WW2 Tamiya 1/48 Russian Armour Diorama plus a Yak-3 - finished and in the Gallery - 31/08/17

PlaStix

The La5 has a similar amount of detail and fiddly bits. I actually contemplated starting it for this build last week because the Mig3 was going so well, but then reality prevailed and I realised that I would probably get bogged down in the detail and not finish either.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The La5 has a similar amount of detail and fiddly bits. I actually contemplated starting it for this build last week because the Mig3 was going so well, but then reality prevailed and I realised that I would probably get bogged down in the detail and not finish either.

Cheers

John

Hi John. I was surprised how long it was taking me yesterday. I pretty much did modelling all day, which is unusual, but still have lots to do around the engine area today. I had thought I'd be onto working on the cockpit today but that may not happen. I can certainly understand your caution about starting the La5 now - I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about getting all mine finished in time.

Quick photo update - I had said the detail was good OOB but a quick check of the exhausts showed they, as in most other kits, had blank ends:

IMG_8955

......so out came the micro-drills:

IMG_8959

Not perfect but better.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

A photo update of the state of play with the engine - still stuff to add, detail to paint and some weathering effects to apply:

IMG_8960

IMG_8962

IMG_8963

IMG_8964

IMG_8965

IMG_8966

....and finally one to show how small the engine actually is:

IMG_8967

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Nice progress with the Yak Stix.

It looks like a highly detailed kit out the box. What additional detail are you thinking of adding? It looks to me to be detailed enough, maybe some wiring? 

As always you have a fascinating build on the go, and I look forward to the next updates.

Cheers Greg :clap:

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 09:19, GREG DESTEC said:

Nice progress with the Yak Stix.

It looks like a highly detailed kit out the box. What additional detail are you thinking of adding? It looks to me to be detailed enough, maybe some wiring? 

As always you have a fascinating build on the go, and I look forward to the next updates.

Cheers Greg :clap:

Hi Greg and thank you. Yes I was thinking of adding some wiring - although the engine looks to be pretty much complete from Zvezda - it is quite difficult to tell from photographs of the real engine as some (where there are photos) are of restored aircraft and have different colouring and some parts may have been updated. You can see below that I now have the framing on so I think it will be difficult to add anything else - I will see when it's in place in the fuselage and the guns are on top. There might not be any need for much more.

On 16/07/2017 at 13:09, Robert Stuart said:

I haven't seen the Zvezda aircraft kits, but that engine does look good after all your work Stix

Hi Rob. This is my first Zvezda aircraft kit and, so far, it's seems pretty good. It is quite a complex model of the engine and has now taken me pretty much two full(ish) modelling days to get it to the way you can see it in the photos below.

On 16/07/2017 at 13:50, Biggles87 said:

I like the way you've done the different metallic tones, it always looks better than a straight "metallic black" finish.

Cheers

John

PS What sort of penny is that?

Hi John and thank you. I was quite pleased with how it came out - all I have done is basically followed Zvezda's painting instructions plus got a couple of ideas from photos of actual engines.

On 16/07/2017 at 14:45, modelling minion said:

That's a great looking engine Stix, looks fantastic built up and painted.

Like John I have also tinkered with the idea of building an La-5 (amongst others) for a second build but don't think i will have the time.

Hi Craig and thank you very much. I must admit that I thought I would be further on with this build than I am - it may be a bit tighter timewise than I'd like! :frantic:

Apart from some gardening and some household chores, most of yesterday was spent on this project and I only just about finished the actual engine. There are still some kit parts to add and a bit of weathering to do. It is nicely detailed engine but some of the framing parts towards the end were really quite fiddly to fit. I'd have one part glued and then, while trying to fit another, knock off the first!! It wasn't too traumatic but a little irritating at times. Anyway this is how it currently looks:

IMG_8987

IMG_8988

IMG_8989

IMG_8990

IMG_8991

IMG_8992

IMG_8993

IMG_8994

So next weekend I hope to start work on the wheel bays and cockpit.

I did take some photos of all the tanks with the mud on but I will put them in a separate post.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It looks fantastic mate, very realistic. It's amazing what some manufacturers are able to do these days, almost as good as aftermarket and actually designed to fit the kit.

Keep up the great work!

Hi Craig and thank you. Yes Zvezda do seem to have done a good job with the engine on this one - just a bit fiddly in places in the later stages.

2 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Fantastic job on the engine painting stix your painting and weathering are making it look more like 1/32, 

Glynn

Hi Glynn and thank you for your very kind comments. To be fair the detail on the kit itself makes it easier to paint. 

Now just one photo of each of the armour builds to show some of the mud I've applied to the lower areas:

IMG_9012

IMG_9011

IMG_9007

Plus one of all three:

IMG_9013

Next up with these should be stowage and figures.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

On 17/07/2017 at 22:56, Hewy said:

:yes:, not overdone, i like it

Thank you! :thumbsup:

On 17/07/2017 at 23:10, Davek72 said:

Looking very fine indeed.  

Dave

Thank you very much Dave. :thumbsup:

I did do a little work on the Yak's wheel bay area yesterday evening but nothing worth a photo.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

First off this weekend I did some additional detailing in the wheel wells to busy them up a bit using some lead wire and bits of styrene - the pistons(?) in the last photo of this set are from the kit:

IMG_9022

IMG_9033

IMG_9049

IMG_9053

Then I got the upper and lower wings joined together before starting some painting of the cockpit area parts and additional parts for the engine area:

IMG_9054

IMG_9058

IMG_9059

IMG_9061

I added some wire and styrene to the radio to add a bit of detail.

Similar to the ends of the exhausts the machine gun ends were blank:

IMG_9062

.....so out came the micro-drills:

IMG_9063

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the cockpit parts in place and get the fuselage halves glued together.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Wow, I am lost for words. You do more in a week as I manage to do in three month :wall:

As always, some great progress and all is coming together very nicely. And yes, the Klimov VK-105 engine looks great :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 20:36, Hewy said:

Nice work stix, little bits all add up,looking very good

Glynn

Thank you very much Glynn for your comments.

On 7/23/2017 at 03:58, Basilisk said:

Wow, I am lost for words. You do more in a week as I manage to do in three month :wall:

As always, some great progress and all is coming together very nicely. And yes, the Klimov VK-105 engine looks great :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you for your comments. As for your second sentence - you tend to always add a lot more detail and modify the base kit to make it far more accurate than I ever do - so no wonder it takes you longer.

On 7/23/2017 at 08:53, Robert Stuart said:

Nice work Stix, I like the gun muzzles

Thank you very much Robert - hopefully they will look much better with the ends drilled once they are in place.

17 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Some great progress so far, I can see this being finished before my Mig, so I'd better get a move on.

Cheers

John 

Hi John and thank you. I must admit I'm having a bit of a push on this project because I still want to build the Cromwell in the Made in Britain II GB and I have just noticed the Radial Engines Rock GB starts soon too! I have been planning a build for that for a long time!

More photos of progress from this weekend. To start with I got the got the cockpit area finished (except for the gun sight clear part - which I would knock off repeatedly if it was in place!). There are lots of photos because I realised very little of it will be seen once everything is buttoned up and the canopy is in place. I am planning on having the canopy open but without a drop down hatch, like on a Spitfire, and once this aircraft is on the diorama base very little cockpit will be visible:

IMG_9067

IMG_9068

IMG_9071

IMG_9072

IMG_9074

IMG_9076

IMG_9077

IMG_9078

IMG_9081

IMG_9083

IMG_9084

IMG_9085

IMG_9087

IMG_9088

IMG_9089

At this point I got the fuselage halves together and affixed these to the wings. While waiting for the glue to set I painted the radiators - painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite first and then dry-brushed with Revell's Aluminium:

IMG_9090

And finally some photos of the current state of play:

IMG_9091

IMG_9096

IMG_9097

IMG_9098

IMG_9092

I'm hoping to get this ready for painting over the next few evenings so I can do the actual painting at the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Your cockpit looks great Stix. But there is one thing I would do. The Russians (like the Germans) had their piping and dials colour coded and blue was for pneumatic.

And the three instruments on the IP at the top left are in relation to pneumatic and painted blue.

cockpityak01.jpg

On some other preserved aircraft, the two dials are blue as well.

This is easily done and ads some colour to all the grey :D

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Thank you for the advice Peter, I will see what I can do.....I might be able to squeeze a paintbrush in there.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

He beat me to it, but I only know about the colours because I've been watching Peter's excellent Yak 3 build, not that yours is any less excellent of course. 

I like the effect on the radiator, I now also use Revell Anthracite thanks to you. I used to use Humbrol ' German Panzer grey ' which seems to have been renamed ' German Tank Grey' probably for reasons of political correctness, and is now not dark enough to my eyes.

I might still beat you to the painting stage, I spent a couple of hours rubbing down and tidying up yesterday, it all depends on the weather, it's quite humid here at the moment.

Cheers

John

On 25/07/2017 at 07:32, Biggles87 said:

He beat me to it, but I only know about the colours because I've been watching Peter's excellent Yak 3 build, not that yours is any less excellent of course. 

I like the effect on the radiator, I now also use Revell Anthracite thanks to you. I used to use Humbrol ' German Panzer grey ' which seems to have been renamed ' German Tank Grey' probably for reasons of political correctness, and is now not dark enough to my eyes.

I might still beat you to the painting stage, I spent a couple of hours rubbing down and tidying up yesterday, it all depends on the weather, it's quite humid here at the moment.

Cheers

John

Hi John and thank you for your comments. I think you are right - Peter's Yak 3 is truly excellent - I don't have the patience or skill set to get my builds to his level but I really enjoy what I do! :thumbsup:

As I said to Peter I will try and get some blue on the IP.

Did you manage to get some paint on? I will check when I've got this post done. As you will see below I haven't got onto the actual painting yet but I'm not far off now.

On 26/07/2017 at 22:25, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix, Catching up as I've not had a lot of time recently but the progress is wonderful   :thumbsup: 

Hi Nigel. Welcome back and thank you. :thumbsup2:

First job this weekend was to cut up the engine cowling parts. Although Zvezda have designed the model so it can have the engine on display they haven't designed the cowling parts so you can have them as part of a diorama OOB.........so I have carefully cut along the panel lines on the three sections - the part on the left in this photo is the one I haven't cut apart yet:

IMG_9112

You can see the top cowling had to be cut in two and I also drilled out the areas where the machine guns should show through. You can perhaps also see I cut out where the insides where the exhausts should pass through:

IMG_9115

I have also thinned the edges so that they will hopefully look okay lying on the ground around the aircraft.

I added some fuse wire brake cables to the undercarriage legs using lead wire:

IMG_9113

....before fitting the undercarriage door parts:

IMG_9119

Next up, before I can start the painting proper, I needed to get the cockpit canopy frames painted and the front and rear sections attached:

IMG_9122

You may also be able to see the small, clear gunsight part has been fixed in place too.

IMG_9124

Finally I started adding some pre-shading using very thinned Revell's Anthracite:

IMG_9125

I may be able to start some actual painting of the aircraft soon.

I meant to mention before that I have been using some photos of a Yak-3M that I photographed at the Victory Show (which takes place less than a mile from where we live) back in 2015 for some ideas. I know it's not the exact same aircraft as the one I'm building, it's a two seater to start with, but it has been very useful. I thought some people might be interested in the photos. The aircraft Is D-Flak owned by Will Greenwood:

IMG_3463

IMG_3465

IMG_3483

IMG_3496

IMG_3497

IMG_3498

IMG_3565

IMG_3566

IMG_3567

More information about D-Flak can be found here. The page is the sales information from when it was up for sale before Will purchased it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4