'ATS' or 'TAS' Canberra Unit at Woomera?

David M

Can anyone ID a unit with these initials operating Canberras at Woomera during the sixties?

I am not sure if its initials were 'ATS' or 'TAS' but its logo was the letters 'TAS' (arranged as a small T/big A/small S) with four pieces of text arranged around them to form a diamond shape.
Any help would be appreciated...
David M

Sydney, Straya

Hi David

It could be the Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU)? This was the RAAF equivalent of the RAE, they operated a lot of Canberra's as did the RAE, most of the British Woomera trials involving Canberra's were under the Weapons Research Establishment (WRE). The operations of other Canberra Mk's involved in various trials could come under diferant organisations. 

l_h023__zpsiigzocgz.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid

Ray Sturtivant's RAF Flying Training and Support Units has No.1 Air Trials Unit at Everett Field, Woomera, in connection with nuclear bomb trials, operating Canberras, Meteors and Jindiviks.  No dates.

Not convinced?  Neither am I.  

• Like 1

Hi John, Hi Seahawk,

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated!

I am fairly sure it was not ARDU - I have scoured their ORBs - and I don't think the subject Canberra was used on anything nuclear as it has 4 boomerangs as nose art which usually indicated that it had survived four goes as a missile test target.

Ken Delve, Peter Green and John Clemons mention in their “English Electric Canberra” (Midland Counties) that there are photographs of WK165 with missile nose art and I would be keen to see if any of them show the TAS/ATS logo: can anyone put me in contact with the authors?

Again, many thanks,

David M

Sydney, Straya

David, do you have a link to a photo? Or a serial number? I've been madly googling and can't find anything. The badge description rings a bell, but I can't for the life of me remember what, where or when.

Well thanks to a friend in Australia I think I have the answer to point, AIR TRIALS UNIT I thought it rang a bell, I can't find an image of the badge the way you describe it though. There is a photo of B(I)8 WT333 on Air Dropped Torpedo trial with a 2 ATU zap on the tail. Along with the Canberra they also flew Meteors and Jindivik. 

2-ATU-trial_zpswlqht2ea.jpg

John 

I think I have cracked it...Apprentice Training School.

WRE had one based out of Salisbury in South Australia and "APPRENTICE TRAINING SCHOOL SALISBURY" seems to fit the proportions of the text arranged around the ATS at the centre of the logo.

• Like 1