Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Headroom

Campaign to Save HMS Hermes/INS Viraat

I saw this in the Fail on Sunday.

With the best will in the world, how far will this one go? I recall the campaign to save HMS Victorious a few years ago.

http://en.mercopress.com/2017/04/06/tech-entrepreneur-wants-to-rescue-falklands-flagship-hms-hermes-from-the-scrap-heap

Trevor

1 person likes this

It depends on how deep Mr Trish's pocket is and if he can come up with a realistic plan for how it will pay its way in 'retirement'.

I'm surprised it's got a scrap price tag of £5million, but maybe it's got lots of non-ferrous metal that's easily recoverable.

Good luck to him, but I won't be investing.

Have unfortunately to agree that this is unlikely although I would love to be proved wrong.

Buying her would just be the start of the never ending cash outflow I suspect.

Is there not a carrier  in the States used as floating aircraft museum ?

Phil

As much as I agrre with him, saving a ship and keeping it afloat as a museum is a horrendously expensive thing to do. As Seahawk pointed out HMS Plymouth. Also recently they tried to save HMS Edinburgh which again proved not good.

Something the size of HMS Hermes would be a step to far. 

Julien

1 person likes this

Very sad, maybe 20 years ago, it just will not happen, money 💵 for one thing.

Will of the people, young not keen on keeping history, I would think are military museums will be in danger in a few decades time, military stuff, will be frowned on, when everything is a PC Robot, lot of stuff will look old fashioned and uninteresting.

I feel those with classic cars worth thousands will catch a cold, and will look like metal shapes with four wheels , that no one will be able to drive.

yes a few museums will survive, but nothing like we have to day.😎

1 person likes this

On 16/04/2017 at 10:07 PM, Seahawk said:

Just 2 words: HMS Plymouth.

Is HMS a word or an acronym ?:hmmm:

28 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Guilty as charged.  Afraid I allowed the desire for an elegant brevity to trump complete accuracy.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Very sad, maybe 20 years ago, it just will not happen, money 💵 for one thing.

Will of the people, young not keen on keeping history, I would think are military museums will be in danger in a few decades time, military stuff, will be frowned on, when everything is a PC Robot, lot of stuff will look old fashioned and uninteresting.

I feel those with classic cars worth thousands will catch a cold, and will look like metal shapes with four wheels , that no one will be able to drive.

yes a few museums will survive, but nothing like we have to day.😎

I have to disagree on museums, the young are not like this unless they are told its bad, let them make their won choices. Often it is thought they need interactive displays etc when i find they do not. I volunteer at a local museum and we had a very successful bank holiday weekend. If you take the time to engage  with visitors they seem to get much more out of the experience. I think it is often to easy for museums to replace people with interactive displays etc.

If done properly there is no reasons museums can not survive.

Unfortunately in the case of ships they are horrendously expensive to keep and you need somewhere to put them. Ex military ships are usually full of hazardous materials which need to be removed. The upkeep of the vessels is then horrendously expensive as well. The UK's record on ship preservation has not been great when you look at HMS Edinburgh, HMS Plymouth, HMS Onyx to name a few.

Julien

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Neither, it's an abbreviation.

Hermes has one advantage over Plymouth: size. It's easier to sell a big vision than a small one, and I suspect there are more commercial things you could do with the unused space.

Richard Branson quietly takes his phone off the hook...

20 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

Neither, it's an abbreviation.

Hermes has one advantage over Plymouth: size. It's easier to sell a big vision than a small one, and I suspect there are more commercial things you could do with the unused space.

Well 3DStewart, having used my Google-Fu, all I can say is every day is a school day:yes: 

As for the Hermes article, seems like a businessman with a bright idea is saying this what other people could put their money into.  Nice idea but I feel that it is more likely the ship will end up as a recycled Dacia or Kia than a museum/conference/hotel centre.  

USS Intrepid.

In the centre of Manhattan. A fantastic museum experience, retired USN volunteer tour guides, warbirds, a submarine & Concorde. It can be done. It can be done well. It just takes the will.

The Government bean counters of this grubby little afraid of it's own shadow, PC country won't let it happen. They don't understand it's worth & value, they think only pennies & pounds.

The sad thing for those bean counters is, after the initial expense & yes, it will be a HUGE expense to get her ready, she would eventually turn a handsome profit & be a world class museum experience.

it can be done & it can be done well.

1 person likes this

I've seen the Intrepid in New York and the Midway in San Diego and both were excellent, although the Midway in my opinion was better. I think Midway edges it because it's bigger and is a more flexible space.

As we left Midway there was a group of fathers and sons boarding for a sleepover. It's that kind of left-field thinking to maximise usage that needs to be exploited. It's all very well preaching to the converted (us), but you need a darn good reason for the casual visitor to part with their money and literally get on board. Would it work? Who knows, but a straight aircraft based museum would fail.

Trevor

1 person likes this

It will never be an Intrepid. Where will you get the aircraft from? FAA museum would not rob their stock to be left out in the sea air.

If it's a private concern, you would need privately owned exhibits. Right now I know where he can get a Phantom, probably a Sea King, maybe a Seahawk and a Wessex. After that............?

1 person likes this

It doesn't have to be an Intrepid, that was just an example. Part Royal Marines' museum. Part Falklands' museum.

Part Cold War museum. Function room(s). Classroom. 

It could be done. Imagination & a willingness to succeed.

1 person likes this

.....and limitless supplies of cash. That is the stumbling block. Imagine the costs of dry docking it at intervals. Look at the Queen Mary - virtually rusted through because it has been kept afloat. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to see.....but.....

I'm not saying it would be cheap. I'm not saying it would be easy, or simple, or without stumbling blocks or without setbacks.

it's not impossible.

^^^sounds like you're volunteering :D

Trevor

1 person likes this

I'm ex RN & I'd love to be involved.

1 person likes this