with the super detailed ordnance is pretty menacing. The panel line work the scheme I'd be well proud of this! And you pulled it off after all the difficulties. Super job, loved following this, well done 

• Like 1