Happy Easter Folks!

Here is my latest build, or should i say completed build. The old Airfix Fw 190D, not the original tooling from the dogfight doubles set but the "new" one from 1979.

A very simple kit with little in the way of internal or finer detail. Nevertheless i think it still captures the line of the Dora to a tee.

I have finished it in one of the kit options from JV44 the protection staffel which flew standing patrols over the airfield when the Me 262's were landing or taking off. The markings remind me of the old WW1 flying circus planes with its bright red undersides and stripes. Talking of which, came as transfers but i made a mess of them and had to resort to painting then on.

As usual the model is brush painted using revell and humbrol acrylics. Thanks for watching, all comments welcolme.

Cheers, Greg :D

IMG_2433_zpse7m0dtgl.jpg

IMG_2434_zps5axkfoa6.jpg

IMG_2435_zpsm6cinarr.jpg

IMG_2436_zpspzg0imce.jpg

IMG_2437_zpsjavltzjw.jpg

IMG_2438_zpsr66spobm.jpg

IMG_2439_zpscfxn8ey1.jpg

• Like 31

3 minutes ago, Dave N said:

Very nice- that camo has turned out spot on, quite a feat with a brush..     cheers, D

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the kind comments. Mottled paint jobs aren't my forte being a brush painter but I was quite happy with the results this time.

All the best,

Greg B)

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

very nice Dora!

I remember building the Italeri kit that came out pretty much at the same time than the Airfix one. There was not much to chose from between the two. 

The very old Airfix D-9 was one of my first painted kits and I still have it: I gave it one hell of a dihedral then!

It is commendable to still tackle these oldies and you've achieved something real good.

Even the brush painted mottling looks rather impressive, and doing that with acrylic paints is really a thankless task! Much easier in my book with enamel paints... A matter of taste, I guess.

Congrats on a job well done

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

very nice Dora!

I remember building the Italeri kit that came out pretty much at the same time than the Airfix one. There was not much to chose from between the two. 

The very old Airfix D-9 was one of my first painted kits and I still have it: I gave it one hell of a dihedral then!

It is commendable to still tackle these oldies and you've achieved something real good.

Even the brush painted mottling looks rather impressive, and doing that with acrylic paints is really a thankless task! Much easier in my book with enamel paints... A matter of taste, I guess.

Congrats on a job well done

JR

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the positive comments. Much appreciated. 

I have a stash of old kits and still get a lot of enjoyment putting them together. Kind of making up for the mess I made of them when I was a kid. 

I always used to use enamel paints but found them harder on my brushes when it was time to clean up. The acrylics seem to be kinder to my brushes! 

Cheers

Greg :wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorbygould said:

Very nice 190. I'm amazed that it was brush painted - it looks airbrushed.

Thanks Gorby!

I am to cheap/lazy to use an airbrush :lol: but appreciate the work of those who do.

Cheers

Greg 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Nice one - always liked this scheme and you nailed it.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, 

Glad you liked it.

Cheers

Greg ;)

On 16/04/2017 at 1:25 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Brilliant looking FW 190 D😊

Thank you for your comments Gerrard! 

Glad you liked it:yes::yes:

Cheers

Greg :smile:

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

The old girl scrubbed up well Greg,great job on her.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, turned out nicely without any fuss. 

Cheers Greg ;)

Lovely Dora ! Love the neat paint job including the underside with the white stripes over the red surface and the well applied mottling.

Great build, Congratulations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BerndM said:

Lovely Dora ! Love the neat paint job including the underside with the white stripes over the red surface and the well applied mottling.

Great build, Congratulations.

Cheers mate :yes:

Thanks for the positive comments, much appreciated.

All the best 

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, old thumper said:

Nice build of a nice old kit. I would have given it a like but I have used up my 50 likes a day allowance.

Thanks Old Thumper,

Another of my Golden Oldies from the stash, still a very enjoyable build.

Cheers

Greg  :thanks:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great job Greg - you certainly worked your magic on the old kit! Very nicely done! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :yes:

I wanted to try out brush painting mottle on a small scale as I hadn't done it for a while, and was quite pleased with the results. I am not sure how well it will work on larger scale kits though.

Cheers

Greg ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

That has turned out very well indeed for such an old kit. The finish is first class - just shows what can be done with a sow's ear - they can be turned into silk purses.

P

:D thanks Pheonix,

Older kits still prove to be satisfying builds when you give them a go.

All the best 

Greg