Harrier GR7/9 Beacons

Andrew Perren

Hi guys, quick question for the Harrier gurus.  Building a Hasegawa GR7/9 as ZD404 Lucy in Afghanistan.  The upper and lower anti-collision beacons ( triangle shaped ones) seem to have two distinct variants. Clear with a red bulb or green glass unknown bulb colour.  Can anyone share what  the difference is and why ? My ref pics show ZD404 fitted with clear so that is what I will go for but I'm still curious.

Cheers

Andrew P

Anti-Collision beacons are traditionally (and probably legislatively) "White" for daylight, "Red" for Night. In my day we had a similar (if not the same) Anti-Col Beacon on the Tornado F3, and initially, the lense cover was swapped out dependant on day or night flying. Later on in it's service,  a modified light assembly was fitted that allowed the lamp to be either red or white at a flick of a cockpit switch.

That Bluey-green lense on some Harrier Anti-Col Beacons  looks suspiciously like one optimised for use with Night Vision Devices.  (i.e. NVG equipped crews can see you, bad guys can't.) 

Thanks Mr Harrier Pilot, so the green lense still shows white to the naked eye, but at a reduced intesity if viewed through NVG. And the IR light/ strobe is invisible to the naked eye but visible through NVG