Harrier GR.1 to GR.9

Courageous

Hi Fonts of Wisdom,

My plan is to build a model from each of the 5 main GR variants of the Harrier from an operational point of few. I would like to cover the most paint schemes, markings, load-outs and theatres for the RAF.

I do not profess to know much about the Harrier and what I do know is taken the SAM publication. To start off with, I quite like the GR.1 in its early high gloss scheme with the red-white-blue roundels but I'm not sure if this was phased out before entering operational service? 

So it's over to you guys.

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart

Assuming you are building in 1/72nd scale, the Airfix Harrier GR Mk.1 is a good starting point and for the GR Mk.3 you've got the choice of the recent Airfix release or the Italeri reboxing of the Esci Harrier; if you want to represent the Sea Harrier Italeri also reboxed Esci's Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1.  The Airfix GR Mk.9/9A kit is probably a good stating point for all of the second generation Harriers although you will need the source a replacement nose for the GR Mk.5 version and you may need to invest in an aftermarket Leading Edge Root Extention (LERX), for instance from Alley Cat, if you want to build one of the later aircraft fitted with the larger wing leading edge extensions.  Sword also produce kits of both the first and second generation trainer versions in 1/72nd scale

The usual manufacturers - Xtradecal, Modeldecal and Model Alliance should also give you a wide choice of markings for the Harrier throughout its service life.

To echo @iainpeden the IPMS Harrier SIG should also be able to offer you more advice.

30 minutes ago, Richard E said:

you may need to invest in an aftermarket Leading Edge Root Extention (LERX), for instance from Alley Cat, if you want to build one of the later aircraft fitted with the larger wing leading edge extensions.  

Doesn't the Airfix GR Mk. 7A / 9A come with both the 65 and 100 % LERX? 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Richard E said:

you may need to invest in an aftermarket Leading Edge Root Extention (LERX), for instance from Alley Cat, if you want to build one of the later aircraft fitted with the larger wing leading edge extensions.

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Doesn't the Airfix GR Mk. 7A / 9A come with both the 65 and 100 % LERX? 

Cheers,

Andre

Andre - I stand corrected: yes it does.

Thanks guys. Looks like Harrier SIG is the place to go.

I used to build in 1/48 but space is always an issue so it's 1/72 from now on. My approach to modelling variants is to capture the major features; start with the best kit you can afford and go from there. My limited investigations into the Harrier world in 1/72, GR.1- Airfix, GR.3- Italeri, GR.7 & GR.9- Airfix. Not sure about the GR.5?

As a matter of interest, how many different paint schemes did the Harrier have over its years?

I do have plans to include an FRS.1 & an FA,2; Italeri & Airfix respectively?

Stuart

Stuart

That sounds like a sensible list, both Hasegawa and Airfix have produced versions of GR Mk.5: the Hasegawa version may be the better of the two or, if you can find a reasonably priced example, you might be able to graft the nose from the Airfix kit onto their current GR7/9 kit, similarly you might be able to convert Italeri's Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1 to an F/A Mk.2.

The simple answer your question about colour schemes is, off the top of my head:

Harrier GR Mk.1 and GR Mk.3

Classic camouflage grey and green, initially with light aircraft grey undersides, then wrapped around

Harrier GR Mk.5 and early GR Mk.7

Dark Green and Lichen Green undersides

Harrier GR Mk.7/7A and Mk.9/9A

Generally Dark Sea Grey and Camouflage Grey - check your references.

The GR Mk.7s used during Operation Warden over Northern Iraq wore a temporary light grey ARTF finish, light aircraft grey is a reasonable match

Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1

Initially Extra Dark Sea Grey with white undersides

Extra Dark Sea Grey overall (Falklands campaign)

Medium Sea Grey - 809 Squadron only

Dark Sea Grey overall (Post Falklands campaign)

Sea Harrier F/A Mk.2

Dark Sea Grey overall - Pre-production aircraft

Medium Sea Grey overall

Expanding on Richard's post the GR. 1 entered service with Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces with Light Aircraft Grey undersides, all colours being gloss.  National markings in eight positions, upper and lower wing surfaces, air intake walls and fin, were the post-war standard 1:2:3-proportioned red, white and blue respectively in bright colours.  Please note that the blue is not BS381C:105 Roundel Blue but is darker and richer, around BS381c:110 IIRC.

In the early mid-seventies the paint finish changed to matt and the white element was removed from national markings. Again IIRC roundel proportions changed to 3:5 red:blue, fin flashes were divided equally between read and blue.  Subsequently the Light AIrcraft Grey undersides were replaced by Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey disruptive camouflage.

The change in designation from GR. 1 to GR. 3 relates to a revised engine rather than the fitment of the LRMTS nose ant RWR installation on fin and tailcone.  The 3 began appearing at about the time that the toned down camouflage was introduced, so a pointy-nosed GR. 3 with Light Aircraft Grey undersides is a possibility.

Towards  the end of the GR. 3's career up to 4 aircraft in RAF Germany took part in trials for the paint scheme for the new GR. 5 fleet.  Two were painted Dark Sea Grey on top with Light Aircraft Grey undersides: the top/bottom division being as per the new jets.  The other two were finished in NATO Green on top with Lichen Green undersides.  National markings were reduced in size (12" diameter roundels and 12" slanted fin flashes IIRC) still in red and blue.  This latter iteration was the one adopted for the GR. 5, 5A and early GR. 7 airframes.

After the end of the Cold War GR. 7s appeared n an overall Dark Camouflage Grey scheme with Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces with the demarcation high on the fuselage sides.  National Markings could be in the red/blue as above or pale red and pale blue low visibility colours.

Near the end of their days RAF Harriers could be seen sporting various bits of airframe finished in various greys: a scheme to repainting the fleet in overall Medium Sea Grey had made some progress but some jets looked like patchwork quilts with wings.  Barley Grey/Camouflage Grey was also encountered here.

FAA Sea Harriers started out overall Extra Dark Sea Grey on top with White undersides and national markings as per the early GR. 1s.  During the Falklands War undersides were hastily reprinted Extra Dard Sea Grey and the White areas of roundels with Blue.  IIRC the aircraft of Air Group were Barley Grey overall but with Light Aircraft Grey under wings and tailplanes.  Roundels for this scheme were pale red and pale blue.

Neither of the Airfix Sea Harriers is a good representation of the types, nor is the Xtrakit version.  The nose from the old Airfix GR. 5 can be grafted onto the new GR. 7/9 kit and will produce a better rendition than the Hasegawa kit (reboxed by Revell) which lacks ventral air dam, air brake and weapons.

i think I've got most of it here, and there may be some bloopers as I don't have my references to hand, but if anyone can correct me I'll be internally grateful.

• Like 2

If you are contemplating building numbers of Harriers, the Esci/Italeri and Fujimi 1st generation Harriers/Sea Harriers are lovely kits (amazing for 34 year old kits), as good as the new Airfix kits but with finer detail, good seats are probably the only extra that they require.  Beware that the new Airfix Harrier has a wrong fin height, but is correctable.

The beauty is that the Esci/Italeri kits can be had for around £4 each if you look about.

An arctic scheme example would look nice, this can be applied to the GR.5 as well as the GR.1/3

Don't forget that Harrier T.2 & 4 trainers are available from Sword.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

An arctic scheme example would look nice, this can be applied to the GR.5 as well as the GR.1/3

Some GR Mk.7s also wore a white over grey camouflage scheme when they deployed to Norway during Operation Snow Falcon.

Depending on how many Harriers you want to build a small number of GR Mk.3s wore non-standard tail schemes: 3 Squadron operated one red and one white tailed examples in 1989 (these are both depicted on Xtradecal's Sheet X72186), some 4 Squadron aircraft wore a stylised red, yellow and black lightning flash design and some of the Belize based 1473 Flight aircraft wore tail art - again there are a couple of examples on the Xtradecal sheet.  "Special tail" schemes were probably more common on the second generation GR Mk.7s and Mk.9s, for instance the 20 (R) Squadron air display schemes, 3, 4 and 41 (R) Squadrons' anniversary schemes and the four squadron "flag ships" which led the four ship elements during the types' retirement flypast. 

Edited by Richard E

Cheers guys.

As I said at the beginning of the topic, The idea is to build an a/c for each of the GR's to cover operational history without going OTT. Thus far, the idea goes like this:

GR.1 in early gloss scheme with the r/w/b roundels.

GR.3 as  per the 'Falklands'

GR.5 as winter in Norway or in its Green/ Green livery

GR.7 Iraq/ Balkans/ Iraq

Gr.9 Afghanistan

I'm hoping that their will be decal options to cover all the bases as well as a appropriate 'hanging stuff'.

Keep it coming guys, much appreciated.

Stuart

• Like 2

Stuart by "hanging stuff" do you mean external stores?

if so the new Airfix kits come reasonably well equipped, including AAR probes.  The current GR. 7/7A/9/9a kit has some kit used in Afghanistan, including one version of the CRV-7 rocket pods.  The final iteration of the earlier GR. 7 kit included an additional sprue of weapons parts including some US-supplied AGMs.  Unfortunately mine's buried in the loft so I can't check what it contained.

Freightdog Models, IIRC, do a "Blue Eric" gun pod for Falklands War jets.

AFAIK only the Heller/Bobcat kit included the extended "ferry" wingtips which were integral to the main wing structure but which could be used as patterns for scratch-built examples.

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

Stuart by "hanging stuff" do you mean external stores?

Yes, 'hanging stuff' are external stores...couldn't remember what the collective name was for tanks, weapons, pods, etc...doh!

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

AFAIK only the Heller/Bobcat kit included the extended "ferry" wingtips which were integral to the main wing structure but which could be used as patterns for scratch-built examples.

What variant would this be for?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Yes, 'hanging stuff' are external stores...couldn't remember what the collective name was for tanks, weapons, pods, etc...doh!

What variant would this be for?

Thanks

Any small  winged  Harriers GR1 T2 GR3 T4 

Phil

On 16.04.2017 at 10:34 PM, stever219 said:

The nose from the old Airfix GR. 5 can be grafted onto the new GR. 7/9 kit and will produce a better rendition than the Hasegawa kit (reboxed by Revell) which lacks ventral air dam, air brake and weapons.

I not absolutely understand sense of purchase of the whole model of the Harrier GR5 from Airfix to saw off to him a nose cone when there is just separate nose cone from Quickboost:

72041b.jpg

And I don't share delights from new Harrier GR7/9 Airfix!

As this building shows:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56081&highlight=

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/9474-Airfix-1-72-BAe-Harrier-GR-7A.html

there are a lot of problems...

B.R.

Serge

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I not absolutely understand sense of purchase of the whole model of the Harrier GR5 from Airfix to saw off to him a nose cone when there is just separate nose cone from Quickboost:

72041b.jpg

And I don't share delights from new Harrier GR7/9 Airfix!

As this building shows:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56081&highlight=

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/9474-Airfix-1-72-BAe-Harrier-GR-7A.html

there are a lot of problems...

B.R.

Serge

The original Airfix GR. 5 kit contained four separate noses for early versions of the second-generation Harrier, so no cutting needed.  I was not aware of the Quickboost conversion.

11 hours ago, shatters said:

Any small  winged  Harriers GR1 T2 GR3 T4

AFAIK the ferry tips were never fitted operationally. The only instance they were used I'm aware of was the 1969 Transatlantic Race.

Cheers,

Andre