My previous 1966 Morris Cooper S MK1

Hi everybody!
This is my first "Ready for inspection"

This is the Tamiya kit of the 1966 Morris Cooper S MK1. I wanted to build this because I built one from a wreck, and had it for 19 years. Of course, this had to be an exact copy. Well, as good as possible!

First; this is a picture of the original:
Copy%20of%20Main_1.jpg

Then, I do not have much pictures from the building process. At least I can give you this:
First%20picture.png

Here are some pictures of the model, as it is today. (I have not painted the logo on the trunk lid and the S on the bonnet, yet. I will try to make it with a fine pen. (Chicken!)
WP_20170417_08_22_45_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_22_35_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_22_57_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_23_09_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_23_30_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_25_39_Rich.jpg

You might wonder what the silver spot close to the right windshield wiper is? The fact is that I not know either! The original had a hole there. I guess it was a hole made for a radio antenna. Strange place to put it, but it was an easy place to get the cable into the car, compared to the normal frontwing. I knew about the hole, but I forgot (!) to weld it before the body was painted! Then I drove in all years with a silver blinding there! Then I had to paint it on my model too!

Other topics to be aware;
- The grill is not correct. This is the Austin grill. But the Morris grill is not included in the set!
- The rims are some kind of cosmic rims! I drove with the standard Cooper S rims; 3,5”. Later I “upgraded” to the optional 4,5, that looked similar and could have 165/70 rubber! The original rims had 145/10. No question about what I preferred; the old standard! And no one in the Norwegian Cooper Club were driving with 3,5” rims! Just me!
- The color is Surf Blue, on the 1:1 car. The color on the model should have been greener!

Besides this I am very satisfied!
Other Mini expert might also discover other small details, but those are differences that belong to standard and Cooper. My car started its life as a MK1 850 and was converted to a replica of Cooper S.

Below I have put the Mini into my “Picnic Dio”.

WP_20170417_08_09_12_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_12_42_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_08_10_24_Rich.jpg

The next difficult question is:
What is next? I have several kits in queue, but on the "next building wish-list" are Billing Boats "Osebergskipet" (the Viking ship), and the Pocher Lamborghini Aventador.

8-)

Edited by Major_Error
no text....?
  • Like 9

She looks great! I had a friend who owned a 1959 Austin Seven (as the Mini was called then), great little car. I think your guess at the silver hole being for the aerial is correct, but the windscreen wipers are the wrong way round!

Ian

• Like 1

On 19.4.2017 at 02:56, limeypilot said:

She looks great! I had a friend who owned a 1959 Austin Seven (as the Mini was called then), great little car. I think your guess at the silver hole being for the aerial is correct, but the windscreen wipers are the wrong way round!

Ian

WOW!

Oh no! You are right about the wipers!

How could I!!??? $@#%&§!

When you say it I can remember having a thought about the direction of the wipers, BUT that blew just out of my brain at that point 5 seconds after! I was not at my building table then, but at the tram, traveling home from work! I did never think of that later! Not even when I checked if the wiper engine was on the right or left side. (I could not remember... I sold my Mini in 2005). Of course the kit did only contain the attached wipers, but there would be an easy job to make some going the other way. I had a plan of making them black out on the "rubber holders", but I used both colors. I had some old "silver wipers" and replaced the rubber with some new. I had to be careful when doing this, I could have get some fatigue failure in the metal. So some times I just used the "modern" black.

I can remember the wiper engine was the same for RHD and LHD -wipers. It was not the modern wiper engine with "automatic parking" of the wiper. (I can remember my father told me the new Volvo he bought in 1972 had automatic parking of the wipers!)

Oh no... I looked so much at the pictures and did not discover the wipers! OK! Now I got a story for my failure!

May be I replace them. The holes are the same! 8-D

8-)