Russian KV-1 (Trumpeter 1:35)

Hi All,

Here's my entry for this GB. I washed the sprues yesterday whilst I had some spare time and thought it a good opportunity to take the 'sprue shots'.

The kit comes with both rubber and plastic tracks but I'm leaning towards the plastic ones as they have built-in sagging along the top. It had some Eduard etch in the box as well as its own etch but I'm leaning towards the Eduard. The kit is also supplied with a metal barrel :) 

Now, roll-on the 29th!! :waiting: 

Cheers

Nigel

33217196433_6489ea8d98_o.jpg

33988794506_380c2e22ef_o.jpg

33988795506_8715a2e2a9_o.jpg

• Like 4

Great to see the first tank in this GB. I am not a tank expert, but this looks like a very nice kit. I think using the plastic tracks will give a better look for the reasons you stated. And having a metal barrel should make live easier getting a great looking canon.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. Great to see you in this GB and with what looks like a really superb kit. The etch will really add to the project and I would definitely use the link and length tracks rather than the rubber bands. A metal barrel too - great stuff! This is looking exactly like a great project for me to follow!  :thumbsup::popcorn:

And I fully agree - roll on the 29th! This should be an epic GB!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 9:38 AM, Basilisk said:

Great to see the first tank in this GB. I am not a tank expert, but this looks like a very nice kit. I think using the plastic tracks will give a better look for the reasons you stated. And having a metal barrel should make live easier getting a great looking canon.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you for co-hosting what I'm sure will be a memorable GB. The kit does look good but the proof will be when the glue comes out in a couple of weeks!

On 4/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Great to see you in this GB and with what looks like a really superb kit. The etch will really add to the project and I would definitely use the link and length tracks rather than the rubber bands. A metal barrel too - great stuff! This is looking exactly like a great project for me to follow!  :thumbsup::popcorn:

And I fully agree - roll on the 29th! This should be an epic GB!

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice to have you along Stix :smile: The kit has just enough goodies to hopefully make it a pleasant build and ward off those gremlins of late :punch: 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hi nigel,better luck with this one, on the bright side ,at least there'll be minimum decaling to do

Glynn

Thanks Glynn - In fact, there are no decals at all!! ;) 

• Like 1

Time to get this underway!!

Didn't have a lot of spare time at the weekend but the basic shape of the hull is there. Hoping to speed things along this week :)

34412650645_be74aebd3f_o.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure I see the point of the smaller parts to fit the larger parts (other than testing the patience of the modeller :whistle: ). Every part needs de-sprue-gating, lots need de-flashing and most need de-mold-lining. I need therapy :frantic:  

33644054733_f964f011dd_o.jpg

• Like 3

So, I managed to complete the wheels and keep my sanity :whistle: 

34089986850_e3a63b9540_o.jpg

Some (though not strictly wheels) have already been placed on the hull due to other parts restricting placement later in the build. I've also installed some etch (surprisingly, the etch that came with the kit as opposed to the Eduard etch)

34344605041_4533cd87aa_o.jpg

with the etch replacing the followling parts. No contest me thinks :wink: 

34089987570_753a70b89d_o.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Nigel! Great to see this one underway! I know what you mean about the wheels on AFVs - there does seem to be an endless supply sometimes! The etch is a vast improvement! Hope you manage to get more done soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

These kv kits are great fun to build. 

Quick and simple, just like the real things. You're doing great so far, and don't fear the plastic tracks, Trumpeter designed them to be very easy to install.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:05 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel! Great to see this one underway! I know what you mean about the wheels on AFVs - there does seem to be an endless supply sometimes! The etch is a vast improvement! Hope you manage to get more done soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, We are having our central heating system replaced this week hence the build has halted for a short period. The house is upside-down at the moment but play will resume next week :) 

On 5/6/2017 at 2:53 PM, SoftScience said:

These kv kits are great fun to build. 

Quick and simple, just like the real things. You're doing great so far, and don't fear the plastic tracks, Trumpeter designed them to be very easy to install.

Thank you SoftScience. Yep, I'm gonna have a bash at the plastic tracks and keep the rubber tracks as backup, just in case ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

I agree no contest, moving along nicely Nigel 

Thanks Glynn - Hoping to crack on with it this weekend (if the central heating replacement is complete!!) 

• Like 1

Grills now on the hull with a few more small parts. I sprayed black paint under the grills before fitting and used up the remaining paint on a touch of pre-shade

34734469335_86e31940f7_o.jpg

• Like 4

Managed to build the turret this evening; not many parts. Starting to look like a tank now :) 

The track guards are dry fitted but I may fix them with the brackets before painting. 

34578048202_75dbfe08a7_o.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great progress :thumbsup: - looks like the painting stage is just around the corner.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter - Hoping to get some paint on it this weekend :) 

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking good,will you be building it completely before paint,

Glynn

Hi Glynn, Yes, that's the plan.

I'll paint the wheels separately before installing but the hull and turret will be complete. Only thing is, I'll have to use the rubber tracks so as to be able to feed them through. However, the difference in detail between those and the plastic tracks is non-existent. If anything, I'll not have the ejection marks to worry about ;) 

• Like 1

Wonderful progress Nigel. I agree too that the etch looks loads better. Hope the painting goes well! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wonderful progress Nigel. I agree too that the etch looks loads better. Hope the painting goes well! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank Stix :)

I've now completed 98% of the build and it's ready for paint. I did however spray the top of the sprockets before the guards were fitted (and made the most of the paint) as they would have been difficult to reach.

34721387066_8595ca2156_o.jpg

34629190971_05eb60a113_o.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Wow your stuff seems to just fall together so well 

Thanks - I'd love to take the credit but it's the quality of the kit that allows it to go together so well ;)