Ukrainian Su-24M with UPAZ refueling pod (?)

MiG-Mech

Hi guys,

I have a question for a future project.
Does the Ukraine have the UPAZ buddy-to-buddy refueling pod and is using it on their Su-24M ?
I have got the Trumpeter 1/72 Su-24M and the Armory UPAZ and 'd like to choose the ukrainian paint sheme.
I guess the -24 looks cool with big PTB-3000 and the pod instead of bombs and rockets.

Edited by MiG-Mech

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, JPuente54 said:

Since I did the "@" thing; @Flankerman should get a notification of this.

Joe :lol:

I seriously think that by now we already ought to have had a specially modified searchlight with a stylized emblem of Flankerman's avatar affixed to the light everytime we needed to summon Mr Ken Duffey here on BM.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, MiG-Mech said:

Does the Ukraine have the UPAZ buddy-to-buddy refueling pod and is using it on their Su-24M ?

How about switching to an Iranian MK instead?

• Like 2

Sorry I'm late to this - and flattered by the impression that I am an 'expert' !!!

The answer is - I don't know - but I why would the Ukranians use a UPAZ Su-24 when they haven't got any aircraft with probes to receive fuel *???

AFAIK, they only operate 'legacy' Su-27's - which aren't fitted with IFR probes.

But - I have been known to be wrong !!!

Ken

* apart from other Su-24's

PS - As we don't have a definitive answer - no-one can say you are wrong if you do fit a UPAZ pod to your Su-24.

On 21.2.2018 at 1:36 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

How about switching to an Iranian MK instead?

No, I don't like that.
And I already have iranian Phantom, Tomcat, Mirage F1 and MiG-29 in my stash. :D

On 21.2.2018 at 10:18 AM, Flankerman said:

PS - As we don't have a definitive answer - no-one can say you are wrong if you do fit a UPAZ pod to your Su-24.

Yeah, this could be.

Thanks all for help.!

Sorry for late answer - Ukraine Air Force don't use in-flight refuel, all Il-78 were converted to cargo aircraft or sold to foreign customers. About UPAZ - they were rare use even in RuAF, i never heard about UPAZ in Ukraine, Ukranian air spase not so large as in Russia, in-0flight refuel is no need. 

1 hour ago, kotey said:

Ukraine Air Force don't use in-flight refuel, all Il-78 were converted to cargo aircraft or sold to foreign customers. About UPAZ - they were rare use even in RuAF, i never heard about UPAZ in Ukraine,

Addition to the answer Andrey.

First of all from the general park of 53 IL-78 planes

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ил-78

constructed in the USSR in 1991 to them has got 21 planes, that is nearly a half all constructed in the USSR. As of the moment of writing of this article:

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2102432.html
16 planes have been sold:
(as it is specified in the table)
- 6 to Algeria
- 2 in the USA
- 1 in Angola
- 4 to Pakistan
- 3 to China
And as appears from article planes for Algeria the equipment the Ukrspecialexport company the UPAZ-1 unit. That is they had UPAZ.

One plane has suffered accident, two planes have been disassembled on scrap metal, and two are on the earth, but they are excluded from the register as since 2008 they didn't receive appropriate maintenance and their today's technical condition is unknown.

Thus, having the specialized refueling plane at the beginning they didn't use him!

So why him to use the suspended unit of gas station which they can suspend only under Su-24 to fill only the same Su-24?
But their Su-24 in the majority have developed a resource! In time fueling in air the plane hits turbulence that also creates the additional loadings which are even more reducing a resource.

1 hour ago, kotey said:

Ukranian air spase not so large as in Russia, in-0flight refuel is no need. 

It's correct. She have many airfield on his territory from USSR,  so for what him refueling in flight? 

Besides refueling

in air is rather difficult for any types of planes and the pilot at their constant training demands good qualification.
From where to it to undertake there?
In a modern situation air defense system density such is that in case of transition of the conflict to an active phase their Su-24 will be enough for one, at most two departures. Therefore sense to teach pilots to refueling Su-24 in the air, an expense at the same time a resource the plane? And who will teach them?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

About Su-24 refueling

from Su-24 by means of UPAZ there was an educational movie of the Ministry of Defence of the USSR of 1985. There all stages are shown and typical mistakes at Su-24 refueling

from SU-24 are considered.

It is well visible what difficult it is process.

Unfortunately I can't find this educational movie on YouTube yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 24.02.2018 at 11:52 PM, Aardvark said:

About Su-24 refueling

from Su-24 by means of UPAZ there was an educational movie of the Ministry of Defence of the USSR of 1985. There all stages are shown and typical mistakes at Su-24 refueling

from SU-24 are considered.

It is well visible what difficult it is process.

Unfortunately I can't find this educational movie on YouTube yet.

When looked for features of coloring MiG-25 has found the reference to this movie in a topic!
Refueling in air of the Su-24 T-6M plane.

All about day & night tecnic refueling Su-24 with UPAZ.

https://ok.ru/video/6068766933

Sorry, but only on Schoolmates network, this video isn't on YouTube any more.

Very cool old school education video Soviet Ministry of Defence!

B.R.

Serge