Brush-painting AKAN acrylics?

drake122

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone here have experiences to share regarding brush-painting AKAN paints from their acrylic range.

So far what I've heard is that they are thin when compared to Vallejo or MIG and will require more coats.

I have some modern Russian jets planned and this would be my first experience with AKAN.

Thanks in advance.

I've tried some AKAN WW2 colours, and didn't like them at all.  I'm not sure about how thin they were, but they certainly didn't cover well and were very streaky.  I suspect they will be better airbrushed - people do seem to get good results from them.

For touch up work they are fine. They level well and in my experience (painting from the cap) they cover well. Airbrushing they are fine. I have used Mr. Leveling thinner with the water based Akan and have great results over a primer or Mr. Surfacer 1500.

For those who do not airbrush and only brush paint...I wouldn't try painting my models with any brand of paint by brush alone, but that is just me.

I only brush paint, and used Akan on all my models in the GPW group build last summer. They tend to be a bit thin and streaky with the first coat from a new pot so they need a LOT of stirring, and a couple of thin coats but that suits my style so I got used to them pretty quickly and got decent results:

First coat

BT%2001.jpg

Finished model

BT%20905.jpg

Aircraft colours

Tu%2010%20Decals.jpg

Not as user friendly as my usual Vallejo and Xtracrylix, but not bad. You just need a bit of practice to get into their groove. 

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks, based on these suggestions I will give AKAN brush painting a go... but first I pick a jet with single color camo, like the Mig-31. I feel like paiting complex 2-3 color camos would be very annoying this way.

Going to use self levelling thinner too.

I bought some AKAN acrylics from Linden Hill to do a Mil-24 with & painted some test pieces with them as I'm want to, the first coat was streaky, maybe not enough stirring/shaking, the subsequent coat after more mixing was really nice. I'd have no qualms about brushing them on the basis of that.

Steve.

I brush painted a Mig-31 with them with no problem. I did thin with a small amount of water and mixed well, it went on with no problem and they took both decals and weathering well. Can't comment on how a multi coloured paint job would brush paint though.

Richard

• Like 1

On 28. 4. 2017 at 7:33 PM, Richard G said:

I brush painted a Mig-31 with them with no problem. I did thin with a small amount of water and mixed well, it went on with no problem and they took both decals and weathering well. Can't comment on how a multi coloured paint job would brush paint though.

Richard

Thank you, mind if I ask what primer you used?