b_zpsftgfhej5.jpg

c_zpsq5ytzygv.jpg

d_zpskami1dvv.jpg

ee_zps4kxour5x.jpg

e1_zps9zvdweey.jpg

e2_zpsyhstdqd4.jpg

f_zps1szajxvo.jpg

g_zps8kbvsb6v.jpg

Almost two years since I last finished/posted an AFV build... Well as this is written it's exactly five years since we moved here to NZ and by coincidence here's a Kiwi subject.

Tasca's superb Sherman Firefly Vc with kit decals and a few extras - RB barrel, Verlinden stowage and Royal Models radio/storage bustle - The markings are for a vehicle from C Squadron 20th (NZ) Armoured Regt. in Italy right at the end of the war. From the outset I had in my mind exactly how I wanted it to look and (for once), got precisely what I was after. Not muddy just very, very dusty. 

I spent sometime researching articles and opinions on the late war British 'Drab' colour and most books/commentators seem to agree it was virtually the same as US Olive Drab but faded to a much greener hue than the American colour so that's what I aimed for - whether I achieved that is for others to say.

On top of the self mixed Tamiya acrylic paint there's some dry-brushing with oils, chipping and scratches, an oil-dot wash to get the streaking and just two tones of Mig pigments to get the dusty look. Now that it's done I am very pleased with it, so much so that I've dug-out an Academy M18 Hellcat that I started around eight years ago to sit alongside it - similar gun y'see !! - you'll see that in a few weeks. As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment and please feel free to make any criticism or ask any questions.

AFN.

Ian.

• Like 32

Nice dusty Kiwi. I've got this one in the stash to build at a later date (if I haven't pinched too many parts from it). I really like these NZ armour subjects, and thanks to Star/Bison decals, so many of them can be covered. 

John.

• Like 1

Cracking job Ian, really like your paint & as mentioned before your weathering is superb!

Now all it needs is a couple of figures & a nice little base to set it off....!! :whistle: :winkgrin:

Lovely Firefly...!!

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking job Ian, really like your paint & as mentioned before your weathering is superb!

Now all it needs is a couple of figures & a nice little base to set it off....!! :whistle: :winkgrin:

Lovely Firefly...!!

Keith

Thanks Keith - great to hear from you again, friend... Well now, figures - Hmmm, of all the modelling disciplines, figure painting is the one that constantly illudes me. I cannot explain it, I simply don't seem to have the skills to do anything more than the most basic figures. That said I do have a couple of Verlinden & Mini Art bases and vignettes that maybe one day I'll get around to putting vehicles and figures on to... one day !!

Thanks once again all, very much appreciated.

Ian.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2017 at 08:10, Ian said:

Sherman Firefly Vc

C. Squadron

20th NZ Armoured Regt.

Italy, Spring 1945

aa_zpsyx6pi9cl.jpg

a_zpsscbslpkr.jpg

b_zpsftgfhej5.jpg

c_zpsq5ytzygv.jpg

d_zpskami1dvv.jpg

ee_zps4kxour5x.jpg

e1_zps9zvdweey.jpg

e2_zpsyhstdqd4.jpg

f_zps1szajxvo.jpg

g_zps8kbvsb6v.jpg

Almost two years since I last finished/posted an AFV build... Well as this is written it's exactly five years since we moved here to NZ and by coincidence here's a Kiwi subject.

Tasca's superb Sherman Firefly Vc with kit decals and a few extras - RB barrel, Verlinden stowage and Royal Models radio/storage bustle - The markings are for a vehicle from C Squadron 20th (NZ) Armoured Regt. in Italy right at the end of the war. From the outset I had in my mind exactly how I wanted it to look and (for once), got precisely what I was after. Not muddy just very, very dusty. 

I spent sometime researching articles and opinions on the late war British 'Drab' colour and most books/commentators seem to agree it was virtually the same as US Olive Drab but faded to a much greener hue than the American colour so that's what I aimed for - whether I achieved that is for others to say.

On top of the self mixed Tamiya acrylic paint there's some dry-brushing with oils, chipping and scratches, an oil-dot wash to get the streaking and just two tones of Mig pigments to get the dusty look. Now that it's done I am very pleased with it, so much so that I've dug-out an Academy M18 Hellcat that I started around eight years ago to sit alongside it - similar gun y'see !! - you'll see that in a few weeks. As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment and please feel free to make any criticism or ask any questions.

AFN.

Ian.

Excellent job Ian,.....I like this a lot, very realistic looking and a good choice of subject too,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone - really appreciate the positive comments and as I've said before, I never take them for granted.

It was indeed a great project for a number of reasons, but the two BIGGEST reasons that it's turned-out well are simply: The quality of the kit - it is bl**dy fantastic, I've never enjoyed assembling an AFV kit as much as I've enjoyed this one. Second reason...

...I've longed to have a Firefly on the shelf for more years than I can tell you and it's only now that I have enough belief in my 'skills' to do justice to the subject.

So again everyone, thanks for the feedback. Next will be an early
Super Sabre for a Vietnam Campaign/GB over at Modelers Alliance (as soon as I can get back to the 'cave' - real life in general and school holidays in particular getting in the way), and I'm working on an Academy M18 Hellcat in the background aswell, not quite ready to show y'all that one just yet, but I'll be utilising and refining some of the techniques I used in this build. As this is written I've been looking at another NZ armour build for later in the year, more of that (very much) later.

AFN, stay tuned.

Ian.
  • Like 1