Looking for a photograph of ZE791 5 Squadron 1998

nigelshipp

In 1998 5 squadron painted up a F3 for its 85th anniversary. ZE791 had a large Maple leaf and a 5 on its tail Does anyone have a picture of this machines tail 

In addition if anyone has a decent tail shot of ZH555 in the later anniversary markings this also would be appreciated

Regards

Nigel

Seems like a fairly elusive scheme!

All I've found are two shots of ZE791 on this page:

https://www.masm.fr/galleryUKTornado.htm

And a small picture of ZH555's tail on this page- the upper image of the Jet is clickable to a larger Image.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2002/rafsqns/sqns.htm

Hope they help!

Cheers,

Troffa

Edited by Troffa
Added ZH555 Link

Excellent, many thanks

I'm going to have a go at home printing. 555's scheme looks easy enough to homeprint but I think it going to take photoshop and I a while to master 791 but I'm going to have a go anyway

Cheers

Nigel

Edited by nigelshipp
  • Like 1

Glad to be of help!

What are the red letters in the earlier scheme? They look like "CV" or "CD" to my aged eye, either Charlie Victor for the tail code or CD for Canadian? 

I'm more familiar with the "Army Co-operation" AC designation for 5 Sqn.

Good luck with the decals.

Regards,

Troff.

If you can lay your hands on the squadron prints Tornado F3 book it`s quite handy, on page 182 theres a small pic of ZE791 in the scheme you`re asking about and bit further in are a few colour profiles of different schemes.

Another useful book but sadly no pics of what you`re after is Peter Foster`s Tornado ADV  Tonka book on Amazon if nothing else it gives a pretty comprehensive history of every F2/F3 airframe upto just prior to out of service.

Thanks for the book links, the Foster book confirmed the vague lettering on the design

Troff, checked the Peter Foster book and its allocated letters were CD. It arrived on 5 in March 98 was painted in June 98 and went to 111 in Nov 98, so a short life on 5

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1