Grand Slam v MOAB

FatFlyHalf

On 4/16/2017 at 4:18 AM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Good one, Ian. One misses waving with the cowboy hat, though, Kubricks final touch to underline that scene. Cheers

Jure

Great movie with great on board scenes.

Makes me wish I could fit a CRM 114 Discriminator to my car.

Michael

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, charlie_c67 said:

Probably because it's the closest modern equivalent to the Grand Slam and Earthquake bombs of old. I'd imagine these tunnels won't be especially well constructed, so the sudden increase in local pressure would cause more in the way of collapse and make those remaining structurally unstable.

The overpressure would probably have a bigger impact on any carbon-based life forms inside the tunnels rather than on the tunnels themselves. 

• Like 1

Hi folks,

While I am not an expert in such things, I do keep track of things that go bang - I like to know what may kill me!

The GBU-42/B MOAB is not an "earthquake" bomb. It was designed to explode at, or close to,  ground level - not penetrate it. It uses a very large explosive mix to create huge overpressure; it is the overpressure that does the destruction. As Jure states above, such a device comes into it's own in a location where the blast can be funnelled - such as a trench system or cave network. It's immediate predecessor, the BLU-82, was used in Gulf War 1 on Iraqi trench systems/ minefields to the same effect.

From what I have heard, it was suspected that the approach to the cave network was strewn with IED's, which would mean that ground forces would be taking casualties all the way in. Using a MOAB would solve two problems at once.

The MOAB is not comparable to Grand Slam or Tallboy, it is more akin to the various "Cookies" be they 4000b, 8000b or 12,000b - it works in exactly the same way, only using modern explosive. While "Cookies" were dumb bombs, MOAB is guided.

The U.S. does have a modern equivalent of Grand Slam or Tallboy. It is the GBU-57/A or updated GBU-57/B, known as the Massive Ordnance Penetrator. Here is a link to a photo:-

https://theaviationist.com/2013/10/28/b-2-mop/

The U.S. is much more tight lipped about this weapon, it is rumoured to be 30,000lbs in weight, but with only a 5000-6000b warhead. This is a pure penetration weapon, just like Grand Slam or Tallboy.

Of course, it doesn't really matter what it is if it lands on top of you, all will make you equally as dead!

M

• Like 5

Perhaps I should clarify. When I compared it to the older bombs it was more in terms of weight rather than execution. One does wonder what these tunnels would look like had a true earthquake bomb been used, whether it would've been more effective against the tunnels by causing more structural damage, or less so.

my mistake.

Edit: Apparently the site now corrects certain slang terms as well... Who knew? :shrug:

Edited by charlie_c67

MOAB is indeed an air blast weapon, as it's acronym suggests, not a penetrator. The USAF has another weapon known by the acronym MOP (Massive Ordinance Penetrator). Jure provides a very good explanation as to how it works and why it was the right weapon for the job. I seem to remember that Osama Bin Laden was bombed in the same mountain valley cave complexes in late 2001. Weapons were more conventional. The desired outcome, as we all know, was not obtained.

Another issue with FAE (Fuel Air Explosives) is that apparently the fuel part of the bomb creates a film of fuel over everything it touches. Then when the explosive goes off it ignites that fuel. Wouldn't seem to be a good way to go...

Hi Don,

If I had a choice, hypothetically, I would far rather be hit by an FAE device rather than napalm - although I would prefer not to be hit by anything!

Napalm would involve being burnt alive, which, in my opinion, is just about the worst possible way to die. I will not go into why I think this....

FAE's again rely on massive overpressure to destroy all and sundry in its way, rather than fire.

To use a common analogy, image napalm is a fire in a chip pan or deep fat fryer. It's nasty, it's intense, and can cause extreme damage to humans. An FAE is similar to what happens if someone approaches that fire in the chip pan or deep fat fryer and pours water over it. The water hitting an already intense fame evaporates immediately, creating a very large fireball. Many Fire & Rescue Services here in the U.K. have produced videos showing this effect.

An FAE is usually an air-burst weapon containing two charges, one is the burster which causes the flammable substance to form an aerosol cloud, which is then ignited by the second charge. All this occurs above the ground, so you may get covered in an aerosol mist, but by the time you realise it the blast will have hit you.

Here is a video of a BLU-96/B, an FAE, in a test:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRASCHJe2Q

Still wouldn't want to hit by it........

M