1/48 Mig-29AS - Slovakian Air Force. Finished 30/6

DaveJL

More done and we're nearly there. Flat coat applied, left to dry, then I added the missiles, exhausts and HUD. Once all dried, I added a light bit of weathering, mainly along the fuel tank, around the APU (which runs through the fuel tank!) and the exhaust area.

38362798386_f695289374_b.jpg

24547452658_e581a36ee0_b.jpg

38362784666_10be53f9b9_b.jpg

38418606251_16b22b2a5c_b.jpg

38418598441_7227fb0e01_b.jpg

Just need to add the canopy and windshield.

Dave

• Like 4

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, DaveJL said:

Thanks chaps.

Gents, I use Flory Models 'dark wash.' Add a small drop of washing up liquid to your bottle and shake. Large brush and just coat the entire airframe. Any build ups, for example along the intake/fuselage join, wipe off with a clean brush. Leave the wash to settle for at least 30 minutes. The excess on the large areas is wiped off with kitchen towels, in the direction of the airflow. Small areas are then cleaned up with cotton buds. I use vallejo gloss and it always comes off. I usually give 3 coats just to be sure. 

That is the stuff that I used Dave. I wonder if the problem that I have is due to me applying paint by hairy stick rather than Airbrush?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jabba said:

That is the stuff that I used Dave. I wonder if the problem that I have is due to me applying paint by hairy stick rather than Airbrush?

A lot of my work is done with a brush too, though the gloss is always sprayed. Can't see there being an issue as long as the coverage is the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

A lot of my work is done with a brush too, though the gloss is always sprayed. Can't see there being an issue as long as the coverage is the same.

Thanks Dave, I may have to give it a retry one day. Mind you I do apply my Klear coats with hairy stick.

8 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Thanks Dave, I may have to give it a retry one day. Mind you I do apply my Klear coats with hairy stick.

Try Vallejo varnish. Works a treat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Jabba, im a brush painter too. I followed DaveJLs master advice. Acrylic 4 tone grey splinter paints. I then did 2 coats of humbrol clear and about 2 hours later tried on a small end. I did both feeding into panel lines with watery humbrol grey ink. 40 mins later took it off with cotton buds and worked perfect. Later on I washed the whole ac and left 30 mins. Didn't come off as easy and some didn't come off. I'm wondering the sooner you do after your gloss dries might be a factor? I feel I'm moving closer to getting this right. Thanks DaveJL

IMG_5312_zpswamw2shc.jpg

not quite to Dave's standard but this is Defoe heading in the right direction..Thanks again Dave I have turned a corner Thanks to you.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 3:42 AM, Basilisk said:

Great progress with lots of attention to details :thumbsup:

I find build threads from other people a great way to learn all about pitfalls kits have and how to avoid them. I read as many of these kind of threads as I can find before I cut plastic.

Cheers, Peter

Defo, if you could see my models before I joined BM 😬 

Then compare them to now after advice, guidance from everyone on here 😌

To the encouragement from everyone...I'm now doing double builds and group builds, jets got a Russian, Ukrainian, Czech jet addiction.... love it. Thanks so much Britmodellor battalion. I put the steady improvement solely down to you 😥 Long way to go, but I know I am going in the right direction

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like it dave very nice scheme

Glynn

Thanks mate.

21 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Jabba, im a brush painter too. I followed DaveJLs master advice. Acrylic 4 tone grey splinter paints. I then did 2 coats of humbrol clear and about 2 hours later tried on a small end. I did both feeding into panel lines with watery humbrol grey ink. 40 mins later took it off with cotton buds and worked perfect. Later on I washed the whole ac and left 30 mins. Didn't come off as easy and some didn't come off. I'm wondering the sooner you do after your gloss dries might be a factor? I feel I'm moving closer to getting this right. Thanks DaveJL

Nice job on the kit mate, and glad my build is of some use to you. You're best leaving the gloss on for about 24 hours before adding the wash, otherwise it become tacky and the wash sticks to it. If you do have a bit of trouble removing the excess, a damp cloth normally removes the majority of it.

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Beautiful work and useful tips re fit issues and LH to RH swaps.

Hoping to build the 9-12 Early version as a Late Polish in the MiG-29 Group Build.

Thanks mate, look forward to seeing your builds. Hoping to enter a Polish machine myself.

• Like 1

Great, il do this with the next one, I can't wait! If it turns out like your Slovakian digital I'd be super impressed! Thanks so much for the tips..if I could post beers instead of likes ha! Thanks, this is brilliant 

45 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Great, il do this with the next one, I can't wait! If it turns out like your Slovakian digital I'd be super impressed! Thanks so much for the tips..if I could post beers instead of likes ha! Thanks, this is brilliant 

Glad to be of help mate.

• Like 1

Finished today. 

24524612038_80fbe434ac_b.jpg

24524623878_7742ced727_b.jpg

26620257609_3b72d135ba_b.jpg

24524696918_766523ae48_b.jpg

With my previous entry:

24524590138_db2e49f461_b.jpg

Enjoyed this kit, despite some of the issues. Here's a bit of a list for those of you (and  me!) planning to build one, or more, in the future:

1. If planning to use either the Jets own FOD covers and/or aftermarket ones, leave out the main engine assembly and only fit the exhaust portion.

2. Shave off the locating pins when adding the rear section of the intakes (parts C61 and C62)

3. Use plenty of clamps when adding the landing gear wells.

4. At step 6, parts H1 and H6 are opposite to that shown in the instructions (left is right and vice versa)

5. At step 13, the main landing gear (parts C4 and C5) are opposites as above.

6. Leave off the fins until after you've added the whole intake trunking.

Hope that's of some use!

Thanks to all who commented/followed.

Dave

• Like 3

Beautiful, both absolutely awesome.. I am a Czech guy and both are  magnificent but Slovak is just edging the magnificent plus 1 

great work..